3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well a lot of its not really DCs fault. Tier III emmisions was the big problem and Cummins ready to meet all expectations for engine sales in the light truck may have pushed it some. DC just buys the Cummins, they dont build them. Now there are plenty of CUMMINS programs that can get there engine to perform at different levels and that engine may very well produce 450 and then some with their software. Its been that way since the CELECT systems came out in 93 for their HD truck engines. I have a 95 Cummins M11 that has a programmable range of 275 to 450 hp and 1070 to 2250 ftlbs torque. But these are CUMMINS programs, not BD, Edge, Banks or SuperChips and others that simply modify or overtake the program that belongs in the truck.

To get a reliable uprate for this engine that wont destroy it, it needs software from Cummins. There are MANY different ways to make power. The Cummins engine justg has been VERY tolerant to different kinds of power uprates, like the way I did mine. It just isnt the right way to do it, but it works for the 5.9, works for me. But I wouldnt never try to do this on the 6.7, you can if you want, not me.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM

The 6.7L had to go through the same testing/validation that the 5.9L did.

I want to know who at Cummins told you that they have marine applications with the 6.7L at 600hp?

Don't take this the wrong way, but even if that was true, do you really think they would just tell you that over the phone? I call B.S.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
The 6.7L had to go through the same testing/validation that the 5.9L did.

I want to know who at Cummins told you that they have marine applications with the 6.7L at 600hp?

Don't take this the wrong way, but even if that was true, do you really think they would just tell you that over the phone? I call B.S.
It wasn't over the phone - first it was with a Cummins parts rep, he turned me onto another Cummins engine rep that I contacted by both phone and email - then I met him at Cummins in SLC - along with the engine rep and parts rep we went through all the info they could find at Cummins on the R&R of the 6.7. I emailed them today to see if they could send me the info they showed me to pass on to you all. And as for the marine apps running that HP - it showed up on the Cummins computer program, and me not being that familiar with it I couldn't tell you exactly where - I believe it was in the uprate charts. Like I said, I'll see if they'll forward the pages to me so I can post them here.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow Tim a M11 with torque ratings like that? Ive owned a trucking company for 15 years and have driven and owned Caterpillar, Cummins and God forbid Detroit Diesel engines and I have never seen or heard of a M11 Cummins with any ratings available like what you are stating? Are you sure you aren't talking about a N14 perhaps?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by trev6971
Wow Tim a M11 with torque ratings like that? Ive owned a trucking company for 15 years and have driven and owned Caterpillar, Cummins and God forbid Detroit Diesel engines and I have never seen or heard of a M11 Cummins with any ratings available like what you are stating? Are you sure you aren't talking about a N14 perhaps?
WHOOPS!! Your right! I was looking at the wrong line. Max is 450 HP 1450 ft lbs. My M11 is a 330HP @ 1600 RPM and 1350 ftlbs torque at 1200 RPM. The 330/1350 and 330/1250 seems to be the most popular program. I have the Cummins program in my laptop to reprogram the M11/ISM and N14/ISX. I am just waiting on my brother to show up with the interface cable to hook it up. The program can be down loaded from Cummins for free but the catch is unless your an approved fleet owner or manager you cant get the cable. My brother is but he is in Amarillo. So it gets done when we meet either here or there. We are going to set it for 400/1450. All I pull with it is my 40ft travel trailer. The reason for the change is better fuel ecomony.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 PM

6.7 in tractors

i don't know personally bout the 6.7 being in marine. could be i don't know. don't do too much boating. but the 6.7 is in fact in some of the new tractors. Not 4 sure on hp and tq. guessing around or up to maybe 150 hp but don't know on tq. they're in some of the mc cormicks and agco. possible some of the cases and new hollands. yes it is the same block and head design but no the tractors don't exhaust traps and filters and egr this and egr that. they do have variable geometery turbos and exhaust gas recirculators but thats about it. hope everyone has great luck with their new 6.7s got one of the last 5.9s made. love it so far
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 PM

