3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

03-04 Guys Programmer Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-04 Guys Programmer Questions!

My little brother just bought an early 04 with the 305hp engine. I was wondering what imputs you guys have from smartys, and triple dogs on these trucks. I am using Diablosport on my 03 and am very happy with it but we were just wanting to try something different.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:54 AM

From what I've read and from my experience the diablo is hard to beat on a 305.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM

I have used the Bully Dog Triple Dog and also a Smarty on my '03 HO.

Bully Dog is a complete waste of money. On my truck, the difference between tow and extreme was 10hp, and extreme only added 66hp. Not a lot of bang for the buck.

The Smarty, on the other hand, added 140hp on the highest setting.

I also had a big single, FASS, Banks Technicooler, ATS manifold, 4" exhaust, (plus some electronics) etc. in addition to the downloaders, but the above numbers were running the downloaders only. Stacking the TST to the Smarty (and the Bully Dog, for that matter) regularly put me in the mid-500's.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll second the SMARTY. Very smooth and feels like stock until you press hard on the go pedal.

MikeyB
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

i think diablo is where is where its at with the 305 trucks. i tried the bully dog and smarty and the best results with the diablo.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
tcr

SMARTY, I haven't tried a Diablo yet. NO, on the BDDL, they do suck on 305/555 motors.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
check diablos website. It looks like they are giving up on the CTD software.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Does the diablo ramp up rail pressure?? Hows the smoke compared to.....
Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
check diablos website. It looks like they are giving up on the CTD software.
Just curious why you say that, I kinda thought the same thing but because there is very little interaction anymore with the moderators as far as responding to threads, they are not so gung ho anymore on modifying there tunes anymore either......
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM

i have the Predator/Puck on my 03 and i love it, i had the TST on it and it was not a linear power curve, with the TST it was a dog out of the hole but when i would get to about 40 it would blow the tires of, with the Diablo stack on my truck the power is there as soon as i hit the throttle, and the power gradualy increases as the throttle increases, versus the TST coming in late and being very unpredicable
Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 PM

tst,smarty, pressure box

fun ride for and 03
Old 09-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScienceOfSpeed
i have the Predator/Puck on my 03 and i love it, i had the TST on it and it was not a linear power curve, with the TST it was a dog out of the hole but when i would get to about 40 it would blow the tires of, with the Diablo stack on my truck the power is there as soon as i hit the throttle, and the power gradualy increases as the throttle increases, versus the TST coming in late and being very unpredicable
The TST fuels based on boost. If there's no boost, it won't give much fuel (unless you know the trick). Once boost comes up (depending on the program you're running, Early Twins, Late Twins, or Standard) the hit can be quite violent.

Aside from modifying the TST harness, you can easily smooth out the hit on the TST with a simple pressure box. The best pressure box is a TS MP-8, plugging it into the MAP sensor before the TST. The MP-8 boost-fools in reverse, showing the TST MORE boost than is actually in the manifold. The result is added fuel from the MP-8 increasing bottom end, and also a smoother hit as the TST comes in earlier. It takes some trial and error to get the perfect settings.

The other option is to use a downloader like the Smarty. It fuels hard off-boost, and definately smoothes the hit from the TST.

The most fun combo if not trying to crush the dyno is the Smarty/MP-8 stack. It pulled like my old 5.0 GT Mustang. Sooooo much fun to drive!

Smarty on 5 and MP-8 adjusted to the rate of acceleration you desire
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Thats too bad about Diablo "giving up" on us. It sounded like their tunes were putting down some big numbers.

A few members have reported that the extreeme setting was too agressive and a pita to drive everyday. Yeah it put down some really good numbers but the driveability wasnt as good as other downloaders. I know there's a small handfull of 03-04 owners that are stacking the Diablo/Edge J/A and getting high 500's-low 600's. That sounds great but reacent news hasnt been so good for them.

I'm just hoping that Marco will come out with tune for 03-04 that will make more then 130hp........180+ would sure be nice. Heck why not 200hp. Its been done before with other downloaders but I want the driveability, and realibilty and customer service of Bob and Marco

Like everyone else said Smarty+pressure=
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JCLeary
If there's no boost, it won't give much fuel (unless you know the trick). Once boost comes up (depending on the program you're running, Early Twins, Late Twins, or Standard) the hit can be quite violent.

Aside from modifying the TST harness,
The other option is to use a downloader like the Smarty. It fuels hard off-boost, and definately smoothes the hit from the TST.

whats the trick to get TST to fuel???

whats modifying the harness
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Ive tried a few and the Smarty with the 4.4 ver is as good as it gets. Add a Quad and your off to the races! I added a quad race and it works real good!

Quick Reply: 03-04 Guys Programmer Questions!