3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Billet torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billet torque converter

I was talking to my local tranny.............shop and I told him I wanted to add some horsepower, and what would be the best way to have the tranny (the one in the truck) hold up to an extra 150 horse power/200 ft lbs of torque. He told me he could put in a Billet Torque Converter. He said that that would probably do the trick. I am just wondering what you guys think. Is this enough? I have an automatic.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you will also need to upgrade the valve body to save the clutches in the tranny
Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM

yeah, get atleast the TC, and a valve body....if u plan on anymore HP add a billet input shaft & a billet flexplate too.... oh, and u could get either a HTS converter or a Goerend...the goerends have a lifetime warranty on them....
Old 12-22-2007, 05:30 PM

I think 150 is the most I will ever go. So torque converter and valve body. Got it! Thanks guys!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Cool. I work in Simi right off of Tapo. There is not too much in the Oxnard/Ventura area. If you know someone here too that would be some useful information also.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Lookup dunrite, suncoast, tci, goerend, and intelligent engineering (opie) all have their own torque converters and make good products. Great trans. companies to look up are dunrite, suncoast, goerend, nadp, hts, some like dtt but im not a huge fan of theirs afters seeing phils problems and that billet converter that looked bone stock.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM

I would say converter/valve body and flexplate. I talked to a couple guys and they all said the stock flexplate is weak. you might as well get one since they will be right there to do it
Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 PM

My trans guy says a stock truck can break an input shaft. If you never do a boosted start, rock the trans back and forth to get unstuck or pull heavy out of a hole or steep incline then you will be ok. But if you are paying for the expense to pull the tranny then spend the extra bucks for the input. Thats means a TC, VB, input and maybe flex plate. About 3 grand

When you add pressure with a valve body and then grab hard with a TC then the input is the next weak link.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madakira
I think 150 is the most I will ever go. So torque converter and valve body. Got it! Thanks guys!
Those are many guys last words.... then they get bitten by the bug.... think hard before you decide cause it's really expensive to do the trans twice. If you are really sure that 150 or so hp is all you "need" then fine, but most guys want more after they get a taste...

Ask me how I know.....
Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 PM

LOL!!! You guys are starting to sound like a women making a grocery list. As I am about to leave, the list keeps getting longer, and longer. It is cool though. I appreciate all the advice. If I can do everything for about 3 grand in parts I will be happy.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Those are many guys last words.... then they get bitten by the bug.... think hard before you decide cause it's really expensive to do the trans twice. If you are really sure that 150 or so hp is all you "need" then fine, but most guys want more after they get a taste...

Ask me how I know.....
450 is a lot of horsepower for me. I live in SoCal where all we have are rice rockets. I really just want the power because I am planning to put on some 37's and I just want the power to push them. I may do the occasional mudding when it does rain here (maybe once a year).I do make trips to Vegas quite often and I don't want driving up the mountains on the 15 to be a problem either.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM

37's are gonna make 450hp feel like stock.... and kill your mileage also... I'm sure you knew that already though....
Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Yeah. I was contemplating 35's also. All I want is my truck to feel like stock. I am a little worried about my mileage though. That is why I was contemplating 35's. I only drive about 9000 miles per year. Do you recommend anything. My last truck was an 01 1500. I am new to diesels. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM

I had 35" PJ Dirtgripz which I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless you live in the dirt and mud. Loud, rough riding, and terrible mileage.
I think anything larger than stock is gonna eat hp and mileage.
I'm running a 33" tire now, which is a compromise, but looks pretty good to me anyway. Nitto Terra Grapplers. Also, make sure you have load range E's. It's really a matter of preference, as in, what matters most to you - Looks or performance? If you gotta have a bigger tire, go ahead, they look awesome, just be prepared. Keep reading, others here have tons of knowledge about the subject.

Quick Reply: Billet torque converter