3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Attn lifted truck owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 AM
pik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn lifted truck owners

I am uncertain about lifting my 2003 quad cab. I recently put 35 inch open country a/t's and now have a slight rubbing issue. I now have a 2" leveling kit on the front, but it is just not cutting it.
Do any of you lifted truck owners regret adding a lift?? I have experience the dreaded death wobble and changed front end parts to "fix". Are there any driving issues as such with a lift?? What would you do differently if you could??
Looking to get a lift from Top Gun Customs. Checking out one of there Tough Country lifts with new front coils and lift block for the rear.

Thanks in advance for the replies
Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM

I would say a Lorenz, Kore or Carli ...all fit 35" tires, offer better springs / ride / performance
Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
pik

Are those kits really worth the additional amount of Money?? Anyone of those brand lifts that are similar is almost 2x's the price! My truck will see a dirt road every once and awhile. NO off roading planned with this truck. I have a trail rig for that. Just looking for someting that will function well with no added kwirks to drivability.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM

BDS 6" standard kit here with 37" Geolanders. I love it, and would do it 100x again.

Also there was a thread a while back saying that those BFG A/T's can cause a death wobble. Try switching those back to stock or something else, I'm sure you will fix it
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pik
I am uncertain about lifting my 2003 quad cab. I recently put 35 inch open country a/t's and now have a slight rubbing issue. I now have a 2" leveling kit on the front, but it is just not cutting it.
Do any of you lifted truck owners regret adding a lift?? I have experience the dreaded death wobble and changed front end parts to "fix". Are there any driving issues as such with a lift?? What would you do differently if you could??
Looking to get a lift from Top Gun Customs. Checking out one of there Tough Country lifts with new front coils and lift block for the rear.

Thanks in advance for the replies
I have the Tuff Country lift on mine, no problems.

I retained my factory front springs and went with the spacers instead of the new coils, did not want to sacrifice my ride.

My drivers side front coil is a 986, passenger side is a 985, Tuff Country told me both their front coils were the same. Dodge installs the heavier spring on the drivers side due to our fuel tank. If you look at your front coils, you will find a white tag which identifies which springs you currently have.

Hope that helps, Jess
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
pik

Don't want this to get into a 'this lift is better that this lift' thread.
Just want opinons of those that have lifted truck as to whether they like the lift or they have added driveablility issues by adding one.
Thanx
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM

I like my lift and the way it looks but I do not like to get in and out of it b/c I am old
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
pik

Thanks guys.... anyone else???
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
ICL

You get what you pay for, the top end kits are exactly that. I have no problems whatsoever, and would do it again. Carli, Thuren, Lorenz, Kore, they are all worth the extra green. Try to get a ride in a truck outfitted with any of these kits if you can. See for yourself why you should spend the extra cash.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 AM

ya the high end lifts are good, but alot of coin. I got the 6" BDS long arm. It rides way better than m,y old super lift and with some good shocks, it makes all of the difference. Only regret i have with lifting my truck is have to listen to the old lady nag every time she has to get in.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM

I went with Lorenz as it met my needs / goals (minimal offroad)....only you can determine what's right for you....but i agree with the above...you get what you pay for....

I saw a truck with replacement coils (not lorenz, carli, kore) and next to my lorenz coils, it's almost embarrasing....there's a huge difference in the number of winds and the material of each....how it impact's ride, i cant say, but visibly, they're opposite ends of the spectrum...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM

6 inch superlift here. I have had no problems whatsoever and would not drive an unlifted truck. I run 37 inch toyo tires also.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM

4.5 inch Tuff Country, what I would call the economy lift. Great looks, but not something I would be off roading with. Very cost effective, quality seems OK, but not going to offer the ride/capabilities that the Lorenz or Carli are going to give you.

Obviously with the lift and bigger tires the DW becomes more of a concern, but I have not had an issue so far. Also, axle wrap is more pronounced, and I can't even think of spinning my tires without significant shaking. Hope that a set of traction bars help cure this.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 PM

I started with the KORE 2" leveling kit (HD Springs, bilstien shocks, drop blocks) and noticed little to no difference in the ride over stock. I would venture a guess that ciol spacers would net a similiar effect.

Now at the time the KORE kit only came with HD coils and was like $550. Recently they (and everyone else) started using "variable rate" coils.

I just isnstalled the Lorenz 2.25 Sway-away system (your write, they aint cheap) with the VR coils and I must say without hesitation the VR coils made a HUGE difference. http://lorenzindustries.com/kits_swayaway225.html

If you are truly looking to change the ride I stongly suggest at the least going with a VR coil.

As a note KORE reduced there leveling kit to around $350 (VR coils, Bilstien shocks, and drop blocks) to $335.
http://www.koreraceshop.com/kore-hp-...08-diesel.aspx

If your looking for a boost all around there new HP series will cover you for around $620.
http://www.koreraceshop.com/kore-hp-...-diesel-2.aspx

But, I went with Lorenz becouse side by side theres looked to be a better setup (regarding quality of products) and read an article where the ride was a little smoother when compared to Carli and KORE.

The Lorenz kit eliminated the jarring nature of almost all bumps and handles like a dream on the highway. Before the install my door locks would rattle (among other things) at highway spead just from the expansion joints.

Afterwards, all is smoooth, awesome.

As far as death wobble, I experienced it when the truck was brand new (out goes those who blame it soley on worn parts) and it was emphasized when I put bigger tires on it.

Disapeared completely after I installed this:http://www.koreraceshop.com/kore-rac...ng-damper.aspx

I'm sure it was a bit overkill but like I said it completely eliminated the death wobble for me.

As far as rubbin, unfortunately I think it comes with the bigger / wider tires.
Most say the only way around it is new wheels with increased backspacing.

I called these guys and they had a 1/4" spacer that didnt eliminate it but did help quite a bit: http://performancewheel.com/spacers....egory=6&gacid=

Quick Reply: Attn lifted truck owners