3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Holt
Ok, listen up. I didnt mean to start any kind of conflict, just give you a heads up on a new design DIESEL block that may have potential problems doing common uprates. I didnt say dont do it, I said I wouldnt do it. Or do it to the the 6.7 that is. Uprates is my buisness, its what I do, its how I make a living. At the same time I dont want to lead anyone into huge repair bills either by telling them "Hey, you have the 6.7? I have the BullyDog for it, the Edge, AEM" and so on, and I do, I sell them. But I am telling you from the info thats in front of me right now, you dont want to go there. Now thats knocking me out of sales, but I feel better about it.

I am not a 'keep it stock' nay sayer either. I mod the crap out of mine and others. Its fun, I like it, they like, they spend the money with me and I make the money doing it. But I will draw the line at times.

400 RWHP, which measurements, SAE, STP or DynaJet? 400 is easy to get with DynaJet or a tilted machine. 400 SAE and your gonna spend some money. 350 HP from the 6.7 isnt RWHP, its crank. On the dyno its more like 290 + or -. Thats a fairly steep mod to get 400 on the ground on an engine that was not tested or validated with anything other than stock Cummins software. In fact no engine was ever validated that way, only their way. I can go on and on about validation and testing and the many meaings it derives, suffice it to say there testing is VERY stringent, but they dont know Edge from a moon rock.

Anyway, just two cents more.
Tim,

Does your engineer friend believe the 6.7 will be as durable/long lasting as the 5.9 if no mods are done?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

I think the 6.7 is "factory" rated for a longer service life than the 5.9. I would think that any substantial mods to the 6.7 that didn't control smoke/particulate would probably stuff the DPF full in short order. Biodiesel might help some with this but..... Ya know, these trucks are coming from the factory with more power than most of us can use. I'm almost more concerned that Dodge, GM and Ford will keep trying to raise the bar with displacement increases or whatever to the point that you can no longer have a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pickup that gets good fuel mileage. Talk of an upcoming 6.9 or 7.0 liter Duramax is out there. What's it gonna get.....13-14 mpg empty?! That sucks! I like my '98 gettin' 20. My' 04 got about the same. Fuel is pricey enough as it is.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Large Fan??

I am surprised nobody has brought up the fact of the enormous & loud fan that dodge has put on the 6.7 it looks to rob at least 25-30 hp to to mention mileage. Does anybody know of an aftermarket electric fan that can cool good enough???

6.7 w/ 6 spd auto ,Mega Cab 2500- 1700miles 14 mpg in city avg, going to have my first flash done tomorrow- hope that helps my economy! Call your dealer & give them your last 8 digits of VIV# to see if it needs updating
Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM

After a brief stop over at Xtremediesel.com
Looks like Edge already has a Juice with Attitude out for these trucks....
Airaid is the only brand that I've seen to offer an Intake
and The Bully Dog is available for pre-order.
Looks like the fun begins! I'm excited.
I'm debating on trading my truck in or not. I was going to keep doing upgrades but, I really like the new ones....

Last edited by chaos24valve; 07-02-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Extreme diesel has the edge/juice listed on their site but edge has not released them yet, but I can tell you that they are working very well. I have had my juice/attitude for about 3 weeks as well as my air raid and I am very pleased. This weekend I went out of town and averaged 18.5 mpg over 250 miles. I have an 07.5 2500 short bed 4x4 with the 68re and 3.73's..
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chaos24valve
After a brief stop over at Xtremediesel.com
Looks like Edge already has a Juice with Attitude out for these trucks....
Airaid is the only brand that I've seen to offer an Intake
and The Bully Dog is available for pre-order.
Looks like the fun begins! I'm excited.
I'm debating on trading my truck in or not. I was going to keep doing upgrades but, I really like the new ones....

S&B also has an intake. TS Performance has the MP-8 available, i think.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

People
I have been doing some pretty intensive research on the can-bus system used in the 6.7 and I believe it has more redundant systems than the shuttle. If the ECM sees abnormal boost, fuel or timing it goes into limp in, if you defeat the "main sensors" there are back ups that initiate shutdown and on and on. Many of these are not apparent to a non star DRB, now that being said and everyone knowing how much Chrysler would like to tell you "warranty is void" ANYTHING made by man can be cracked and the 6.7 is no exception.
Quad and the aftermarket SEMA people will git er done but sadly I will not be able to play until I have 200,000 on the OD The Quad commander gives me a feeling of empowerment with out the feeling of being my own warranty station.
Fred
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Chapter President

Anything new to say Quad? BTW how's the DTR gift?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned

There is no 6.7 marine engine. 480 hp is the QSB 5.9 marine. QSM11 has 750hp
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Xtreme Diesel has the AFE Stage2 intake available on their site for the 6.7. Does anyony have it on their rig yet?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If any average Joe would have mentioned "removing the catalytic converter", or typed up post #41 this whole thread would have disappeared.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Remember the first cell phones??? that brief case you had to carry around with a corded phone hooked up to it, I remember my dads when I was a kid.

Have you seen the new Iphone, basically a computer built into a cell phone. Doesn't stuff you never dreamed possible from a phone right???

And some of you say, why do I need all that right?? All you need to do is dial and talk right???

Well that kind of thinking would have us all carrying around brief case cell phones still.

I don't care what anyone says, I simply cannont beleive that a company like cummins would make a new better stronger engine that cannot handle the abuse some people push it to like the 5.9 if not more abuse. Companies like that watch these forums about there products just to see what everyone is doing and they know if people like us don't play with them they are going to loose business. Why do you think that the mustang is such a popular race car for everyone and there mother to drag race??? Ford watched our one lightning site and even chimned in once and awhile asking what improvments we would make.

Joe

P.S. How many of your old timers thought you would never see a aluminum block motor be stronger then some of the older engines you grew up with?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

I am going to instal my Afe tonight. Should be able to do some testing on this by next week.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by mrschendel
There is no 6.7 marine engine. 480 hp is the QSB 5.9 marine. QSM11 has 750hp
There is no 6.7 marine engine, yet.

The 5.9L will be completely replaced by the 6.7L within 2 years.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks to this thread I will hold off a few years and see what develops with the 6.7. I appreciate the "Heads-Up" from Tim Holt and his information makes sense to me especially now that I know what his business is.

Also if it were not for those folks who challenged Tim's post I would have missed more info from Tim so I personally appreciate the challenges as long as it is kept in good taste and it was on this topic.

I take it the 6.7 is a different beast than the 5.9, are the two interchangeable as far as bolt patterns if someone destroyed their 6.7 and wanted to replace it with a 5.9 could they?

Quick Reply: Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?