3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 inch exhaust on the SUPER-CHEAP! (03-05)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 inch exhaust on the SUPER-CHEAP! (03-05)

well, heres how it went down:

since the upgraded turbo (which came with specially made downpipe), I had a embarassingly cobbled up exhaust system.. I mean 2 year old beat up DPP spiral muffler (has seem a sledge hammer or two to aid in removal countless times) + 3 band clamps holding 3 seperate pieces of pipe together, and a turn down hanger off the back of the muffler just before the rear axle... there were countless leaks, But it was the best I could do to get back on the road and not run Downpipe only - ohh yeah, and coat hanger suspending mos of it

WELLL... I did not want to buy a full system seeing as my factory tail pipe is 4 inch, and my new DP is full 4 inch... SO, I bought DPP's cummins "600" muffler replacement kit (hangers welded on the muffler) and it came with a slightly "S" pipe to line up with factory piping (though I had no factory pipe anyway)

So I go measure and buy a 36 inch piece of 4 inch, and 4 band clamps (the kit came with crush style clamps, yuck)... DP to 36inch piece, clamp, 36inch piece to included "S" pipe, clamp, to muffler,clamp, cut 2 inches off front of tail pipe, and CLAMP!!

Let me tell ya, I never knew a properly hung and functioning exh system would add so much to drivability!! - truck spools WAY better, sounds killer (no drone, but a nice low growl) -- AND low end torque feels WAY UP!

I guess that leaky mostly open exh I had was killing bottom end

TOTAL $$$$$$$$

DPP "600" muffler replacement - about $160 (retail)
4 band clamps - $35
3 feet of 4 inch pipe - I think it was $20 (bought it like 8 months ago)
TOTAL -- $215 (and thats retail!), full 4 inch exhaust, and I can remove it super easy, etc
Needless to say I could have used the clamps given and saved some coin, BUT the band clamps work SOOOO much better...

good love it

pics here
Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 AM

Sweet looking setup, and on the cheap! Looks good Tomey!
Scott
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM

I'm looking to do the same with my 03 SO. I recently got it and it has some type of aftermarket exhaust but I don't like it at all. It sounds nice but the tip is way too long and at a stupid angle. I want to put a straight pipe on it and have duals coming out of the back. (i've been delaying this post for a long time but here goes)

I'm curious if the exhaust will void my warranty or inspection. I'm going in for maint (and live in Pennsylvania) and I'm going to ask them about the warranty unless someone here can tell me otherwise. Also the inspection, if I do need a muffler I would like to get a replacement (looks like a muffler) straightpipe. I'm planning to take whatever pipe i get to an exhaust place here in town. I'd like duals out the corners and don't plan on doing this myself. But I want to get the piece first.

Guess my question is. Where did you get your straightpipe? do you have to replace it for inspection (given your state requires one)? Does it look like a muffler/where can I get one that does? Thanks again in advance.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 4 inch exhaust on the SUPER-CHEAP! (03-05)

Originally posted by Tomeygun
well, heres how it went down:

since the upgraded turbo (which came with specially made downpipe), I had a embarassingly cobbled up exhaust system.. I mean 2 year old beat up DPP spiral muffler (has seem a sledge hammer or two to aid in removal countless times) + 3 band clamps holding 3 seperate pieces of pipe together, and a turn down hanger off the back of the muffler just before the rear axle... there were countless leaks, But it was the best I could do to get back on the road and not run Downpipe only - ohh yeah, and coat hanger suspending mos of it

WELLL... I did not want to buy a full system seeing as my factory tail pipe is 4 inch, and my new DP is full 4 inch... SO, I bought DPP's cummins "600" muffler replacement kit (hangers welded on the muffler) and it came with a slightly "S" pipe to line up with factory piping (though I had no factory pipe anyway)

So I go measure and buy a 36 inch piece of 4 inch, and 4 band clamps (the kit came with crush style clamps, yuck)... DP to 36inch piece, clamp, 36inch piece to included "S" pipe, clamp, to muffler,clamp, cut 2 inches off front of tail pipe, and CLAMP!!

