3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 micron Racor filter installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 micron Racor filter installed!

Just wanted to say for the guys that haven't tried it, this worked perfectly. I have an aux tank mounted in the bed that is set up to fill into the main tank via gravity feed. Anyway, today I mounted and plumbed a racor 2 micron filter in line between the aux tank and main tank, and it works beautifully. It still flows quickly, and I have some peace of mind finally! I'll include a pic of the filter and one of the plumbing. Basically I just came out of the tank with a ball valve, then 90 degrees straight down with a hose down thru the bed to the filter. Then out of the filter a hose gets t'ed into the fuel return line.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 PM

Here is the plumbing...
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM
DTR Advertiser

I have run a 2 micron Racor for 3 years now!! Sweet set up.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:17 PM

Don, great to hear, and thank you. Do you run it as part of your engine or is it set up like mine? Just curious as to your filter intervals. Since mine will only be used for a one-pass type setup (fuel only goes thru once, compared to the engine where it recirculates), I'm thinking I can get some decent life out of them.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

I run from the electric pump, up to the filter and finally to the engine/pump.

Mine is the 2 micron filter assembly, but it is about twice the size of the one you have pictured. Its longer but the diameter looks the same. I have never really done any intervals or scheduless on the filter changes. Everytime I think about it or I am at the injection shop I grab a canister and spin it on.

BTW, I spoke to the guys at Racor/Parker because they only rated the filter to 30 PSI. They told me the filters are tested to 100 PSI and will probably hold that "all day long" I run about 45 PSI and have never had a hiccup.

Don~
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 645 Racor on the White Obsession

It was between the Mallory 140 and the fuel tank. I think I change it every 15K or so.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:26 AM

Lol @ Bob's truck names.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:19 AM

Lightman,

Can I ask where you picked up the filter assembly and how much? I am thinking about doing the same thing.

There are times when I don't want a tank in the bed and would like to have it between the factory tank and the lift pump to polish the fuel as it is recirculated, but I don't think having a filter on the suction side is a good idea even though I have seen some filters listed for use on the suction side. I think if you put a filter in the recirculation loop it would need a heater for cold weather also.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:27 AM

Chillimau, I got it on adiesel.com for around $70. It's also available thru west marine stores and website. This particular filter says right on the label it's able to be used or designed to be used rather as a suction side filter. In any case, it's VERY small. I am sure there is a suitable racor filter to plumb in your fuel system, but I bet this little 2 mic could be restrictive with that kind of draw. It's perfect for tucking underneath and one pass use like I'm doing. I'd email racor@parker.com and ask them, they helped point me in the right direction for sure.

I have found that the 120A and 120B share the exact same head and dimensions, just the B comes with a longer filter (r13 vs the r12 I have). I emailed racor and they said that I can easily swap for the longer filter and use my existing head if I have room. I dont think I realized quite how small this one is. Even though they said in my application I should get excellent life out of the little one, my thoughts are if I have room for the longer one it will be less maintenance.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 AM
DTR Advertiser

Is that RED fuel I see in your canister there Mr L?

LOL just kidding, the amber canister does kinda make it look red though.

Don~
Old 06-16-2004, 10:59 AM

Thank you! I will check with Racor.

I started a thread in the engine/drivetrain section about a 2 micron filter. Pretty impressive what Cat is saying about longevity with better filtration.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:07 AM

Particulate matter in the 5-7 micron range and up is primarily responsible for excessive injection system wear in today's high pressure injection systems. This was far less of an issue in older lower pressure systems. I feel a lot better knowing my fuel is passing through this filter and then my stratapore. In fact, I've decided to try to only fill through the aux tank when it comes time to fill, just so all the fuel I use is going thru.

Don - actually it is quite reddish looking....although it has nothing to do with offroad diesel. As it says in my sig, I run biodiesel. This last batch was a little darker than usual, probably due to being made with a few more recycled stocks vs virgin oils. Anyway there is about a 10% blend of bio in the aux tank's fuel..
Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
DTR Advertiser

A 2 micron filter will make any injection pump and the injectors last a good long time!

Don~
Old 06-16-2004, 11:53 PM

Here is a picture of where it was mounted. I forgot I had this.

Racor Filter mounted on the White Obsession