I would love to stay with the 5.9, but I want to get a real tranny, and I think that the 68 might be the ticket.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
Hey Luke S, what's up with the anti-modifying sentiment? Did you know that at least 60% of Dodge truck sales are because of the mods available for these trucks, most peope mod, whether it's as simple as a intake or exhaust or as complex as a new cam, bigger turbo or what ever. I realize that modding causes serious headaches for dealerships because of warranty issues, and I understand the dealers stand on it. But lets face, DC doesn't always do what's best, and there is always room for improvement. I said improvement, meaning that if 20 or 200 more HP makes the truck run better and be more efficient then so be it.
I don't care if 60% of the people do it, 60% of the people are wrong. Maybe in your eyes it makes the truck run "better", whatever that means. But my stand is, if Dodge and Cummins wanted the truck to have another 50 or 150 hp they'd have built it that way from the get go. There is no reason in the world why anyone needs more than 350hp in a pick-up, which is where the current 6.7 is at, or even 305hp in the C&C. Even if by putting on crude aftermarket electronics you can gain some hp doesn't mean the rest of the truck can handle it. I don't give a hoot what anybody says long term reliability WILL suffer. I see first hand in my shop the effects this stuff has, and I can tell you the guys who leave them alone and service them by the book using o.e.m. service parts have less problems on average.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
I don't care if 60% of the people do it, 60% of the people are wrong. Maybe in your eyes it makes the truck run "better", whatever that means. But my stand is, if Dodge and Cummins wanted the truck to have another 50 or 150 hp they'd have built it that way from the get go. There is no reason in the world why anyone needs more than 350hp in a pick-up, which is where the current 6.7 is at, or even 305hp in the C&C. Even if by putting on crude aftermarket electronics you can gain some hp doesn't mean the rest of the truck can handle it. I don't give a hoot what anybody says long term reliability WILL suffer. I see first hand in my shop the effects this stuff has, and I can tell you the guys who leave them alone and service them by the book using o.e.m. service parts have less problems on average.
I agree with this 100%. The newest truck is perfect stock now. DC listened to everything we wanted, factory E brake,more gears,more power,more room.My first CTD had only 160hp,it needed help,as did my 2nd one at 215HP,the new one with 350hp,why bother voiding the warranty when its more than enough.My buddies got an 05 325HP,and if it was mine I wouldnt have modded it,its got plenty.I come from a position of living with modded CTD's for 8 yrs now.Id love to havea bone stock 350hp one,under warranty and reliable.Stock trucks are good too,anyone can drive it,theres a handlful of ppl i trust my twin turbo cummins with....its dangerous in the wrong hands,the rain,etc,not to mention it is easy to hurt it(run it hard with engine not up to temp)or no cool down time when stopping.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Now I want to say that I hear you 100% about modding and longetivity. BUT, honestly where is that line of too much. Its like saying you have too much money, or are too good looking etc. People have been modding cars since they were invented, if they wouldnt have been modding them we wouldnt have what we have now. The manufacturers watch to see what works, what dosent, whats popular, whats not. They then take that and try to incorporate this into new vehicles.

On my truck after my first round of mods (bdpp and k&n fipk) I dyno'd my truck at 348 RWHP (which is more than the new 6.7) While pulling my trailer I found the want for much more HP. (I have a 341 qslr eagle 5'er which is 37' 2" long and weighs 12k dry) Now I didnt need to go to the levels that I did, but it is fun, a real rush. I know have a truck that can turn low 12's, gain speed up any mountain, get phenominal fuel mileage.

With my new truck I am looking for more towing capacity, as I feel that legally in some states I could be in trouble with my truck, and I plan on doing alot of racing with my truck, and when you race you will break things, so I will use my new truck to tow this truck to the races that are along ways from here.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that if you polled 1000 people about this subject, you will get a 1000 different answers to different degrees.

