3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Super Scoop

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Super Scoop

Anyone running the super scoop or know how it keeps the rain out?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM

I realize no one realy likes the banks stuff but I thought someone might know how it keeps the rain from being sucked up the scoop.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 AM

I have it, truck runs better, no problem with water in intake, there is a vent on the side of the scoop
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM

It is also still pulling air from inside the fender so it is not using the scoop as the only source for air.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it looks like something you could make for cheap
Old 09-18-2009, 04:08 AM

I have it on my 06 and like it very much. It doesn't pull air from inside of the fender unless you want it to. See there is a door that you can open in the side of the air box to allow air from inside of the fender. This is good for the winter time so if you go through deep snow and plug the scoop the truck will still run. (I remove the door at the beginning of winter and close it in the spring) As for thr rain the scoop has an opening in the back so the rain will pass right through. I really like the scope and would highly recommend it.
Take care guys,
Topper
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 AM
I watch wind blow...

I thought about making something out of some 4 inch pvc sewer pipe after i swiss cheesed the bottom of my air box. never got around to it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 AM

AFE Stage II and Banks with Scoop

Coming in to this post rather late...

I currently have an AFE Stage II in my truck and a temperature probe just after the air filter and one in the AFE blade (just before the heater grid). And you know, the AFE sucks warm engine air... ...the temps coming into the air filter are much hotter (about +20 deg C) than the ambient temperature. On another note, the intercooler must do a pretty good job because it drops the charge air a few degrees (about 5 deg C) from the intake temperatue and keeps it there even under heavy boost (stock turbo).

So I decided to purchase the Banks system with scoop to see the difference......I'm about to intstall it this coming week so I'll let you know if there is concrete evidence of a temperature drop. I suspect there will be as the AFE doesn't have much in the way of stopping hot engine air from getting into the intake. Its "box" is is a pretty poor excuse for a box, IMO...

I also I think the AFE is a cheaply manufactured system because my air filter fell off...even with the band clamp tight...you figure they could put more of a lip on the plastic tube it connects to...especially considering the size of the intake and weight of the filter...all that jarring...so I glued it on ...since I knew I was going to ditch it anyhow.

It was funny...I got the third degree when I told the local (and infamous) shop I wanted to get a Banks system to replace my AFE...

Anyone want my old AFE system?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 AM

I will be looking forward to the results!!!
Topper
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 AM

heck ya i want it pm me buddy (the intake)
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM

I just switched from the AFE 2 to the Banks with out super scoop and I'll will say that there is definatley a difference in temps running down the highway and also a difference in temps on start up.....my AFE on a hot day would sit under my hood and just get heat soaked from running the engine and then when I would turn the truck on temps would be 150+ with banks on start up same conditions it is around 100 degrees on a warm day after runnin the truck and letting it sit for a bit before i got back in it and fired it up. Also once started the decrease in temp is much greater/faster with the banks kit....I cant wait to get the super scoop....makes me NOT want to get twins cause I'll have to get rid of a good product.

For example this morning running 80mph here in wyoming on the interstate temp was 44degrees (overhead reading) and banks temp was readin 58 degrees just last week with same temp same time in the morning same speed "cruise" with AFE temp was 74-78...... "In town" cruising temps are closer to each other but banks is still lower. I am truly a believer in the product. The reading are coming from my "intake" option on my bully dog PMT
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Edmonton...
Look forward to your results..
I have one of these on order.. including scoop and it does look like a nice piece..
Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Hey guys,
ya know i'm not a huge Banks guy or anything and I know not alot of people here are big Banks supporters but I can tell ya this much the stuff that I have gotten from Banks has worked and worked very well. Like most people I think it is high priced but at least it's not high priced junk like some of the products that I have bought.
Topper
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Two stage experiment

Hmmm...what I'll do is perform the install in two stages: the banks filter system w/box first, then add the scoop. We'll see if just the banks system makes a difference, and then if the scoop makes a difference (in terms of lower temps).

If you are pulling in lower temps, you should be makin' more power...all other factors remaining the same of course (if the Banks can flow as much as the AFE).
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM

subscribing...what about the one HTT makes? any info on it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Banks Super Scoop