3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Unplugging EGR and Deleting Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unplugging EGR and Deleting Codes

I've been getting a lot of advice about unplugging the EGR on my 2009 6.7 Cummins. If I unplug, I will get the check engine light. If I have to take the truck in for warranty work, I will need to plug the EGR back in and delete the code or I could affect my warranty.

I have a few questions...
What code reader should I use to read and delete codes?
Where does it plug into the truck?
After I've deleted any codes, will a dealer be able to see deleted codes?

I have about 1000 miles on my new truck and don't want to hurt the turbo and other components. I don't understand the whole concept of putting dirty exhaust back into the engine and would rather stop that if possible.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 AM

I've read the EGR posts as well. While I'd like better fuel mileage and less fuel/soot in my oil, I'm gonna leave it alone until the warranty expires. At this point, the warranty is worth more to me than a few miles per gallon (if that). For now, I'm going to trust the Dodge/Cummins engineers with the design they sold me.

Your situation may be different...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my EGR un-plugged for 6 months and then plugged the EGR back in. I have been following the discussion on un-plugging your EGR in the "3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only)" section by GMScott "Unplugging the EGR."

After reading Marco reply to un-plugging the EGR "post number 358, page 24" I plugged mine back in. I am saving up for a Smarty for the 6.7L and then will purchase one. At that time I will look into following Marco's advice. This will depend on the emission laws in IL and if I need to be smog tested or not.
I have pasted his comments below for you if you could not find it.

I Quote
"EGR unplug Mythbuster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentleman,
A few MSG's back , Lil Dog provides and rather good describtion how the exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber are supposed to work. Yet, one thing left out of the picture is the fact that any diesel engine is a lean burner by working principle. Means that there is always more air than needed for the combustion in the cylinder. Burning lean ( besides other factors like for example the injection timing ) is what raises the temperature in the combustion chamber thus produces NOx. For this reason oxigen poor exhaust gasses are routed back into the cylinder through the EGR in order to replace the oxigen and thus lower the combustion temperature. So far so good. Now we got the complete picture about the combustion process with the EGR routing exhaust gasses back into the intake.

BUT then...where does the mileage gain come from?

Well, the answer is rather simple. When you disconnect the EGR the ECM derates the power of the engine! Less horses to feed, better mileage.

On my dyno, the stock truck is somewhere between 255-260Hp. Simply unplugging the EGR the power goes down to 170-175Hp. That's been true with ALL the different software revisions since day one the 6.7L has been released!

Nobody ever mentiones the loss of power...
Sorry to bust this urban legend about simply unplugging the EGR!

Nothing is lost ! Just go onto our website and read the instructions we provide to delete the EGR. Simply remove the actuator from the EGR motor and plug the cross over tube.

Voilą! No Egr, no codes AND full power. Of course, I doubt that you'll see any mileage gains at all done that way.

Marco aka Mythbuster "
The horsepower numbers he quotes are rear wheel horsepower, I believe not the advertise flywheel that Dodge uses.

Just my$0.02
Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Great Info but no one has answered my questions...
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOutdoorsman
I've been getting a lot of advice about unplugging the EGR on my 2009 6.7 Cummins. If I unplug, I will get the check engine light. If I have to take the truck in for warranty work, I will need to plug the EGR back in and delete the code or I could affect my warranty.

I have a few questions...
What code reader should I use to read and delete codes?
Where does it plug into the truck?
After I've deleted any codes, will a dealer be able to see deleted codes?

I have about 1000 miles on my new truck and don't want to hurt the turbo and other components. I don't understand the whole concept of putting dirty exhaust back into the engine and would rather stop that if possible.
You will get a CEL if you unplug. I did this myself. When I had to go to the dealer and get the latest flash for the ECM I just plugged it back in and cleared the code with a cheap scanner from Harbor Freight. The scanners plug into the OBDII port near the hood release.

I had no issues with warantee or anything... The dealer may be able to find stored codes, but this is almost "normal" and you can easily plead ignorance to it all.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks... exactly what I needed to know.

Anyone else out there with a 2009 that has been unplugged?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W
I had my EGR un-plugged for 6 months and then plugged the EGR back in. I have been following the discussion on un-plugging your EGR in the "3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only)" section by GMScott "Unplugging the EGR."

After reading Marco reply to un-plugging the EGR "post number 358, page 24" I plugged mine back in. I am saving up for a Smarty for the 6.7L and then will purchase one. At that time I will look into following Marco's advice. This will depend on the emission laws in IL and if I need to be smog tested or not.
I have pasted his comments below for you if you could not find it.

I Quote
"EGR unplug Mythbuster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentleman,
A few MSG's back , Lil Dog provides and rather good describtion how the exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber are supposed to work. Yet, one thing left out of the picture is the fact that any diesel engine is a lean burner by working principle. Means that there is always more air than needed for the combustion in the cylinder. Burning lean ( besides other factors like for example the injection timing ) is what raises the temperature in the combustion chamber thus produces NOx. For this reason oxigen poor exhaust gasses are routed back into the cylinder through the EGR in order to replace the oxigen and thus lower the combustion temperature. So far so good. Now we got the complete picture about the combustion process with the EGR routing exhaust gasses back into the intake.

BUT then...where does the mileage gain come from?

Well, the answer is rather simple. When you disconnect the EGR the ECM derates the power of the engine! Less horses to feed, better mileage.

On my dyno, the stock truck is somewhere between 255-260Hp. Simply unplugging the EGR the power goes down to 170-175Hp. That's been true with ALL the different software revisions since day one the 6.7L has been released!

Nobody ever mentiones the loss of power...
Sorry to bust this urban legend about simply unplugging the EGR!

Nothing is lost ! Just go onto our website and read the instructions we provide to delete the EGR. Simply remove the actuator from the EGR motor and plug the cross over tube.

Voilą! No Egr, no codes AND full power. Of course, I doubt that you'll see any mileage gains at all done that way.

Marco aka Mythbuster "
The horsepower numbers he quotes are rear wheel horsepower, I believe not the advertise flywheel that Dodge uses.

Just my$0.02
Well I'm going to respectfully disagree with this theory. The mileage gained is due to cutting the amount of regens needed by up to 2/3, not due to de-rating of the engine. One can hook up all the dynos and scanners that they like but the proof is in the pudding, such as pulling a load of 15,000 pounds up an 8% grade. Any loss of power would surely be fully noticeable but yet I haven't experienced any whatsoever. What I HAVE noticed is that where my trucked used to regen 4 to 5 times during the same trip (500 miles), it now only does so 2 or 3 times, and my mileage is 10% better. Again, I am just stating the hard facts of my own experience.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM

With the EGR unplugged at 30,000 miles I am getting 16 in town driving with the EB and tow haul on. I jumped 2 MPG (from 14) by engaging the tow haul with the EB (not towing). I don't know the reason why....don't really care....my mpg is up and that's all I care about.