3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 3500 not liking the xzt at all, what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 3500 not liking the xzt at all, what gives?

the xzt box came from the seller with fresh paperwork from quadzilla
stating unit has been tested and reflashed for updating only not to fix any problems

there is paperwork relating to the data link for the tps, the sheet that is for 04.5 trucks states that the link is no longer need leaving only the map sensor and fuel sensors to hook up, the data link has been taped up into the harness

there is a sheet that shows how to hook up the data link to the 05-06

when i hook this unit into the 3500 it throws a s..load of engine codes and turns on the check engine light

what is the problem, could it be that the data link does need to be installed in the 05?

thrown codes
p 0514
p 0236 turbo boost sensor a circuit range performance
p 0193 fuel rail pressure high
p 0113 intake air temp high
p 0237 turbo boost sensor a circuit low
p 0069 general map sensor

do i just have a defective unit
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM

The data link is not used on the XZT model. Double check that the map and fuel sensor connectors are not flipped upside down. I did this on one of the sensors and the truck did not sound right at first when I fired it up. I went back under the hood to double check the connections and realized I just needed to flip it 180. Try that. Also make sure the connections are fully seated. Good luck!

Jared
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 PM

checked and double checked the connections they only go on one way
the truck ran fine for about 2 hours

i drove it last night after the install with no issues, i drove it this AM about 80 miles with no issues, i drove it to lunch with no issues, as i drove it back from lunch the check engine light cam on and has ben on most of the day, at one time the truck went into limp mode, the truck never threw a code before today

i removed the xzt from the harness, and have been running stock since this afternoon, the check engine light is still on, i am hoping it will go off after a few trips, the truck is running fine so i am sure it is on because of the codes thrown earlier today

the data link was used at one time, otherwise why would quadzilla state it was no longer needed
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM

i just had a brain fart

the bright yellow sticker in my paperwork that tells me the data link is no oonger need is right next to a picture of the tps connection

i assumed it meant not to attach the wire in the picture, the wire in the picture is the tps connection, i just located another wiring diagram that shows the data link is a different connector

i think my problem is the tps still needs to be connected
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 PM

I think the tps wire is purple and it is not used on the '05. If the truck was running good at first then the connections were good. Must be something going on with the module. I'd give them a call on Monday and see what they suggest.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:41 AM

Almost always when you get all of those codes it is related to a power issue with the module. 5v power is what I am talking about.

SInce you got it used I would start with checking some pins on the connectors. Start with the 12 pin connector and pay close attention to the red or black wires. We have seen many of these pulled out or loose from yanking them through the firewall. You may not have but, someone else might have.

Next check the pins at the connectors of the rail pressure plug.

Now, this should not matter but, depending on the serial number it could have an old flash on it as well. It will still run well and not set codes but, it probably does not have the latest software on it.

THe only other thing that would be possible that I know of is that your factory rail sensor has a bad connection in it. I have seen this 2 times with my own eyes and I do not know why or how it happens but, both were on 06 trucks. Basically we found 2 bad crimps when it was all said and done. I doubt this is your issue but, who knows. This was easily found by installing the module and starting the truck. Then once it was started you can wiggle the wires and connections and see which one has the problem.

Now if you have a problem with the power getting to the module it is basically the same as disconnecting the rail and map sensor plugs while you drive. You can also set the module where you can see it and see if the light goes off and tries to reset while you drive.

One way or another we can figure it out.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 AM

qzilla

i sent you some info earlier through your website

the unit was in your shop in february, for updates etc

are you saying the tps does not need to be installed and it is just a bad connection?

the first code thrown was related to the map sensor, ill check the 12 pin

thanks for the customer service, i am in business for myself also, have been for years, nice to see other folks are still interested in customer service above and beyond, you have no reason to deal with a problem for someone with a second hand unit other than making a good name for yourself

thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 08:45 AM

qzilla

i pmed this to you this AM but for some reason my sent message box does not show it went through so i am posting it here also

i let the truck clear its codes and check engine light last night

this Am i plugged the xzt harness into the truck with out the computer just the stock bypass plug installed

the truck threw codes again so it is definitely related to the harness not the module

as per your suggestion i plugged the module in where i can see the LED, i could not get the LED to go out by moving or pinching any of the wires or connections

the problem does not seem to be power related

maybe you could sell me a new harness,

Thanks again
shane
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were still wonderin the tps (purple wire) is not used on the 05s anymore.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM

got that

but why would the harness throw a code in stock mode it obviously has issues

i could not get the truck to reproduce the codes by moving flexing pinching the stock wires so i don't believe it is my stock connectors

i did notice that the quad connectors have some electrical grease in them and the stock ones do not

would it be possible for the grease to make a connection accross the pins and cause problems

i don't know if qzilla adds this grease or if the previous owner did

maybe its nothing

the problem is definitely in the harness
Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 PM

ordered a new harness from qzilla tech service today

hopefully that will solve my problems