3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dealer Warrany issue (Banks)- Brilliant folks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Warrany issue (Banks)- Brilliant folks

Took my truck in today to have the weight put on the power steering lines (Dash Vibration TSB) as well as the one for the drivers door seal replacement, they also replaced 3 cab clearance lights that were cracked... anyway... to the interesting part. I removed just the Banks six-gun switch (actually just hid it in the dash) and left everything else connect (on level one just in case they drove it)... Figured they wouldn't have to hook up to ECM to do this type of work.... wrong..... morons did for S$&@ and giggles, I quess. I have dual pod guages and a big ole 5" monster exhaust spittin out the rear if thats not enough to give away my secrets I don't know what is.... anyway, service manager comes up and tells me they are going to void my cummins warranty.... YUP, not because of the Banks, but because on my last trip to Texas, I had to change my oil filter, and didn't have a replacement Fleetguard, so I put a K&N on there. They're more concerned about a oil filter than 2K worth of Banks??? Either they don't mind the Banks stuff or they are too stupid to know that the little red box isn't supposed to belong??????
Old 04-01-2004, 06:58 PM

well, sounds like you're in for a moss magnuson experience or whatever that warranty act is. So I take it that you have the truck now, all their ECM flash happines is done, and you are quarelling over an after market filter. How many miles on that filter?

If I were you I would immediately change oil/filter and save a sample of oil and go get it tested. ASAP. The reason for the oil change is twofold: (1) you absolutely must obtain a clean sample of oil, and (2) your maintenance records can show that you changed the filter as soon as you were informed about an alleged non-compliance. some oil analysis labs (if you can find one locally) will have ways of drawing oil from the crankcase through the dipstick tube. that would be the best. short of that, clean the oil pan to shiny new status, then wipe the area with a rag having some new engine oil on it (so that you dont' contaminate your sample with cleaning agents) and then pull the plug. be prepared during the drain to stick a collection bottle under there and catch some of the draining oil. An alternative to this is to crack the drain plug open a few threads and let the oil drain out slowly for a few minutes (this removes contaminants present on the surface of the drain plug.

Anyway I didn't know K&N made oil filters but even if your'e talking about their air filter you need to do an oil analysis, and correlate those results with the filter present on the vehicle. that will determine the silica level in the oil and will give you the evidence you need to show that the K&N was not letting dirt in the engine.

It is the responsibilty of the mfg to prove that an after market component was the actual cause of failure. technically it is against the magnuson moss warranty act to void a warranty without even a failure involved.

Your job is to collect evidence so that you can show that the K&N did not introduce dirt into the engine. you need to show that your current oil (affected by the K&N) has acceptable silica levels AND you need to show a trend over time. So you will need to test your oil again after you change it and put the same number of miles on it.

Then you go back to the moron dealer and ask him to prove that the K&N was or will be the cause of, well, cause of what? . In your back pocket you'll have the oil analysis results. If you get into a warranty dispute over the K&N, haul out the analysis results showing the condition of the oil with the same number of miles, one with the K&N installed and one with a fleetguard installed.

And next time I would take the Banks off. and hope that they dont' see those wire T-taps into the PCM...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 PM

Yes, K&N does make an oil filter, just so happens that I stopped at an Auto Zone, and it was between a K&N or a Fram..... I wouldn't put a Fram on my lawn mower. I drained the oil, took a sample to have analyzed tomorrow. As for air filters, I've ran K&N in all my diesels, back to my 98. My dad still has my 98 and 2000 dually, the 98 has 485,000 miles- nothing ever done but oil and filter changes with the valve lash done about ever 100K or when it felt like it was loosing power. The 2000 dually has over 250k on a K&N air filter no probs.....
I've had my oil analyzed a dozen times between the 5 diesels I've owned, never had a prob with silica or any foreign particles. On this truck I'm running the BD X-intake w/ big birth K&N.... no probs, 20+K on her so far
The dealer told me that if I bought a filter from them and installed it, they wouldn't void the warranty.... I bought one, drove 15 miles to my home town, went to the dodge store there, got my money back. Went home changed oil with Rotella T and new Fleetguard from my stock..... What they don't know, don't hurt them! I will still get the oil analyzed.....
Old 04-04-2004, 11:57 PM

I've only heard of the K&N's not liking some of the sand at certain sand spots like Glamis or Dumont in Kali. Other than that, the only other deal is to get them dirty. Clean K&N is not as good as a dirty K&N. Dirty ones filter better. By the way, I am speaking of the air variety. Yes, they make a oil filter. I'd like to see one of the stainless steel oil filters for the CTD. That'ed be cool. I just won't want to clean it. You think I'd be able to get the dealer to do it?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This might sound stupid, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to keep the filter you take off?

That way it could be examined if at some point someone tries to claim that adhesive or media came out of the filter and clogged a passage somewhere...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:07 AM

Ramasaur;
I was reading on a goldwing forum and ran across this. FWIW
It is a violation of the Federal Moss-Mangnuson act for Honda to deny a warranty claim based on not using OEM parts for routine maintenance. If Honda would attempt to do such a thing, not only would they subject themselves to possible federal prosecution, but under the terms of that act, they would become required to provide free oil filters to ALL GL1800 owners for the life of the vehicle. Do a search on google for the Moss-Mangnuson act if you don't believe me.
ramguy
Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the info.....I'm keeping the K&N filter just for the reasons mentioned above.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by ramguy
...............It is a violation of the Federal Moss-Mangnuson act for Honda to deny a warranty claim based on not using OEM parts for routine maintenance...............

It is provided your replacement part meets or is similar to the specifications of the OEM part. As an example, DC has a list of approved oil filters. Use any one of them, and you're OK. Use an unapproved one, and I believe the M-M act isn't going to help you. For the ISB engine, it was clearly stated in several sources, one being the Cummins web site, that they did not recommend the use of a K&N filter. Now, what's interesting is when I went to the Cummins FAQ site to copy the text down directly, that question is now deleted and is replaced by a "." next to the FAQ number. So, I don't know whether this is a good or bad indicator, but non-the-less, K&N swears up and down that their filters do not void warrantys.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I remember the Honda issue. I think it was filters built by an auto filter maker broke down under the higher heat generated by the more compact, high performance Goldwing motor.

Also, if I understand the warranty act correctly, yes, if a maker specifies a specific filter or fluid, rather than performance specifications that non-oem people can supply, they are required to provide those items for free.

On the other hand, if a maker can prove the non-oem filter failed, the warranty won't cover the engine, and you will have to try to collect from the filter maker.

My fear would be playing "Duck season!, Wabbit season!" (defective engine, defective filter) with companies that can afford better lawyers than I can...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 PM

all the above, plus finding a dealer that will work for you can make all the difference in warranty. I got all BS from one dealer and moved on to another dealer who replaced my warrantee problem with a new short block, no questions asked ! Big difference ! Good luck with trouble free 100k.