3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Black Chroming Badges

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Chroming Badges

Is it possible to have the stock badges black chromed? I wasn't sure if the black chroming process would work on the plastic badges. If so, has anyone done this yet?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:58 AM

Isnt Wiggs doin that? I love the idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Booz007 ( or something similar to that screen name) has his badges blacked out, but I don't think he did it with the black chrome process. I think his turned iout great! I was looking at his the other day, as I am thinking about "blacking out" my truck as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Yeah i just spray painted mine black. I just got another set of badges im going to fool around with. Im thinking about getting some of this VHT niteshades stuff to try. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spray...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM

Plastic can be chromed...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
Plastic can be chromed...
...Hence the reason we all have chromed plastic badges from the factory.

From what I gather, black chroming is a slightly different process. Just wondering if anyone knows enough about it to have some more insight?

<Paging Mr. D.Wiggs>

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Boz, since we're working on having the same truck anyway, I was wondering... Did you take your badges off and put them back on or did you just tape around them? I think I would like to 1/2 debadge and go 1/2 black. I wanna get rid of the Big Horn Edition and the SLT ones and maybe keep the rest. I might get rid of all of them other than the Cummins emblems - I dunno. I do know the chrome's gotta go, one way or the other. My bumpers will be here today or tomorrow and I'm supposed to meet that guy to trade grilles with.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 PM

jrussell,

That is what I meant...I talked to my "plater" a while back. Black or Regular.

Still picking on me? LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM

From what I recall, Black Chrome is more like powdercoating, so it has to be baked afterwards... Plastic probably wouldn't like that baking process is you know what I mean.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by JMalone
Hey Boz, since we're working on having the same truck anyway, I was wondering... Did you take your badges off and put them back on or did you just tape around them? I think I would like to 1/2 debadge and go 1/2 black. I wanna get rid of the Big Horn Edition and the SLT ones and maybe keep the rest. I might get rid of all of them other than the Cummins emblems - I dunno. I do know the chrome's gotta go, one way or the other. My bumpers will be here today or tomorrow and I'm supposed to meet that guy to trade grilles with.

I took em off. I very carefully measured and marked where they were supposed to be, then took them off and painted them. I did the same as youre talking about, half debadged and half black. My tailgate is clean, but i left the badges on the door and the Cummins badge.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
From what I recall, Black Chrome is more like powdercoating, so it has to be baked afterwards... Plastic probably wouldn't like that baking process is you know what I mean.
Yes, this is what I've read from others. Anyone else know for sure?

Cquestad, not picking on you man. Your first post didn't really offer any info or help. Most people say the black chroming process is completely different. So, you've confirmed the plastic can also be black chromed as well?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 AM

So how are the badges attached to the truck...just two-sided tape? Is the residue easily removed, and what did you use to reattach? Thanks. I like the black look.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 AM

Anybody got any pix of a black chrome badge
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM

There are two ways to "black chrome". The powdercoat "simulated" black chrome would not work. But...the real black crome is the same as chrome...but the nickel has something else in it to blacken the color. Minimal heat...and goes over the copper base coat the same as regular chrome.

So I was told...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
There are two ways to "black chrome". The powdercoat "simulated" black chrome would not work. But...the real black crome is the same as chrome...but the nickel has something else in it to blacken the color. Minimal heat...and goes over the copper base coat the same as regular chrome.

So I was told...
Nice!

Thanks for the info man.

Quick Reply: Black Chroming Badges