3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

AirDog 150 & tank vent mod install on a Megacab

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogers259
factory return stays in place, I used a stock fuel filter delete kit and removed the stock fuel line from the truck along with the stock filter houseing. I capped the stock fuel feed at the sending unit. Added the 1/2" drawstraw that Mark used on his (green anodized one) just behind the fuel inand out on the sending unit. My truck had the modded canister in tank pump. I removed the pump and black braceing and modded the bottom of my canister just like Mark did.

Now this is where we have a problem with the 05+ and Jeep liberty sending units there is plenty of room on top of the canister to install two 1/2" drawstraws and feed the return from the airdog into the sending unit basket. With our sending unit we have that grey vent on top and I was afraid if I removed it the hole would beto large so...I used my second 1/2" (flexible) draw straw from GDP and drilled a hole in the tank just below the sending unit and fed the line into the sending unit basket. Let me tell you that pipe is flexible but dont count on being able to make ballon animals out of it as its rather stiff.

Now when I did the install the gas light was on in my truck and the over head said 10miles to empty. After the install I turned the key to on and bled the line out at the sensor for the fuel pressure gauge. I cycled the key to on 3-4 times then started it...truck started immediatly and read 25psi sitting parked and idleing while I checked for leaks. Headed out to fuel up, out the drive down the road to the end of the subdivision and reading 22psi. Stoped at the sign and it flucuated to 8psi then back to 23psi. Never saw below 22psi till i turned it off at the pump reading 5 mile to empty.

I'll try and get pictures of the unit but I neet take care of the leak on the drawstraw, I drilled it undersized by an 1/8, guess it wasnt enough
See thats the ONLY thing Im worried about putting 2 drawstraws in. If I take that grey vent out will the hole be go big? I figured I could get a bigger washer top and bottom of the canister so the size of the whole wouldn't be a issue and maybe apply some type of sealant while I tighten it down.. What ya think?? I was going to cut the factory feed and return hook ups off and put the ad feed right there. I was going to use that lil nipple that had that black rubber nipple cap on it for the factory cp3 return
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by blwnsmke
See thats the ONLY thing Im worried about putting 2 drawstraws in. If I take that grey vent out will the hole be go big? I figured I could get a bigger washer top and bottom of the canister so the size of the whole wouldn't be a issue and maybe apply some type of sealant while I tighten it down.. What ya think??
Not sure, but it was big enough that I wasnt going to chance it at 2am and not be able to get the truck working the next morning for work. It probably could be done with the GDP draw straw but your going to need to do some dremel work and get your self some larger washers.

I was going to cut the factory feed and return hook ups off and put the ad feed right there. I was going to use that lil nipple that had that black rubber nipple cap on it for the factory cp3 return
Between the black nipple cap around to where the factory feed/return, I dont think your going to be able to put in two side by side drawstraws. Any farther around and you run into the draw straw possibly contacting the fuel gauge equipment. I'd think if your going to do it you'll need to take out that grey vent and try to use that hole if possible.

Hope that helps, I know I did mine different because thats what worked for me to get my truck back up and running and the solution seems to have worked well. I'm sure there are a bunch of solutions to the problem and all are correct as long as they work and solve the problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rogers259
Hope that helps, I know I did mine different because thats what worked for me to get my truck back up and running and the solution seems to have worked well. I'm sure there are a bunch of solutions to the problem and all are correct as long as they work and solve the problem.
Im going to use GDP drawstraws. Im going to use the grey vent hole and just use larger washers. Im also going to cut the drawstraw inhalf and attach rubber fuel ether hose like 53willys did so its not hitting anything.. Shouldn't be a issue I don't think
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM

(an old thread, but a goodie )

If you used the stock fill vent line as the AD return (like 53 *****'s), did you have any problems with that stock bulk head fitting? Did you find that it had a one-way valve built into it? (meaning, the flow only goes from the tank outward)

Some other folks mentioned that I should be aware of this, and this maybe a year / model thing or generally a the part Dodge used for a period of time.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM

This is an old thread, the pics on page 1 of it was his PLAN A but he had problems when he got low on fuel.

He then changed it to draw from the canister and also pumping the AD return to it to cure the problem as you can see in the WIKI post here, after UPDATE

http://wiki.dieseltruckresource.com/..._%26_Tank_Vent

He also was a big help with my AD100 install in my signature.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Thank you - I did see the Wiki link at the bottom of the page.