3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cabin Fever Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
D45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the CFM+ on my truck for a week now, I can tell a huge improvement over the AFE Bladerunner......

I can now build more PSI, and build it alot faster.........before, I would have to really push it hard to hit 35 PSI and I can now peg 38-40 without any issues!.......on the stock HE341 nonetheless!

Cant wait to see how the ATS Pulse Flow and BD Super B Single react......the project will start Thursday!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM

Looks like you truck is getting alot of attention! I can't believe how much those FabTech shocks rusted already. Did you try anything to protect them over the winter?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
D45

Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
Looks like you truck is getting alot of attention! I can't believe how much those FabTech shocks rusted already. Did you try anything to protect them over the winter?
Yep, pretty bad for only being on the truck since November......I did put two coats of a wax coat on each of them.

I am going to look at my paperwork to see if there is any warranty on the outside bodies from rusting, pretty pathetic for such an expensive shock
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM

First off, I really appreciate someone who posts pics.

I've seen major rust issues with the desert race shocks on different vehicles. My buddy in MA had a set of Swayaways on his Tundra. They rusted so bad in 3 years that one coilover springs actually broke, and the coil carriers were frozen in place on the shock body. I had to cut the shocks apart and replace the bodies to rebuild them. The coils (powdercoated nonetheless) were trash and had to be replaced.

Most of the high end shocks were originally designed for 1-2 seasons of hard desert use in the southwest, then replaced by the newest thing. I don't think they will be warrantied, but you can order replacement body tubes for your next rebuild ($40 or so from www.kartek.com). The bodies are cosmetic, you want to keep the shafts clean and in good shape (wile off the buildup on the lower section of the shafts). If the shafts get pitted they will destroy the inner and outer shaft seals causing the shocks to leak. Replacement shafts are also available.

As for the CFM intake, it looks like they are using a venturi design to improve the push of the air entering the top of the head. Will the factory fuel system support one of those on an otherwise stock setup?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
D45

Well I finally got around to removing the stock turbo, stock manifold, and the elbow. For anyone attempting to do this for the frist time, dont be worried. This is my first swap, ever, and it was rather easy to do. There is plently of room on the passenger side of the motor to have easy access to just about everything.

The exhaust manifold mounting bolts were removed very easy, with just hand tools (1/2" ratchet).

I tried for about 2-3 hours to get the coolant hose support bracket off, with no luck. I ended up having to use an air powered cut off wheel, and the bracket, along with the last remaining manifold bolt was easily removed.

I was able to easily remove the oil feed line from the turbo, and thankfully it is the braided line version, so it will be easy to work with when reinstalling everything. The oil drain line was also easily removed.

I loosened the clamp for where the elbow meets the MBRP 5" downpipe......so the entire assembly came out in one piece.

I grinded down the two locating pins on the exhaust elbow, and clamped it to the Super B Single. I rotated the two exhaust clamps for the elbow-to-downpipe and also for the elbow-to-turbo, so they will both be alot more easily accessible when reinstalling everything, compared to how they were positioned from the factory

I also removed the oil feed line fitting and installed in onto the new turbo.....

I was already to start reinstalling everything, when I noticed the gasket for the oil drain fitting was partially on the stock turbo and partially on the drain fitting, ****!!!

I probably could have had everything installed today.....and hopefully I will be able to find this oil drain line gasket tomorrow!!

I also swapped over the EGT probe fitting, into the new ATS Pulse Flow manifold.

Enjoy the pics that I have, so far......
Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
D45

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
D45

Old 06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
D45

While the silencer is long gone....I was finally able to get the retaining clip removed:

Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
D45

I am sure the turbo oil drain line gasket is a Cummins only part.....good thing I have a local authorized Cummins center.

Question: If they do not have it in stock, can I just make my own gasket from a small section of a gasket sheet?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D45
I am sure the turbo oil drain line gasket is a Cummins only part.....good thing I have a local authorized Cummins center.

Question: If they do not have it in stock, can I just make my own gasket from a small section of a gasket sheet?
yup Git r dun Kyle!!! You are running out of daylight!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
D45

Originally Posted by cbrahs
yup Git r dun Kyle!!! You are running out of daylight!
I know, I know!!!

I need to find the gasket for the oil drain line, that fits between the bottom of the turbo and the oil drain line mounting bracket/fitting!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know the part number for this gasket?.....or does anyone know where I can find one ASAP!

My local Cummins center stated they cannot search for it, without a part number....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Go to: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Setup a account with your engine number, and you can search for any part you want.

Tobin
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Looks like the drain gasket is PN 4931365 for my truck anyways.

Tobin
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
D45

Thanks for the info........the local Cummins place had them for $1.59 each, so I bought two!

Running into quite a few obstacles, that hopefully I will be able to work out.....within the next day or two
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
D45

Well I have the ATS Pulse Flow manifold and Super B Single turbo mounted.

I had to slightly adjust/clock the turbo and rotate the intercooler hose upward, to get the 6 ply hose to line up

The oil feed and drain lines are also back on....one suggestion to anyone doing this: Have an extra oil drain gasket hadny, because this cost me like 12 hours of lost labor, because by the time I found out I needed one, the shops were all closed.

Also, removed the oil drain line from the rubber hose and bolt it onto the turbo before dropping it in!!!! This took me like 1 hour just to install two bolts for the drain line fitting, because I did not install it beforehand :

Then, the rubber hose that goes from the oil pan area to the oil drain line was way too short and it was not even lined up straight. Well 6 auto parts store later I just ended up with a 5" piece opf heater hose, which I hope will work.....it need to be bent and slightly offset, but the straight piece will do for the meantime, unitl I can find a better alternative, just because I do not like the angle of the straight hose, I would rather find a longer, molded piece

I put some oil in the turbo and spun the housing really good.....it did not take really any oil, I was thinking it would take alot more than it did, oh well

I spent literally 5-6 hours just dealing with the exhaust and the elbow, no joke......first I could not get the elbow to fit and then the trans dipstick support bracket was in the way, big time! I had to remove the bolt and really bend the dipstick out of the way.

I also had to remove all 4 of the exhaust hangers for the entire exhaust, and support the exhaust on jackstands, because it had to be moved back a good 2" in order to make room for the elbow

Then, I have to remove the stock spare tire, because it was in the way by the time the exhaust was moved back
2"

The elbow and downpipe/exhaust pipe is very, very close to the firewall insulation, which I hope will be ok

I still cannot get the elbow lined up properly to the downpipe, so I can securely clamp it into place

I reinstalled the pyro probe and have the Cool Hose mounted. I just need to finish installing the rest of the Icebox intake and hopefully get the stupid elbow/downpipe mated up and clamped

This is/was a huge project, for me atleast.....I thought the 4.5" Fabtech lift kit was much easier to install!

Oh well, hopefully everything will work, as needed.......The Arson III kit should be here next week, and hopefully I wont take 3 days to install that!!!

Quick Reply: Cabin Fever Upgrades