3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 - New 60hp Injectors - Losing MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

So here's my story in a nutshell and what's happened so far to reclaim lost mileage....and how I got educated here at DTR:

1) Bought +60hp injectors. Stock truck. Mileage went down. Major Frown....(yeah I know - why did you buy 60hp sticks...didn't know better, but can't change it now).

2) Took off the Edge EZ. Thought that was the problem. Mileage seemed to get a little better.

3) Joined DTR to get more knowledge. Members suggested running a smarty, so I found a Smarty JR to buy. Tried all kinds of settings suggested on DTR, and the mileage was getting better. Started tracking my miles per tank. Mileage progressively got better, but still not getting more than 450 miles to a tank. Settled on SW3, TQ default,TM 4, 80 POD.

4) More research on DTR. Decided to try stacking the EZ. Setting is on #1 with the Smarty set to the same as before. I am filling up today, and will have over 500 miles on 1 tank. This is all-around mileage, in and out of town. OH display reads 22.0 mpg (unloaded), but I know better.....at least it's been increasing from the 16 mpg it was showing initially when I started this! I reset the OH display at each fill-up.

So far I am pleased, but am I leaving something on the table? Can anyone explain exactly what parameters I changed by stacking?

Is there anyone who has the same setup as me? What did you do?

No need to talk about power, I have plenty of that when I need it!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dex003
UPDATE:

So here's my story in a nutshell and what's happened so far to reclaim lost mileage....and how I got educated here at DTR:

1) Bought +60hp injectors. Stock truck. Mileage went down. Major Frown....(yeah I know - why did you buy 60hp sticks...didn't know better, but can't change it now).

2) Took off the Edge EZ. Thought that was the problem. Mileage seemed to get a little better.

3) Joined DTR to get more knowledge. Members suggested running a smarty, so I found a Smarty JR to buy. Tried all kinds of settings suggested on DTR, and the mileage was getting better. Started tracking my miles per tank. Mileage progressively got better, but still not getting more than 450 miles to a tank. Settled on SW3, TQ default,TM 4, 80 POD.

4) More research on DTR. Decided to try stacking the EZ. Setting is on #1 with the Smarty set to the same as before. I am filling up today, and will have over 500 miles on 1 tank. This is all-around mileage, in and out of town. OH display reads 22.0 mpg (unloaded), but I know better.....at least it's been increasing from the 16 mpg it was showing initially when I started this! I reset the OH display at each fill-up.

So far I am pleased, but am I leaving something on the table? Can anyone explain exactly what parameters I changed by stacking?

Is there anyone who has the same setup as me? What did you do?

No need to talk about power, I have plenty of that when I need it!
Injection pressure, Your getting better atomization. The only downside is it will wear your injectors faster.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Angry 03 dodge 5.9L Cummins

I have a 03 Dodge 3500 with 235k milage. Havn't had to do much to it so far but toward the end of the winter (36 Degree) I started having problems getting my truck started. I check my intake heater and it is getting hot. Could this be a sign that i may have a injector leaking back or to much return. Note: During this time period i had my block heater plugged in and it didnt help at all. During the warmer weather it starts right up no problem. It seams that maybe I have lost alittle power but its not smoking at all. Yal are all talking about injectors and thought maybe I could get some help.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM

My stock injectors made it to 184k before I had to replace them. From what I have read on DTR and other sites, you're very fortunate to have 235k on original injectors. Consider them a maintenance item and change them out with new ones. They're ready.....or will be very soon at the worst time.....