3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I do this?

Found a local transmission expert with 30+ years of transmission experience, and a lot of experience in building HD transmissions. I'd prefer to go to Goerend, HTS, ATS, Suncoast or one of the other big builders, but they're all a pretty good drive from here in the even that something would go wrong - though I might still go that way. Question is, if I buy the parts and have this local guy build the transmission, is it possible for me to "mix & match" different parts in the transmission. I know that may sound like a dumb question to some of you all, but I honestly don't know. Can I put a Goerend TC in the transmission with an ATS Copilot and flex plate, BD valve body, etc? Thoughts? Thanks.

Thomas
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can do what you ask and there are those that have. THe question is why? Two things, first, all the builders you mention tend to make their own stuff to be most compatible performance wise to their own stuff. In other words a Suncoast VB would be set up to the specific Suncoast TC that is installed and that VB may not work as well with a different TC. (having said that, Suncoast supplies TC's to other builders as well).
THe second thing is, you can have a tranny built by any of the folks you listed and they will ship that tranny to your tranny guy for install; IMO that is by far the best way to go regardless of who's tranny you go with. They all have their little tricks to make their stuff work best that doesn't get translated to the secondary builder. And most of them will dyno test the tranny before shipping to ensure that all is well (make any adjustments needed then on the test stand) and working just right before it ever sees your truck... can your builder do that? Or is it a piece it together, put it in the truck and test drive and hope for the best affair? Which would you rather do?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM

He can dyno it and will stand behind his work, but I tend to think that you're right. I was curious if I could find the parts cheaper elsewhere and have it built more cost effectively. I don't want to sacrafice quality for a minimal cost savings. If I'd only save 500.00 by doing it the "piece by piece" way then it wouldn't be worth it. What to do, what to do . . . haha

Thomas
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM

Most builders have a warranty too. You would lose this doing it yourself.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:34 PM

i paied for a suncoat vb, tc, hts billet shafts bd billet flex plate and bd clutchs and had a tranny guy install it all. was cheeper to do it that way but if i could do it over again i would of bought an entire tranny from someone.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
You can do what you ask and there are those that have. THe question is why? Two things, first, all the builders you mention tend to make their own stuff to be most compatible performance wise to their own stuff. In other words a Suncoast VB would be set up to the specific Suncoast TC that is installed and that VB may not work as well with a different TC. (having said that, Suncoast supplies TC's to other builders as well).
THe second thing is, you can have a tranny built by any of the folks you listed and they will ship that tranny to your tranny guy for install; IMO that is by far the best way to go regardless of who's tranny you go with. They all have their little tricks to make their stuff work best that doesn't get translated to the secondary builder. And most of them will dyno test the tranny before shipping to ensure that all is well (make any adjustments needed then on the test stand) and working just right before it ever sees your truck... can your builder do that? Or is it a piece it together, put it in the truck and test drive and hope for the best affair? Which would you rather do?
lol.. thanks for ammunition against my father when i tell him im buying a goerend instead of having his tranny builder build my tranny
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Suncoast valvebody

Originally Posted by soulezoo

Soulezoo are you saying that suncoasts valvebody isnt up to par? I just ordered one and now you have me worried. Dont they go through them and put the proper performance sfuff in there? I know the stock valvebody with a transgo held up to a couple years of abuse. Too bad the input shaft couldnt handle it. Oh crap!!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM

I dont think that he is trying to say that one or the other isnt good. Just that sometimes they will build their parts to work with their other parts. I am pretty sure that is what he was trying to get accross

Kevin
Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, what mork said. One builders parts may not work so good with another aftermarket company. Probably fine with stock.

I have seen people piece together trannys before, and things were fine.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 PM

i love my tranny from dusty at hts, i had a bad seal in it and had to take it to the dealer who did all the work to fix it, i could not ship it back to him due to time restraints. so i called and talked to hts and they had the dealer take pics of what was wrong and when it was all done they covered the cost. bottom line is most dealers will work with u if you cant get the tranny back just call and talk to them before u let anyone touch it if u do have an issue. I also use an ATS converter and dusty said it would not affect my warrenty some comps that i did talk to said they wanted me to use their converter or no warrenty.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Well I'm kinda around your area, I'm from out here in St. Charles. What shop are you talking about building your tranny? One reason I would go with all the same stuff is if something does mess up one vendor couldn't blame it on the other vendors parts not working with thiers. Don't think they would do that but it is a possibility.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 AM

me personally I wouldnt mix and match. I went thru the company I wanted with no middle man and im glad I did it that way I wouldnt change one thing about it. I would think if something breaks with all the mixing parts the warranty would be void. ive heard horror stories related to that topic also thats why I went the route I did
Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking that the best way is just going to be biting the bullet and either driving somewhere for the tranny upgrade or have a fully built tranny shipped in. I guess now it's just about finding a good place that's going to do me right on the price.

Thomas
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I can tell you first hand do not- DO NOT go to the local trans guy. I did and I should have just thrown over $3000 out the window, and alot more once I factor in all the return trips to his shop to try and fix it. A high hp high torque diesel truck needs to be built by the experts. The guy I went to is known around the country for his powerglides, also has some locals running his HD diesel trans. Its not about how much they know about transmissions its how much they know about a diesel trans. Some say a trans is a trans, I call ** on that. Once I put some real power down it slipped, once I did it right I realized all the problems I had he told me were normal. And worst yet when I pulled it after a few thousand miles to have it done right it was very aparant I was very close to being stranded on the side of the road. Ok rant off. My point, say no to the local trans guy whatever you do.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM

I would probably feel better about it if I just got it built somewhere that for sure knows what they're doing - even IF the local guy is good. Not sure I want to take a 3,000.00 chance on it. Thanks guys.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Can I do this?