3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

4" Downpipe ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
My local dealer quoted me $45.00 for just the clamp!!!!!!!

Mine did too, UNTIL I gave them the part number, then somehow it went down to $16
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UNDER-PRESSURE
Thanks for all the help guys, that's the kind of info i was looking for. My local dealer as usual was worthless!! Who would you guys recommend ordering an OEM pipe from?

Unless you have the part number, most dealers are worthless. The good one's are VERY rare. Stay on this forum, and you will learn more, and be better prepared when somethign happens to your truck.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to order from makeitmopar.com .. they had the elbow for $36 and the clamps for $14. Do I need one or two? I see that some people buy two clamps and others buy one.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UNDER-PRESSURE
I was able to get a New 4" exhaust elbow & 2 new clamps for $100.00 shipped off of E-Bay. It Seemed like a fair deal??

Sorry, but no. I paid $48 for my elbow new from the dealer. And I paid $16 for the clamp. So, that is $64, around $69 with taxes. Now, if you got the OTHER clamp and not 2 of the same, then you are looking at $85-$90, which is still a lttle cheaper then what you paid. I would not sweat it. BUt make sure the part numbers match up to the one's in my post above, those ARE the correct numbers
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true 4"

I just went through this. Speaking only about MBRP, they don't make a turbo back system in full 4". Not even for the 04.5 and newer units. They are all catback systems. They do build a 5" turbo back system that starts at 4" and them fattens up to 5" about 6"s away from the turbo, but it's an aluminized system (I wanted stainless steel). I wanted to install a 4" inlet by 4" outlet exhaust brake and a 4" exhaust in it, but ended up installing a pac brake that would fit into the unit with the stock exhaust and the MBRP replacment for the stock exhaust, thus the brake is a 4 to 3.5 unit, just like the stock turbo elbow. The MBRP is a 4" exhaust has a 3.5" flange to hook on to the pac brake outlet flange. The true inside measurement of the pac brake outlet is actually 3.25", again, just like the stock elbow. I went on a little phoning spree when all of my part arrived and I saw they weren't 4" everywhere. (By the way 4' OD is actually about 3.8" ID, somewhat a misnomer, but every little bit does help.) After two days of pouting and mesuring, I reeled my bottom lip in and installed it. Let my seat of the pants just say, WOW. While my mesuring found that there is 1" long section off the back of the pac brake that is actually 3.25" ID plus another 1/2" length at 3.25" ID through the MBRP flange, it is true 4" from the flange to the tip. The down pipe on your (my old) stock exhaust is 3.5" right into and out of the two pass muffler. Once you get it off, cut into it and you'll see how restrictive the stock muffler is. I don't plan on making over 500 hp with this daily driven tow unit anyway, so an inch and a half long section at 3.25" diameter isn't going to hold me back from my goal at all, because from what I've seen now I believe 80-90% of the restrction is the old muffler and 10-20% the downpipe.

The seat of the pants says: boost comes in a bit slower because the turbo isn't boosting against the back pressure in the exhaust, but with the higher air flow there was immediatly less smoke and lower EGT's. (I only saw a 50 degree improvment but I have the weather front on for the winter so I only have 10-15% of my intercooler in service right now, can't wait to tow my trailer in the spring) I can now increase my low boost fueling untill the black puff just starts to come back, cause I don't like to smoke. The top end, where I will be reving in 3rd gear while pulling a hill should be way better too, because the 4th gear pulls while passing are now way better than they used to be. I haven't checked my 0 to 60 time yet, but my "60 to passed your butt" feel way better. Hope this gives you some encouragement if you can't find all of what you are looking for and have to "SETTLE" for something close. I didn't hurt me. But like I said, my goal is to top out around 500 HP. (i think I'll be going after my TC again at this level let alone anything higher. Word to the wise, don't go with anything less then a triple disk billet unit)

I did a little search for ya and here are the part numbers you've been looking for, I think. I'm not the original poster of these numbers, so credit where credit is due. No warranty expressed or implied. Happy Horsepower to You and Yours.

elbow for the 4.5-05 years 5161570AA
4" downpipe for the 04.5-05 52121600AA
Clamp for the above 52121285AA