3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket diesel pumps...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Fass ddrp and can't hear it once the engine fires up. You'll hear all of them until they pressurize or the engine starts.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Another vote here for the Walbro system. I just like the fact that I can go to any auto parts store and replace just the pump if nessecary. I have had mine in for several years now and probably 75K with no trouble. You can't hear this thing at all and I have heard the FASS ones way too noisy for my taste.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 yrs on my walbro and it's very quiet. I hook up a gauge every yr to make sure it's working and it hasn't lost any pressure. I carry a spare just in case. $115. Craig
Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM

walbro

I cant find walbro pump kits like they used to sell for the 3rd gens. anyone know who might have them like GDP used to sell?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xxwildbillxx
Hmmm curious...

1) Do mechanical pully pumps exsist for 3rd gens?

2) If so, what actually happens when a mechanical pully operated pump when the pre or post filter becomes plugged?

Walbro, Mitusa, Fuel Boss are all good mechanicals.
I have a Fuel Boss running with a Fass 150. If your Stock LP is still working, the mechanicals are a good option. However, still a great idea to add better filtration.

The Fuel Boss has a high pressure release valve that sends excess fuel back to the tank. If a post filter gets clogged, more fuel would be sent to the tank. If a pre filter gets clogged no fuel gets to the pump or engine. No different than a Fass or a stocker.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Mechanical is a bit more expensive I probably have around 700 in my setup with filter heads, an fittings, filters, and push lok hose. I change both my 10 mic water separator and 2 mic filter yearly with about 20k on them. If the filters plug there is a chance the pump could burn, belt snap, or the pump could cavaitate. Best to change filters on a regular basis.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lniemeyer2
Another vote here for the Walbro system. I just like the fact that I can go to any auto parts store and replace just the pump if nessecary. I have had mine in for several years now and probably 75K with no trouble. You can't hear this thing at all and I have heard the FASS ones way too noisy for my taste.
I have the 392 walboro from Glacier and I got it because I heard how noizy the Fass was I have 89,000Miles on it . I agree you can't hear it. it is set at 15psi and the extra fuel goes back to the tank. Glacier does not handle Walboro as they wanted him to carry a lot more inventory than he wanted to.
Jim O
Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
5 yrs on my walbro and it's very quiet. I hook up a gauge every yr to make sure it's working and it hasn't lost any pressure. I carry a spare just in case. $115. Craig
hooking up a temp gauge once a yr does not prove the pump is good.

personal experience was I did the same worked great at idle, even did a couple wot runs pressure seemed to hold up ok, about 2wks later I hooked up a permanent gauge and after about 40mins of driving pressure would drop to 2-3psi and 0 at wot, fiqured I had a gauge issue, played with it some, the next day same thing had great pressure for about 30mins and pressure started dropping again, this was on my second gen.

my 3rd gen is getting an airdog this week end, I have a low pressure light hooked up, and the stock intank pump is a yr old and will not keep the light off on a wot run (edge on level 3).
Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 AM

yes they make them.. fuel boss sold by glacier, mitsu ddt. all have a belt driven mechanical pump.

it would be no different than a electric pump when a filter plugs up. if you have a fuel pressure gauge you would see it, if you dont the truck would stop eventually

here is a link with pic
http://dieseltrans.com/dodge/ASSASSIN.htm

here is another
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/im...ss-Install.pdf
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM

I modified the mounting of my FASS. The way it is set up it has soft rubber to isolate the pump from the where it is mounted but the bolts are in contact with the pump so the noise is still transmitted to what ever it is attached to, in most cases the bed which acts as a sound board. Thus a lot of noise.

I reamed out the mounting holes and put rubber between the bolts and the pump mount. Much quiter but I can still hear it before cranking the engine. With the engine running it is not noticable.