3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

cutting h2s with a hole saw

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
$65 for the saw? And a burnt drill? Shoot, a local machinist did mine for $80!

Thats how much i paid for a machinist to do mine.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Boz007
Thats how much i paid for a machinist to do mine.
Do you suppose the guys who used a hole saw or die grinder figured out how to balance the dang thing?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM

NO balance problems at all, It's really not rocket science; grab a hog and boar it then clean it up with a barrel sander
Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by one tonne
NO balance problems at all, It's really not rocket science; grab a hog and boar it then clean it up with a barrel sander
Exactly. So many guys keep talking about how cheap their machinist is (not including re-mounting and balancing), or the risk of a broken wrist, or a possible balance problem. Sheesh. It's so easy and so simple. There are no balance problems and if you are not familiar with a hole hog drill you should not be learning on this project.

It's a SIMPLE and quick modification that allows the use of these great wheels on Dodge trucks. What part of that is hard to get?

Wetspirit
Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
There are no balance problems and if you are not familiar with a hole hog drill you should not be learning on this project.

Wetspirit
After being a machinist for 20 years I can tell you more about the hole hog than I can about the H2 wheel.

I guess if maybe I saw a picture on how you are centering the "cutting tool", I'd understand better.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:22 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The center of the wheel that must be opened up is about 5/8" thick or so. About half of that thickness is already out to about 4 3/4 inch. So the hole saw drops into a recess and is held on center. You just lay the wheels, with the tires on, face up on the tail gate or some other surface. Then set the tool down into the recess and hold the hole hog so the saw is about square with the wheel. Then you slowly start the cut and don't apply any down pressure, the weight of the drill is plenty. The cut proceeds for about 15 to 30 seconds until the saw breaks through. It is held on center by being in the recess, in other words, the cut is partly done alredy. The saw is contained in the recess and held on center. All you have to do is carefully finish it. I'm sure if someone was careless or tried to run the drill at full speed to start, they might have the saw jump out of the hole. And that's why I say you should be familiar with the tool and it should be a hole hog style drill. A little care goes a long way, and done carefully, this is perfectly safe and quick. Once the tools are out and ready, each wheel takes about one minute to cut out and sand, start to finish.

Sand the rough surface with a drum sander until smooth and you are there. Test fit. Sand a little more if tight. Cearance is important, but not so much that the balancing taper on the back side is completely removed.

Just take a look at a set and you'll immediately see what I mean.

When someone starts asking "what's a hole hog", or "why can't I use a regular drill", or something like that, I recommend they don't do this because they are not familiar with this type of tool and how to make this type of cut.

When others continually try to point out every problem they can imagine, I simply say don't do it if you don't want to. I'm not trying to talk anyone into doing this, I'm simply passing along a really good and simple operation that gets it done right now, at home. Just sharing information. Use it as you wish. And there are other good methods too, like the machine shop, which is best for those not in a hurry and who are willing to spend a few bucks to get it done. Or the router, which sounds like a good method too.

Some guys are not hands on and they should not be trying this themselves.

Wetspirit
Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 AM

I have not had one single problem out of my H-2 rims that I modified with the hole saw...works fine no vibrations or balance issues.