Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Aftermarket diesel pumps... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/aftermarket-diesel-pumps-295600/)

xxwildbillxx 09-28-2011 05:26 PM

Aftermarket diesel pumps...

Considering retiring my 03's stock LP and going with a FASS DDRP however I've heard some aftermarket pumps can be really noisy(?)

I actually recall dropping the tank on an '89 cavalier to replace the in-tank stocker with an aftermarket from pepboys (dont recall the make) and after finishing the job three hours later I was greeted by the noise of what could best be described as that of an extra large ****** off mosquito. (The fuel tank on those cavs were mounted in such close proximity to the backseat that any annoying pump noise/whine could be heard from the tank even with the stereo on). Four aggravating hours later the pepboys special was returned and a quiet new oem was back in place [laugh]

Could sure use some opinions regarding the noise level of the FASS DDRP before I place an order!

pull-do 09-28-2011 06:04 PM

When I was kicking around fuel pump ideas, I happened to run into a guy on our duck lease one day, he was running the fass,,, that sucker was noisy, even over his exhaust,,

So when I made up my mind, I went with the Airdog, this was on my '01,,,, I really liked that pump,,,, good customer service to.. now this has been about 3yrs gone by, so I don't know if anything has changed or not.

Super Dave 09-30-2011 08:39 AM

I've had the same experience with the Airdog and their customer service.
As far as the noise goes, you can hear it run while the heater grid cycles before you start the engine, but once the engine is running, I've never heard it. Noise is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

xxwildbillxx 09-30-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Super Dave (Post 3026049)
You can hear it run while the heater grid cycles before you start the engine, but once the engine is running, I've never heard it. Noise is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I guess if it turns out to be overly loud (louder than the oem)...its gonna be going back.

6.6lEater 09-30-2011 09:21 PM

If I was going to do an electric pump I would go with airdog. I have a mechanical way more fuel than I will ever need.

MikeyB 10-01-2011 11:05 AM

I have a Raptor RP100 pump (Made by the same company that makes Airdog) and the only time I can hear it is when the key is on. The engine noise drowns out the pump noise.

MikeyB

nickg 10-02-2011 11:44 PM

same here I have a 150AD, cant hear it, and barely when the engine is off

soulezoo 10-03-2011 08:54 AM

If you really want a quiet pump, the Walbro system can't be beat. You have to add your own filtration if you want more than the stock filter though.

They used to sell it here at the DTR store (where I got mine) and I know it will support at least 700 hp from personal experience.

My FASS is very loud; akin to the previously described mosquito.

COUNTRYBOY 10-03-2011 10:47 AM

I'm Happy with my Airdog/Raptor150... It's not very loud at all compared to the FASS's I've heard...

Spooler 10-03-2011 08:54 PM

My Airdog 100 works great. No regrets.

Silverghost 10-04-2011 02:01 PM

Aftermarket diesel pumps

My Airdog works great. I bought a Airdog 100 a year ago. I have just replaced the filters with Cummins Fleetguard filter (FF 5613) (2micron) and water separator (FS19768), which I can buy locally at the Cummins dealer. They have them in stock.

DodgeChallenger 10-05-2011 12:02 PM

I would install the fuel boss mechanical system as that unit only increases pressure when you need it - IE when the engine revs up. Electric units are constant pressure. Just to get off course a bit - my hipo Challenger has a Mallory 110 gear rotor pump on it which can pump up to 20lbs with regulator. To increase pump life I recirc the fuel back to the tank and use a bypass regulator. What that does is two things 1. Makes the pump virtually outlast the car and 2. and supply fuel on instant demand when the throttle is inadvertantly opened. The reason electric pumps fail (all will eventually) is that they pump a constant flow and pressure. So what this does is at low demand it is pushing against fuel that is not required so the current goes up because the pump is working harder. If a recirc system could be invented, such as I have stated what is in my car, then the electric units would never fail in a long time.

Super Dave 10-05-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger (Post 3028011)
I would install the fuel boss mechanical system as that unit only increases pressure when you need it - IE when the engine revs up. Electric units are constant pressure. Just to get off course a bit - my hipo Challenger has a Mallory 110 gear rotor pump on it which can pump up to 20lbs with regulator. To increase pump life I recirc the fuel back to the tank and use a bypass regulator. What that does is two things 1. Makes the pump virtually outlast the car and 2. and supply fuel on instant demand when the throttle is inadvertantly opened. The reason electric pumps fail (all will eventually) is that they pump a constant flow and pressure. So what this does is at low demand it is pushing against fuel that is not required so the current goes up because the pump is working harder. If a recirc system could be invented, such as I have stated what is in my car, then the electric units would never fail in a long time.

Um...My Airdog 100 does send fuel right back to the tank. That is part of how it removes air from the fuel (hence the name). The pump runs at a constant speed and pressure and sends whatever the CP3 doesn't need right back to the tank (after going through the filters). That return helps keep the pump cool.
If electric Airdog pumps were all doomed to fail, I don't think they would give a lifetime warranty on it given that Cummins owners tend to keep their trucks and run them a loooooonnngg time. ;)

nickg 10-05-2011 06:43 PM

my first AD failed at about 1500hrs of use....second one has approx 4000hrs of run time on it
lifetime warranty does not mean it will last that long...

looking back I should have chosen a mechanical system, because anything electrical can and will fail, perfect example is the pump part of an AD will likely never fail, but the motor will, so a belt driven fuel pump should out last the truck

like a p-pump vs a VP44
electic fans vs Mechanical fans
mechanical gas fuel pumps vs electric pumps
electric shift motors vs manual shift transfercases

and the list goes on

yes the ad does return unused fuel but it does not cool either the AD pump or the VP44/CP3, as the AD motor is air cooled, and the returing fuel from the injectors & CP3 return back to the tank, not thru the AD, if anything the AD heats up the fuel its returning back to the tank.

xxwildbillxx 10-07-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nickg (Post 3028125)
Looking back I should have chosen a mechanical system

Hmmm curious...

1) Do mechanical pully pumps exsist for 3rd gens?

2) If so, what actually happens when a mechanical pully operated pump when the pre or post filter becomes plugged?