For me I would like to take my new truck and just add a little more Hp, maybe up to around 400RWHP.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM

I guess I am old fashioned and conservative? I just think this is all rediculous. The camper your towing does not need a 400hp truck in front of it. Last week I towed 24,000lbs with an 02' 3500 with a 235hp S.O. engine and a 4.10 axle, it did a great job. I could go 70 mph down the interstate, why do we need more? You guys go ahead, it is your money, but my trucks are staying stock.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Ok, listen up. I didnt mean to start any kind of conflict, just give you a heads up on a new design DIESEL block that may have potential problems doing common uprates. I didnt say dont do it, I said I wouldnt do it. Or do it to the the 6.7 that is. Uprates is my buisness, its what I do, its how I make a living. At the same time I dont want to lead anyone into huge repair bills either by telling them "Hey, you have the 6.7? I have the BullyDog for it, the Edge, AEM" and so on, and I do, I sell them. But I am telling you from the info thats in front of me right now, you dont want to go there. Now thats knocking me out of sales, but I feel better about it.

I am not a 'keep it stock' nay sayer either. I mod the crap out of mine and others. Its fun, I like it, they like, they spend the money with me and I make the money doing it. But I will draw the line at times.

400 RWHP, which measurements, SAE, STP or DynaJet? 400 is easy to get with DynaJet or a tilted machine. 400 SAE and your gonna spend some money. 350 HP from the 6.7 isnt RWHP, its crank. On the dyno its more like 290 + or -. Thats a fairly steep mod to get 400 on the ground on an engine that was not tested or validated with anything other than stock Cummins software. In fact no engine was ever validated that way, only their way. I can go on and on about validation and testing and the many meaings it derives, suffice it to say there testing is VERY stringent, but they dont know Edge from a moon rock.

Anyway, just two cents more.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Holt
Ok, listen up. I didnt mean to start any kind of conflict, just give you a heads up on a new design DIESEL block that may have potential problems doing common uprates. I didnt say dont do it, I said I wouldnt do it. Or do it to the the 6.7 that is. Uprates is my buisness, its what I do, its how I make a living. At the same time I dont want to lead anyone into huge repair bills either by telling them "Hey, you have the 6.7? I have the BullyDog for it, the Edge, AEM" and so on, and I do, I sell them. But I am telling you from the info thats in front of me right now, you dont want to go there. Now thats knocking me out of sales, but I feel better about it.

I am not a 'keep it stock' nay sayer either. I mod the crap out of mine and others. Its fun, I like it, they like, they spend the money with me and I make the money doing it. But I will draw the line at times.

400 RWHP, which measurements, SAE, STP or DynaJet? 400 is easy to get with DynaJet or a tilted machine. 400 SAE and your gonna spend some money. 350 HP from the 6.7 isnt RWHP, its crank. On the dyno its more like 290 + or -. Thats a fairly steep mod to get 400 on the ground on an engine that was not tested or validated with anything other than stock Cummins software. In fact no engine was ever validated that way, only their way. I can go on and on about validation and testing and the many meaings it derives, suffice it to say there testing is VERY stringent, but they dont know Edge from a moon rock.

Anyway, just two cents more.
Tim H - I'm with you all the way. That is what a forum is all about, getting all the info and opinions out there for everyone to read. As for my 6.7 - it'll be stock until the warranty is up - then who knows.

Luke - man you're stubborn - and I like someone who sticks to their guns . To each their own.

Thanks all for the conversation

DH
Old 03-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS

Luke - man you're stubborn - and I like someone who sticks to their guns . To each their own.

I am stubborn! I am an ornry full blooded German, and you know what they say about Germans don't you?

"You can always tell a Germann, but you can't tell him much".
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM

LMAO,, I wish you were a dealer a little closer to me, I know that I would love dealing with you!!

Kevin

Quick Reply: Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?