Let me tell ya, I never knew a properly hung and functioning exh system would add so much to drivability!! - truck spools WAY better, sounds killer (no drone, but a nice low growl) -- AND low end torque feels WAY UP!

I guess that leaky mostly open exh I had was killing bottom end

TOTAL $$$$$$$$

DPP "600" muffler replacement - about $160 (retail)
4 band clamps - $35
3 feet of 4 inch pipe - I think it was $20 (bought it like 8 months ago)
TOTAL -- $215 (and thats retail!), full 4 inch exhaust, and I can remove it super easy, etc
Needless to say I could have used the clamps given and saved some coin, BUT the band clamps work SOOOO much better...

good love it

pics here
I think to be fair you'd have to include the cost of that "specially made" downpipe...which I'm sure wasn't cheap.

The CHEAPEST way to get a 4" exhaust system (if you don't already have one) is to buy a 4" downpipe and an 8' section of 4" straight pipe and connect them to the stock tailpipe. Without looking up prices, you could probably get the parts for less than $150.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by ramdez
I'm looking to do the same with my 03 SO. I recently got it and it has some type of aftermarket exhaust but I don't like it at all. It sounds nice but the tip is way too long and at a stupid angle. I want to put a straight pipe on it and have duals coming out of the back. (i've been delaying this post for a long time but here goes)

I'm curious if the exhaust will void my warranty or inspection. I'm going in for maint (and live in Pennsylvania) and I'm going to ask them about the warranty unless someone here can tell me otherwise. Also the inspection, if I do need a muffler I would like to get a replacement (looks like a muffler) straightpipe. I'm planning to take whatever pipe i get to an exhaust place here in town. I'd like duals out the corners and don't plan on doing this myself. But I want to get the piece first.

Guess my question is. Where did you get your straightpipe? do you have to replace it for inspection (given your state requires one)? Does it look like a muffler/where can I get one that does? Thanks again in advance.
Rip rook has a "sneaker series" that is a straight pipe enclosed in a muffler assebmly, I think...
http://www.protintnw.com/sa_dodge-exh.htm

PS - I would find a straight piped 3rd gen and make sure its what you want...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Would something like this bolt up to an 05 since it already has a 4"? I was looking into the Aeroturbine but this looks nice too. I'd like to listen to one first though
Old 06-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by 4x4not
Would something like this bolt up to an 05 since it already has a 4"? I was looking into the Aeroturbine but this looks nice too. I'd like to listen to one first though
Actually, that is EXACTLY what this kit was designed for! - for anm easy replacement of the muffler on a "600" cummins - Since they have a full 4inch already (even DP)

Heck, I might add a few of these to trucks on the lot!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Tomeygun you should of went with the DUALS they sound SWEET. WILDMAN.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by richardandrews
Tomeygun you should of went with the DUALS they sound SWEET. WILDMAN.
Do they now? I was just thinking about calling you and seeing how everything went (install, sound, etc)

Gald you liked them... Smoke from both sides has gotta be cool!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM

Tommygun,

I'm in the market to swap out my 03 HO's muffler and the local exhaust shop wants to sell me a Flowmaster Delta diesel muffler. I have heard not so good things about the Flowmaster.

What about that DPP "600" muffler will that fit in my 03?

Thanks

Ron W
Old 06-13-2005, 10:26 PM

In regards to I should here a 3rd gen w/ straight pipe.

I know they're loud and might have drone. I'd like to experiment though and the way I see it is if once i get the pipes for the duals in back. i can always replace the sneaker with a real muffler...cuz the pipes are already bent.

Speaking of hearing one. I"m going to post a message in Events in regards to the Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania Truck show that I always attend....Perhaps some of us can meet. Look in the events forum to comment on this.