1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Any VE's not liking the ULSD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any VE's not liking the ULSD?

I've developed a rough, crappy idle, to add to all my other dilemas and yes, the poor idle was there before the POD's. I'll admit I've been lax with the Power Service this summer as well. Seems to smooth out once warmed up, but just not as steady as it used to be. Are we VE-ers going to be stuck adding lube every tank to preserve our pumps?!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't run the "Ultra Low Sulfur", it's for 2007 diesel only.

If it has a sticker on it saying not for a 2007......thats the one you want to pump.

I haven't evan sean a Ultra Low Sulfer pump show up,in this town!

and the 07 or out!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Pretty soon you won't have a choice, I believe it is middle of october this year, that all pumps are supposed to be converted.

I personally haven't run any and I would add some bio for lubricity.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM

I'll have to snap a pic of the local pump next week...I think it says ULSD. Either way, I better stock up on some PS!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM

I hadn't hered that. I was told that there would be two Diesel pump....kinda line in the 80s with unleaded an regular!

This is only here say and don't have any thing to back it up!!!

Dus and body now for shore? that would really suck if we had to run that sh^&^&&t
Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 AM

everything i have herd says that all pumps will be low sulfer diesel. And i have not seen or herd of the sticker, but know that the fuel is around. There has to be something that is fairly simple to do like a quart of motor oil?

Ian-
Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, it's for sure - EPA mandate. Gotta love the government...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:40 AM

I googled and found this has the timeline, don't think chevron would lie about it.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A2

Here's another article

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...lowsulfur.html

Looks like by Oct 15th all retail diesel must be ULSD. The stickers on the pumps right now are just warning people that they can't use the old LSD in the new 2007 vehicles that are designed for ULSD. If LSD is used in a vehicle designed for ULSD damage will occur to the particluate trap(glorified cat.)

supposedly from what I hear the additive package to ULSD is supposed to be the same lubricity as LSD, the good ole government does have regulations on this.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by apwatson50

supposedly from what I hear the additive package to ULSD is supposed to be the same lubricity as LSD, the good ole government does have regulations on this.

Well, that could be good news, then. Maybe I've just got a melted piston
Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Will we be able to use 2 stroke oil as a lubricant??????
Peter.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM

just some caption form the link above

copyrighted material removed

Here's a ling to Fuel leak for seals of vehicles with low sulfur fuelhttp://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tb_2005Aug.pdf

Haven't read the one above but.....boy theres a lot of info there and that all came of the first link from above..............still haven't found it ritten in stone any wares but it sounds like the low solver is going into ultra sooner or latter

first the veggie oil were taking out old pump seals and now the the fuel is going to do it for us!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
So once again we are going to get screwed by the goverment trying to "protect" us from the evil polution and it is up to us to repair the damage at our own expense. You don't think this may just be another way to get our old trucks off the road and force us to buy new ones at 20 times the price they should be do you?? Right!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Ace
Banned

PM me if you want a link to the BEST fuel additive out there. I can't post a link to their site, due to the forum rules, ya know.

I am in no way affiliated with this vendor, just a dedicated, satisfied user. I can tell you it was briefly mentioned on another fuel-related thread here awhile ago. But for some odd reason, the old diesel standards like Stanadyne, Power Service, et al, are the only things anyone around here seems to acknowledge. ULSD and the incresing rarity/cost of the 1st gen pumps makes the fuel lubricity issue critical now, IMHO.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Ace, there is no rule that says you can't post a link to a product website. Where did you get that idea?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeffGordonSucks
first the veggie oil were taking out old pump seals and now the the fuel is going to do it for us!!!!!!
I was under the impression that the veggie-oil and seals problems could be fixed by replacing the stock seals with newer (synthetic) ones? Considering that my entire way around the ULSD-panic was to run veggie oil, that'd be kind of ironic.

Still, we've all probably been pumping ULSD for weeks know and not even noticing the fell effects. Altough, I am planning to get some PowerService or something just in case, to wait for the initial panic to wear off. (Altough, I'm also planning on throwing away this here pizza-box/ mouse-pad combination for about a week now, so we all know how that goes. )

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Ace, there is no rule that says you can't post a link to a product website. Where did you get that idea?
He's probably just scared of our new "points" system. (I could go into a libertarian diatribe here about how this illustrates the evils of arbitrary laws, but I know better. )

Quick Reply: Any VE's not liking the ULSD?