3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

couple questions about royal purple..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 PM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple questions about royal purple..

if you're running royal purple 15/40 did you notice any benifits? how long were you able to stretch your oil change intervals? any increase in power or economy? would you stick with r/p or go with another brand? thank you. oil change coming up.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:36 PM

RP is outstanding synthetic oil. I use it in our Mustang Bullitt GT and former Powerstroke. Alittle better mpg and defiantly extended oil change intervals with uoa's. Starts and runs very smooth. I had/have very good luck with RP.

Boris
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran it for a long time in my 97. The biggest benefit was the outstanding UOAs with ext. service. I ran it up to 25k and the UOA was still great. I'm not using it now just cuz of limited availability. I'm getting Scheaffers closer to home but I might change to Valvoline Extreme syn next change cuz the Cummins store is a lot closer yet and that's where I get my filters anyway. I only put on 5-6k miles a year now so I'm not shooting for the super long OCIs anymore. I've used 6 RP products now and they are all awesome, I just don't want to drive to central Phx to get it anymore. RP had one of the best prices on their test kits too, the last time I bought them. Craig
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

RP is stationed out of porter, tx and make an excellent product. I am more of a fan of amsoil though I have 12k on my current oil change and no signs of lose in viscosity at all. I have a buddy who regularly gets 20k out of his and we have had 0 problems using it. I am also going to start adding motorkote everywhere in my truck. I have also talked to a few members with the FS2500 and they mainly hotshot one said he has gotten 140k out of his trucks with this and amsoil with a tested 98% viscosity still evident in a oil analysis test.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
kjp

guys i dont mean to steal the tread, but i was wondering i have a deployment to the sandbox comming up, but i want to switch to rp 15w40. do you think i should wait unitl i get back or go ahead with the switch. the truck will prolly not be driven much if any while im gone. suggestions.....
Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 AM

Put it in before you go.Heres also a place to ask questions. www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
j

whats a uoa? is this some kind of testing of the oil? can someone explain this to me please? thank you.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

Universal Oil Analysis I believe dont hold me too it though most people just collect their samples and take it into the local dodge place they have all the forms to fill out and send it in. Most of them on diesels will give you resolts with the Diesel in oil percentage I believe chrysteler says anything over 2% is bad and also get the viscosity % results.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:45 PM

I just switched to RP 15w40 and so far I've noted easier start ups for the truck and ALOT faster warm up times. The price wasn't very nice but a guilt free 10k oil change interval should offset that. Very happy so far. I also would like to note that I had oil pan seepage prior to the switch and after almost 1k the seepage hasn't gotten any worse or better. Which was a main concern of mine pre switch. Going to go Amsoil next time as I have found a local dealer now. Torco is also another synthetic alternative but, very pricey.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to try ext. service, I'd suggest taking the first sample at the oem interval. The test report will give recommendations on what to do next. It will say... times' up/change it or it will says how much longer to run it before another sample. A bypass is worth the $$ for ext. service. I've put 10k on my fullflow filter several times and the diff. pressure only goes up about 1.5 psi from the initial D.P. I'd first try getting sample kits from the oil mfgr you use. If they don't have kits or a UOA program, then go to an oil test lab for the kits. I did analysis for so many years I eventually spread my sample times way out cuz I never even had a marginal one with RP 15w40. Sampling has really helped me with box troubles, tho. It's helped me find the best gearlube. Craig