3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Air Intake really needed??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake really needed??

I have been looking at getting a new air intake AFE stage 2. But I have looked on some past posts here and some guys think its not needed unless your really amping up the engine with a programmer or chip. I know 2 people who bought air intakes and they said they could not tell the diff in power or performance of the engine, just the sound of the turbo. I dont want to spend alot of money just for the sound of the turbo. Anyway looking for some comments on this issue.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake alone won't help power. If you want one do a *****'s whistler or a aftermarket drop in. The AFE is also one of the most expensive out there.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
I have been looking at getting a new air intake AFE stage 2. But I have looked on some past posts here and some guys think its not needed unless your really amping up the engine with a programmer or chip. I know 2 people who bought air intakes and they said they could not tell the diff in power or performance of the engine, just the sound of the turbo. I dont want to spend alot of money just for the sound of the turbo. Anyway looking for some comments on this issue.
Modify your own airbox. Parts to modify mine cost <$30 from Home Depot. AFE torque tube was ~$80. Amsoil OEM replacement filter was ~$40. Pantyhose for over the end of the 4" tube hanging below my airbox...........well, you'll have to source those out for yourself. I won't say where mine came from.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Cool Hose along with the Amsoil Nanofiber drop in filter. I have also did the airbox mod thats similar to the PSM intake tube which sounds similar to Festus' box. Mine didn't cost as much as his though but I made up for it with the Cool Hose!

The Amsoil filter will flow about 800 cfm vs. the stock paper filters 600 cfm so its a decent first mod. Filtration is excellent with Amsoils nanofiber filters!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM

Swiss cheese the bottom of the stock air box with a paddle drill bit.
Put in a high flow drop in filter, like the Amsoil, or a WIX brand like I use.
Gut the insides of the stock 'torque tube'. Do a search for the procedure.
This will give you plenty of flow unless you really bomb the engine and costs zero.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 PM

what about if i add just a edge juice attitude and say run on level 3 or 4? will i need a aair box for that other than stock?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 PM

The only thing I have done is open up the front of my airbox and remove the rubber panel that covers the gap between the radiator and the headlight. I then dropped in an aftermarket filter. All the tubing, air direction fins, silencer ring, etc. are all still stock and in place. You can see the dyno numbers in my sig.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 PM

ok so swiss cheese the bottom half of stock air box? whats a good aftermarket drop in? i heard oil ones arent good for diesels? why i dont know?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by omaharam
The only thing I have done is open up the front of my airbox and remove the rubber panel that covers the gap between the radiator and the headlight. I then dropped in an aftermarket filter. All the tubing, air direction fins, silencer ring, etc. are all still stock and in place. You can see the dyno numbers in my sig.
That shows right there that you dont have to have the expensive air intake to get the job done! I think i will try this method. where can I learn more about the summit filter.?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
That shows right there that you dont have to have the expensive air intake to get the job done! I think i will try this method. where can I learn more about the summit filter.?
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

It's a K&N sold under the Summit name. It is an oiled filter and I'm not sure it is the best choice. I've actually been thinking about changing, but I'm hopefully doing twins in the spring and that will change everything anyway.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM
HOV

Omaharam, I like that idea about opening up the front. Very smart, I'll check that out.

As for a 3-D unoiled air filter, check the one in my sig. It's physically the same as the K&N stock drop-in, but doesn't need oil.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
D45

Originally Posted by bighornram
Intake alone won't help power.
Poeple also thought this about the intake manifolds like CFM+, Bladerunner, etc..........but the results are impressive.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

A good cold air intake will help lower the egt's. I like my BHAF
Old 12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

has anyone tried something like this?
http://store.airflo.com/psi-04.html
Old 12-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
A good cold air intake will help lower the egt's. I like my BHAF
+1, though I've made no effort to isolate the heat from it. A generic 4" inlet BHAF doesn't seem to be in favor these days. I wonder why.

(Though I love the thought of a Whistler, I think it'd be obnoxious on a long, heavy-pullin' trip.)

Quick Reply: Air Intake really needed??