3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air compressor for CTD

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air compressor for CTD

Anyone use OnBoardAir's air compressor kit on the Cummins since '02?

Also, according to Jake's website yoiu can get the brake in a pneumatic version. I'm thinking about this for the '06 with a pneumatic (not vacuum) exhaust brake, since it seeems apparent that DC has approved the brake with the automatic.

It would also be nice to have compressed air for air bags, tools in the field, low tires, a BHAH (big-honking-air-horn).

Tony
Old 06-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm working on getting some sort of air on my pickup. There are several folks around here that have air systems. Probably get some good ideas. (I've been told some of mine were hairbrained, but they probably were.)

I used to have a 6 inch tube bumper on my other truck that would hold enough air for a couple low tires. May do the same to this bumper.

Ed
Old 06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, Kilby Enterprizes (www.onboardair.com) is making a bracket for us. They had a little delay, but from what I understand 03-04.5 brackets are done, but 05's have a different radiator shroud support.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:18 PM

I have the on-board AIr on my 01. I use it constantly. Last week I had a flat on the freeway. What a breeze to have air. Air jack to jack it up and an impact to change it. Back on the road in minutes.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:32 PM

Thanks guys!

I like the idea of an air tank bumper; but am interested in a more sustainable source.

John, Is that info on good authority? Also, it sounds like you are implying that the radiator shroud support could be cut back a little to clear the compressor / pulley. True?

Thanks!

Tony
Old 06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Tire Hater

No sir, I did not mean it should be cut. From what I understand, if I remember correctly, on 04's the shroud mounts to the body, and on 04.5-05 it mounts directly to the engine, so it requires a different bracket. Give Kilby a call on Monday, they're very nice on the phone, and bend over backwards to get stuff done for you.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Shortly after I purchased my '03, I installed an on-board air system. I went with an electric compressor from Extreme Outback Products - the ExtremeAire2. It's a 100% duty-cycle, 150psi compressor. I mounted it on the transfer case skid plate: compressor

I mounted a 4.5 gallon tank to the frame rail. All the necessary pieces came from 4x4 Connection. You can see it mounted here. The orange line comes from the compressor. The yellow line runs to the Hadley airhorns mounted up front (the tank-mounted solenoid came from Hadley, as well). Off the back of the tank is another air line that runs to a quick-connect coupler I put on the trailer hitch, for running air tools.

I've since changed the fitting on the air compressor to a quick-disconnect, making removal of the skid plate simple (there's a disconnect in the +12V line, as well). This has a side benefit in that it leaks - just a little bit. Since there's a check valve on the tank inlet, this lets the pressure bleed out of the hose, so the compressor isn't starting up against any air pressure. I wired the compressor with a 100A relay, and a 50A circuit breaker, directly off the battery. The relay is switched through the pressure switch, which gets powered from an ignition-on circuit. This way, the compressor only runs with the key on.

There's enough reserve air to spin off 8 lugs, and tighten them back up again, without waiting for the pressure to build back up. One night, when helping a friend with a flat on an F-450, we did have to wait, because we had to bust 10 lugs loose on the rear, remove a tire, tighten the lugs back up, then pull the front tire off (no spare - he's a Ford guy, what would you expect?). That didn't seem too bad to me. The tank goes from empty to 140psi in about 3 minutes.

An engine-driven compressor is still the ultimate way to go... the problem is, it's not for everyone. It won't fit with my other modifications, so I'm stuck in the world of electric compressors. <sigh> The things we do for 600HP

-Tom
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 PM

John, Thanks for the clarification. If I get time this week, I'll give Kilby a call.

TOm, thanks for the info and Pics.

Just another perspective. I think I'd prefer to have the engine as opposed to the 12V; diesel engine will idle longer that the 12V batteries will last.

Thanks All!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:32 PM

I have used my air system to run an impact, air jack, pop rivit tool, and die grinder. I have also used it while dismounting and mounting tires. While repairing the steering on one of the race cars it powered the grinder continually for 10 minutes. It slowed down a little but kept it going. I use the truck as a support vehicle for a race team at Bonneville and the dry lakes. Never let me down.