3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death wobble

Gentlemen: Today I experienced Death Wobble driving 75 down the Intersate.
Talk about a an experience that I won't forget soon. What have others done to prevent this. I have read and think I'm going with the Thuren track bar & his Fox steering stablizer. Do I need to do anything else. I don't want to go through that again. Truck has BFG 315's & 24,000 miles on it & the tires.
Thanks for you help.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

New tires........ and Thuren steering stopped my d w
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dan33900
Talk about a an experience that I won't forget soon. What have others done to prevent this. I have read and think I'm going with the Thuren track bar & his Fox steering stablizer. Do I need to do anything else. I don't want to go through that again. Truck has 315's & 24,000 miles on it & the tires.
Thanks for you help.
Which 315's do you have?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 PM

BFG's rotated every 5,000 miles
Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 PM

BFG's rotated every 5,000 miles
There's your problem right there.....that's why I asked.

BFG 315's are notorious for DW. Seen it first hand on several trucks, swapped on another set of tires and the DW went away. Put the BFG's back on and the DW came back.......
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Well I guess I will have to look at tires now. Its time to look into the 20's I have been wanting.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

yep bfgs are what i had....
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Going through the same thing myself right now, wasn't bad for quite some time, now it seems to have made a triumphant return.
I was thinking of looking into the Thruen stabilizer because I seem to get some extra side to side play in the wheel with bumps and such.

stupid 315 BFG's...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM

I experienced a few slight occurances on the stockers. Then I put 33" TRXS MT's and scared the ***** outa me. Put a nitrogen charged FOX steering stabilyzer on and viola! Just put 35 TOYO MT's and the truck is even more stable. I feel much better letting my wife drive the truck now.

I still have my eye on the Thuren adjustable track bar and the DSS steering stabilyzer (and maybe control arms and anti sway bars) as I definatley do not want to experience the DW again.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Also get your local wheel alignment shop to advance your castor to max. That will help too

Kevin
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM

More than likely it's not just the tires. The tires MAY have something to do with it but they are not too blame fully. There is something in your front suspension that is worn and with the tires not having a rating of E you are getting DW. If the ball joints move at all they are worn. Dodge gives a certain tolerance but they should not move at all. If you want to fix this problems right... Find the worns parts and change them out , get an alignment, and new tires. Do not just cover it up. I had DW for two years, and I made sure that I fixed everything that needed to be fix. Do it right and you will not have to worry.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 AM

I've been fixing death wobble on several Jeep TJ's lately. they have the same front end design as the Dodge truck! If all the front end parts are tight and tires are balanced, it could be the control arm bushings!!!!! I've had several newer Jeeps 2003 and newer with low miles and nothing showing wear had death wobble as soon as a small lift was installed. The culprit was the control arm bushings are too soft in an attemt to make TJ ride better, they couldn't handle the lift angles or heavier tires.

Just have someone push your truck left and right and crawl under and see if the bushings are flexing any!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Talk about a an experience that I won't forget soon. What have others done to prevent this. I have read and think I'm going with the Thuren track bar & his Fox steering stablizer. Do I need to do anything else. I don't want to go through that again. Truck has BFG 315's & 24,000 miles on it & the tires.
Thanks for you help.
have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the tie rod ends, if you see any slop replace them first. My buddy & I just replaced ours haven`t had an issue. Looked at 2-3 other trucks and theirs were bad too, one truck had 32K...Didn`t get my thuren trackbar & steering stabilizer yet, but I`m sure that will allow it to never happen again.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Its not just the tires which gove the dw.but i have to say when you feel it you wont forget it.its only happen to me on my 05 i hit a holewhile the road was turning and man i thought i had a bad blwo out.then i slowed down and it went away.bout a month ago i was going down the freeway and another 3 gen ctd wanted to play he had a 3 inch lifted looked like and and so finally i gave in and stomped on it.well i notice all the sudden his tires were wobbling like crazy i was like oh crap hes gonna be scraed crapless.he pulled over,well i exited and then bout 5 min later he passed me and just waved.i wonder what was going threw his mind.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM

One thing to check is the steering box. I know of three trucks, including one of mine, that this was the problem. I have posted this fix several times and everybody seems to think I'm crazy. On my truck the dealership replaced the ball joints, tie rods and the track bar, nothing worked until I took the truck to a different dealership which replaced the steering box and that ended the problem.

Quick Reply: Death wobble