3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Three winters of misery, done with this one.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three winters of misery, done with this one.

I bought my 07.5 2500 new off the lot. 1st winter I had problems with the error codes and had to put up with the flash updates. To remedy this I finally broke down and bought a code reader, to clear codes. Summer came new flash truck was fine.
2nd winter hit and I had to take the truck into a dealer 300 miles from home DPF pluged. They replaced it and I was fine till the next cold snap. Again 115 miles from home the truck stranded me again. Took it to the closest dealer and like last time DPF. Had someone pick me up took me home 2 day's later I took my flat bed and half ton up to pick up the 2500. Hooked 2500 to trailer and went to tow half ton home, before i got there again DPF plugged. This time took it to my local dealer and they did the same thing. Finally warm weather no problems.
Now 3rd winter same thing DPF, again to local dealer. Same fix with added clean out of egr system, This was in early Nov. Got the truck back and within 3 day's DPF. Again to the dealer this time just had a little bit of inexperience with new tech he didn't completly clean things out. Got the truck back driving it home I came to a stop sign, lost power blowing smoke. Within a mile or two started to run fine again. Well to be safe back to the dealer, guess what no trouble codes and drove 50 miles couldn't repeat problem. Brought truck home left for work the next morning, came to a stop sign and again no power and smoke. Back to the dealer left truck there another 5 day's. Went to pick it up and they ran through 1/4 tank of fuel again just couldn't get truck to repeat problem no codes. Left dealer within 1 mile 1st stop sign no power and smoke. Went back to dealer picked up service manager 1st stop sign no power and smoke. Left the truck at the dealers again. 1 week later went to pick it up, guess what could repeat problem but now trouble codes and they were trying to get answers from engineers. left the truck another week went back still no answers but warmer weather and truck doesn't repeat the same problem. 2 day's later cold weather again no power and smoke.
With these problems i know the first thing that comes to mind is bad fuel. I purchase my fuel from chevron and we have had it tested. It's not gelling up. We have kept truck as full as possible each winter avoiding condensation in the tank as much as possible. Next thing that comes to mind is no getting completed regen's. After last flash regen shows on overhead display and truck has been driven at hi-way speed until regen is complete (at times making me late for work). The truck only has 38000 miles on it and it isn't run in town most of my driving is hi-way, I don't let it idle in the drive way, and have taken very good care of it ie general maintance and oil changes.

At this point I'm pretty much done with this truck, I've had a 99,01,03,05 and now this 07.5 all CTD's. All previous trucks were excellent which has kept me very loyal to the Ram Diesels. Also have an 09 Rubicon at this point I can't keep the tuck when i can't depend on it in the winter, I had to borrow a truck for a road trip a week ago.

Just had to vent and hoping others aren't running into the same problems. I am very open to suggestions, and way beyond fustrated.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM

How about a DPF delete? There goes your warranty, but you'll probably be pleased with the results. Sounds like your woes are in that area...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that is allot bad luck. Are you running any sort of fuel conditioner? I run DSG fuel additive and have had no issues. I also have an Edge Insight which lets me monitor the regens, etc. I have unplugged my EGR with great results, better fuel economy and no laggy turbo. Are you keeping the revs up? If mine start to drop below 1500, I drop a gear to keep them higher. I have noticed that in town in winter (-22 temps right now), if a regen kicks in and the exhaust temps cannot be maintained, it will shut the regen down until the exhaust temp can be maintained. That being said, most of the time I'm towing a 3500 lb dump trailer so the engine is working. I've only had the regens shut off when not towing, driving slow in town in winter. Try running a good fuel conditioner like Power Service and try switching fuel sources.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you had all the latest flashes and such? There have been a ton of them on the 07.5 and 08 trucks.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM

bet you wish you still had your 05 before the put all the emissions garb on the trucks. Don't know if your state has a lemon law or not but you could always check into it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM

I don't blame you, I'd dump it too. Every time I make a trip with mine I wonder if it will act up, but so far, so good. Best of luck with whatever you get next.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM

I would deffenitly look into lemon law i have looked into it myself the truck has to have the same problem 3 times with no cure and a certain amout of days out of service which im pretty sure you have had plenty, i know thats the way for new york anyway
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Man, what a pain in the bee-hind. Time to get rid of the piece of junk. You have been more than patient and tried to get it straightened out, to no avail. Hope you have better luck with whatever brand you get.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Get yourself a new DPF and what not under warantee for future needs and then just fix it right with the S67ME and bolt in a delete pipe. If I can do it anyone can...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Been there and done that with the DPF and cold weather. 7 trips to the dealer in the first year in Alaska. The DPF would not clean out with the cold weather up here. Also continually tripped the EGR temp compare circuit anytime the temp was around 15 degrees. Continually left the check engine MIL burning. I cleared codes until I was blue in the face. This past summer I lost all the emmissions junk and put an XRT tuner on the truck. This winter has been awesome. It was like buying a new truck. Cost me about 1800.00 to do all the deletes and the tuner. Best choice ever. Just something to think about as you face the continually clogged filters. Not a design for the cold weather. By the way I was also getting about 9 mpg when temps dropped below zero. It was the DPF regen trying to get up to temp to burn out the stuff. Not a fuel issue other than raw few being injected. Now I am at 16.5 city and around 20 on the highway with arctic grade fuel.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM

I know this wont make you feel any better ,but I remember reading a thread on here about how the 08s and 09s have a little bit better emissions system due to the knowledge Dodge gained from the 07.5s and of course you probably wont see those parts on your truck unless one fails and you pay for it and perhaps it might not even be compatable with the rest of your emissions stuff.Maybe your best/cheapest bet is some delete kits.I almost ended up with an 07.5 as well and although my 06 engine has been fine,I do have other issues with my truck,which I am not impressed by.Remember its not the Cummins fault its all the poorly designed crap Dodge straped onto it.Maybe its time to loosen some bolts,so some of that stuff falls off.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't think its poorly designed Dodge parts since its a Cumins EGR and DPF and Ford and Chevy also are plagued with DPF and EGR problems. Its more of a problem with the EPA making mandates before the technology is perfected to comply with such mandates. Sorry to disagree with previous post, just like for the facts to be straight.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by p035970
I don't think its poorly designed Dodge parts since its a Cumins EGR and DPF and Ford and Chevy also are plagued with DPF and EGR problems. Its more of a problem with the EPA making mandates before the technology is perfected to comply with such mandates. Sorry to disagree with previous post, just like for the facts to be straight.
I don't like any of this EPA induced garbage one bit, but unfortunately, as is with many things, if it was not for a deadline then nothing would ever get done...
Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Just a plain ole guy

I think I'll be sticking with my 04.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM

there was a tech bulletin that came out middle of last year where they were replacing the oxy sensors with a new improved version at the dpf, both in front of and behind. they also did a thermal wrap of the sensors. you might check to see if that has been done on yours, and make sure that you have the lastest software update (flash). Other than that, I would do one of two things, do the dpf delete or get a lemon law lawyer. let us know how it comes out.