3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air Ride-Why don't more people do it

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitedually
if you search there are companies that offer air bag set ups like what they have in tractors but really pricey and not sure how much better it would ride, i found one that replaced everything out back and would level automatically like in a tractor it was like $3500 not installed , and no additional lift
i looked at a system like that too-except i kinda wanted the front to be in air as well. For that little option, they want a lot more.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM

My neighbor has a 05 1ton duelly set up with air bags in the rear. The leafs are completely removed and replaced with a four link setup and the air bags are the same style you would find in a bigrig, just smaller. It has an auto leveling valve and an onboard air compressor. Really neat setup, and rides awesome. The guy he got it from used to deliver RV for a living, and had had it all installed.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As with anything on our trucks, as you add complexity, you add more things that can go wrong or break. This affects reliability, but does not necessarily make it "unreliable"... if so, let's get rid of electric windows, AC, power steering, power brakes and etc... because those can all fail and maybe leave us stranded, right?

I mentioned the Range Rover I have previously and it has air suspension with air bags. It has 150k miles on it. I replaced one bag that started a slow leak in 14 years at the cost of $90 and one hour's labor... does that sound that unreliable or unreasonable to anyone? If they were that unreliable, I sincerely doubt the big rigs would be using them where reliability is paramount.

Now cost, complexity, need or any number of other reasons may be a good excuse to not do air suspension; they are not for everyone, obviously. However, reliability should not be a part of the argument. IMO
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^ Totally agree with ya there. I have several hundreds of thousands of miles from my OTR days and never once had a bag fail on my Pete. We hauled cattle and rodeo stock so I was not always nice to the ol girl at times. Got into some pretty hairy situations that a big rig should not be and she always performed.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Air Ride has a kit for the 2nd gen dually. I dont see why it would be that hard to convert the rear into an airbag setup. A 4 link and panhard rod should take care of it. Just attach the bottom links in the spot of the leaf springs, add a crossmember for the upper links.

The front should be able to just use cups on the top and bottom of the bag as a spacer. Then you need to build something custom for the shocks.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

I want this kit for my tow rig, just dont have the $ http://www.talon-usa.com/
Old 08-15-2009, 05:59 PM

I have bags on both my trucks, but only the ones that still keep the springs on, but I've been looking into trying to fab some myself that will be a complete true air ride in the rear.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also wonder why more dont use an air ride rear suspension, you dont really need a 4 link with 4 air bags, a 2 link with 2 bags like most semi's use would be fine. the biggest thing that stears me away is the cost, $3500 is about $1500 to much, now $3500 for both front, rear, compressor, tank and all parts included wouldnt be so bad.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

How hard would it be to gather up the needed parts for a typical Peterbilt air leaf suspension and make it work for a Dodge 3500?

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com...AIR_c_496.html

Name:  airleaf.gif
Views: 5630
Size:  32.8 KB
Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look a KORE suspension upgrade if you want a smoother ride. I haven't rode in a truck with one but have read good reviews.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM

some guy on here made his seats air ride , that would help alot!, not sure how his is holding up. its crossed my mind also!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM

I own a truck with a Kelderman air ride suspension and one with a Thuren Fab suspension, so I can give you an honest opinion of both.

The Kelderman does ride a tad bit better than stock, but for the money it is not what you are looking for. It is not hard to install, but it does take a couple days to complete because of the air system. It also has the inherent problems associated with an air system...leaks, freeze-up, solenoids sticking, etc. If I were to do it again, I would not do an air ride. Don't get me wrong, it is cool and all, but its too much of a hassle and not a noticeable improvement in ride.

The Thuren Fab suspension (Coils, Full Leafs, 2.5" King Shocks, Control Arms, etc.) is unbelievable! It rides better than any truck I have ever been in. I drive a lot of rough roads and it just floats over the big bumps. Everyone that rides in my truck comments on how well it rides on rough roads.

Go with a Thuren Fab suspension, or something comparable from Carli suspension (2.5 or 2.65 systems) and don't look back! You will be amazed at the difference.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff K
I own a truck with a Kelderman air ride suspension and one with a Thuren Fab suspension, so I can give you an honest opinion of both.

The Kelderman does ride a tad bit better than stock, but for the money it is not what you are looking for. It is not hard to install, but it does take a couple days to complete because of the air system. It also has the inherent problems associated with an air system...leaks, freeze-up, solenoids sticking, etc. If I were to do it again, I would not do an air ride. Don't get me wrong, it is cool and all, but its too much of a hassle and not a noticeable improvement in ride.

The Thuren Fab suspension (Coils, Full Leafs, 2.5" King Shocks, Control Arms, etc.) is unbelievable! It rides better than any truck I have ever been in. I drive a lot of rough roads and it just floats over the big bumps. Everyone that rides in my truck comments on how well it rides on rough roads.

Go with a Thuren Fab suspension, or something comparable from Carli suspension (2.5 or 2.65 systems) and don't look back! You will be amazed at the difference.

Just my $0.02
nice to hear an honest answer from someone who has tried both. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

I just got a quote from Trex technologies-he seems like a really nice guy. Sent me some pics of a truck he did last week. No electronics-simple air ride ride height sensors. Quoted me 6g's for 4 corner 4 link w/up to 7" lift.

Still kinda steep for my budget.....but much cheaper then the kelderman. they wanted 6750 just for the hardware-another 3 for the ecm ride height controller....