3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air intakes

Am I really gonna see a difference with it over stock or am I just gonna waste my money and which one to go with, I dont want my truck to be any louder either. Any pics of them installed on there trucks. Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

Regardless of the potential increase in hp, an intake, if nothing at all, will save you throughout the years of purchasing replacement filtration. For instance, AFE claims that foam or paper filters (common in stock intakes) generally last 10-15k miles, Pro Guard 7 on the other hand (oil based) should last up to 45k miles.....then all you need to do is clean it and never replace it. There are other benefits, improved throttle response and lower EGT's as well.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM

i did the swiss cheese stock air box mod and i had to clean my afe pro gaurd 7 drop in after about 3000 miles it was black and full of bugs.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you don't want it any louder, save your money and stick with the paper drop in's. The stock configuration is fine until you start adding performance mods, then it is a whole different ballgame.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 PM

cold air intakes

Anyone else have a opinion and pictures, I dont mind a litlle louder lke the turbo wistle but not of engine noise thats why I went with 3rd generation dodge instead of earlier because the noise. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 AM

air intakes

Anyone running the s&b intake and how do you like it how much louder is it than stock and what kind of gains did you see. Does anyone have any pictures. Any other suggestions on intakes.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:28 AM

Several guys on here are running the S&B setup and seem to like it. I am considering it myself....
Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Homemade Cold Air Intake

I personally made a cold air intake for cheap. Took a large K&N filter, i think it was model 1796 or 9176, something like that. Large cylinder style filter. Removed the top of the air box. Put a 4 inch PVC pipe in the hose end, glued a slightly smaller PVC pip inside that piece to attach the filter to, laid it in the box, put a prefilter (filter wrap) on it, and have had that for about 80,000 miles. No problems, spools very nice, smokes less, and less EGT's. Cost was $55 for the filter, $5.00 for both small pieces of PVC pipe from Home Depot, $22.50 for the prefilter.

Now, some argue that you must have an AFE, K&N are junk, AFE might have better filtering, although I believe it is very much offset when adding a prefilter, especially when considering the AFE is also cotton guaze, and their layering is staggered only, the guaze holes however remain constant, ie, it breathes because it does not reduce the size of the guaze holes as the layers get deaper. but same concept and i dont buy that K&N are horrible. No oil residue, no problems. But get the prefilter.

Now, others might say you must have a heat shield. I just rely upon the bottom of the air box to provide protection from the elements (road dust, spray from the bottom) and some heat protection. However, I also dont buy that I would see much if any improvement by adding a heat shield. I would like to add one though, it certainly wouldnt hurt, but a homemade one to save money. Case in point, did anyone catch the article in Diesel Power Magazine about the lady with the 1200lb/ft cummins, i think it was Rottin Rhonda or something like that. Look at her cold air intake. No heat shield whatsoever, not prefilter, and lots of power. When you are cruising down the road, the airflow seems to take care of the heat problem, at least mostly.

That said, if you have $300.00, buy the AFE system, then you dont have the head ache and it fits perfect, everyone likes it. If you dont have lots of money, make one out of K&N or AFE yourself, very easy and it works great.

V/R
Steve
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 PM

Cold Air Intake

We got the Cold Air Intake for our '05. Built our own for the '03 SO and used a 4" toilet flange and 4" dryer hose. It worked as well as the one we bought.

We have the AFE air tube and Progard 7 filter on the '03. It runs about 50 to 100 degrees cooler.

On the '05 we used the stock air filter and the Cool Hose from the outfit that makes the turbo air guide (Diesel Power Products?). That combination got us an immediate 100 degrees cooler egt's empty and 200 degrees lower towing the same load. Highly impressed with the cool hose. Tried the AFE pipe on the '05 and saw a little higher egt's.

J
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 PM

You might also consider the BHAF.....paper media lasts 50k and throw it away $38 and change from cummins. Better filtration and air flow than stock.

Jim