3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 250hp Smarty/TST stack issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 250hp Smarty/TST stack issues

I have an 03 SO with a Smarty and a TST R49 with all the new programming(adjustable timing,twins ,eco,std programs)just updated last month from TST.I am running the revo software.If I run the smarty with the TST set on 0/0 up to 3/2 Truck runs decent but not stellar.If i run anything but 0/0 my egts will shoot up to nearly 1600 at wot very quickly at 35lbs boost.If i run 0/0 it runs 30lbs boost and egts will stay around 1200 at wot but it just doesnt seem to pull very hard on top. If I turn TST up above 3/2 truck pops and sputters and smokes heavy no matter what the Smarty SW#. I bought the smarty because with the tst alone i got smoked by a 06 HO with a SCP and an air filter.Even when set TST to 9/9. I find it hard to believe I am draining the rail because I set the TST to TT03 and turned everything else off and the truck smoked like a train and pulled like crazy but the boost shot to 45lbs and egts went way up My question is am I asking to much of this setup or shuold I go back to 4.11 on the smarty. Truck has stock injectors,stock turbo,banks full 4" to the turbo,47re with billet everything(TST killed stocker in about 2 weeks)Capped rail.Any input you guys my have would be greatly appreciated as my buddy wont let it go!!!! NOTE: I have not run him with the stack yet,but I want it set on kill without problems before I do so there wont be any question that ill pull him!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like to me you don't have enough mods to support the stacking. Could be a timing issue between the REVO and the TST. Did you set the REVO to even power numbers or the timing to aftermarket injectors (timing #3)?

Any other mods on the truck like a aftermarket lift pump?

MikeyB
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM

The 03 stock turbo is limited. I'm surprised you can get over 30lbs of boost. It won't hold up with that stack.

A performance lift pump is a must. You're most likely not getting enough fuel.

Even with my mods I can't imagine setting the TST to 9/9. That is extreme. Especially with the Smarty.

I get hot when stacking the TST with the Smarty. The TST is a very aggressive tuner. Much caution should be used when using it. Water injection, aftermarket intercooler, and most of all an aftermarket turbo is a must when using the TST. It will fry your engine.

Just my experience and opinion, though.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 AM
tcr

03 stock turbos are terrible, you are pulling the fuel pressure way too low, if your fuel system isn't modified, keep in mind we 03-04 owners don't have the performance of 04.5-07s unless we are heavily modded, then(mod for mod) we'll smoke um! Our CP3s, turbos, injectors, computers are all inferior.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No need to stack yet bud, you can drain your rail and fuel pressure just fine with the Smarty or the TST alone. Do some reading and some reasearch on this site before you end up with a toasted motor.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 AM

i was getting the same issue upgraded to a glacier pusher pump then htt turbo then cp3 then injector valve springs then head studs soon

i run tst old style early 03 twins and run my smarty tnt on level 8. 0 timing so i dont burn up my engine.

it takes alot of adjusting to find what you run with tst/smarty

you shouldnt even beable to fuel 9-9

i couldnt get over 5-3 with stock stuff you can feel the truck power die

the tst alone will drain your rail. if i could find a stand alone rpm i would be just running tst

but i am waiting on bob so i can get my hands on the tnt-r
Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM

I am sure you will run better with out the TST. Add a pressure box only but after you do a fuel system mod. Get a RPG that will tell you where you are at. You need inj, stage 2 cp3, FASS and a turbo to run like you think you should run. I have a SO Cali truck and trust me, I have been there and learned the hard way. Lose the TST. You need the supporting mods just to run the smarty.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM

I am running a fass95, I ran the TST on 9/9 alone,never with smarty. When I ran the TST only,it was lazy down low on almost all the settings. i chalked this up to torque managment.Not sure if I was right or not. Went the smarty route and it definitly picked up power in the low end. It just kind of signs off early (2500-2700) or so it flattens out.Thats why I used the TST was to try to get just that added pull top end. I am convinced its time for a turbo and some nozzles. Also cp3 mod. Guess I gotta sell the Road King
Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my setup, and the mods weren't too bad.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM

You could run both--just at lower settings. You said you are running the twins program on the TST. Try just running the standard programming. The twin's setting is to fuel hard down low to get a set of twin's going. You don't need that because of the Smarty's low end fueling and the fact that you still have the stock charger. That will take a little demand off of the cp3 and maybe allow you to run some higher settings.
As said above, a rail pressure gauge is a must when trying to stack 2 huge power adders and to be able to find the sweet spot in the tuning.
Just remember to start low on the settings and work your way up from there. As you add new mods you can turn it up a notch.

Good luck,

Randy
Old 11-13-2008, 01:52 PM

I only ran the twins program to see if would fuel enough.I did not have smarty at the time. Fueled like crazy and didnt break up. The problem with it popping and breaking up only started with the smarty & tst stacked.TST on settings higher than 3/2 and it seems almost like electrical stutter because its not smoking very bad when it does it. It will do this no matter what I have the smarty set at. it almost seems like a compadibility problem.I saw somewhere that the 03's dont like the revo software.Something about single or multi pulse injection? my smarty did not have the 4.11 software when i got it,so I never had a chance to compare the 2.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a problem with too much duration overlap when running TST on top of Smarty with the newer Smarty tunes. That is where smoke and high egts come from... also from draining the rail. Even with TST alone, you should not be over 5/3 due to the stock CP3; that is about all it can keep up with.

If you are running smarty, I recommend no more than 2/0-3/0 on TST. Otherwise you are still dumping fuel after ignition and still burning gases go out the exhaust. That = high egts and loss of power. If you want a little more low end, dont use the torque settings, but rather use TT05 program.

Bottom line is with the stock Turbo-- especially that little HE341--- you should not be stacking boxes at all... you're gonna blow the turbo and drop a valve seat.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM

The TST controller has a rail pressure gauge on it. If it's like mine, that is. You just need to go through the menus to find it.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM

I could not go above 2/2 or I would pop the rail HARD!!! You need a lot of supporting mods to hold the stack together....