3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?

When I buy my new truck I am probably going to want to put something on it, maybe a smarty or something,, wondering if anyone knows if there is anything

Kevin
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Bullydog has a downloader(beta version) for the 6.7 in the C&C so I'd presume it would only be some programming issues to have a beta version for the 6.7 in the regular trucks...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Go to this website xtremediesel.com
Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM

MBRP has a nice exhaust out for it already.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 AM

Becareful up-rating a 6.7. These engines have siamese cylinders and can make hot spots in the cylinders where the coolant doesnt go around. Also the cylinders do not "resonate" like the common diesel and added pressures can crack the walls.

A very good friend of mine that knows the Cummins inside and out tells me that if tinker with this one, "pay to play" will have a whole new meaning. The 6.7 will live a very long and happy life used and worked like its designed.

Tinker with it and,,,,,well,,,,, The replacement engine is $14,000.00 dollars!

Not to mention what the extra fuel will do to shorten the life of the new particle traps, convertors and EGR systems. What extra timing will do to the engine as well.

Becarfull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I allmost bought one untill I got this info, me and my 5.9 will live together a VERY long time.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Tim Holt
Becareful up-rating a 6.7. These engines have siamese cylinders and can make hot spots in the cylinders where the coolant doesnt go around. Also the cylinders do not "resonate" like the common diesel and added pressures can crack the walls.

A very good friend of mine that knows the Cummins inside and out tells me that if tinker with this one, "pay to play" will have a whole new meaning. The 6.7 will live a very long and happy life used and worked like its designed.

Tinker with it and,,,,,well,,,,, The replacement engine is $14,000.00 dollars!

Not to mention what the extra fuel will do to shorten the life of the new particle traps, convertors and EGR systems. What extra timing will do to the engine as well.

Becarfull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I allmost bought one untill I got this info, me and my 5.9 will live together a VERY long time.
Not to be critical of your "friend" but he doesn't know what he's taliking about! The 6.7 block is at least 5 times stronger than the 5.9! The siamesed cylinders are used in every race engine ever made, it's not a new concept, and "resonate", resonation kills engines! The only problem that I've heard of with siamesed cylinder walls was with the Chevy small block 400, and that was a head problem! Check you info before you scream the "sky is falling"!

DH
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Well the good thing is I only want to add a little power,, I will have my 03 if I ever feel the need to go stupid. lol. I just want to add a smarty or something like that, just for pulling the trailer and a little better fuel mileage

Kevin
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

You guys are nuts! More power? There is no need for more power than where we currently are. What the heck, it is your $30-$50k truck your messing up not mine.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:15 PM

I have checked the info, and since my friend just happens to know the Cummins engine better than anyone here is because he just happens to be the engineer that draws up the designs. I take his word as gosple, you can take it anyway you want. Its your money!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98.5POS
Not to be critical of your "friend" but he doesn't know what he's taliking about! The 6.7 block is at least 5 times stronger than the 5.9! The siamesed cylinders are used in every race engine ever made, it's not a new concept, and "resonate", resonation kills engines! The only problem that I've heard of with siamesed cylinder walls was with the Chevy small block 400, and that was a head problem! Check you info before you scream the "sky is falling"!

DH
I do believe Tim H knows a lot about these trucks so I’d listen to what he had to say. That is if he is the same person I know from another web site.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:51 PM

For those that do not follow the issue of the block having the cylinders bonded, here is the scoop.

A diesel, unlike a gasoline engine, requires around 450 psi of compression to heat and ignite the fuel and air mix in the cylinder. That puts extreme stress on the cylinder walls, and then ignition takes place and hammers them even farther, such that they dramatically expand under pressure and contract after the exhaust is spilled. A diesel's cylinders actually ring like a bell as the engine runs, that is what causes cavitation and liner damage in both the cast-in liners like Cummins uses and in the drop in liners.

That expansion is not uniform in a Siamesed cylinder set. So, you get vibrational harmonics. That causes the pistons to vibrate against the cylinder walls and scuff the walls of the cylinders and create additional wear on the pistons and rings.

While this last issue does not apply to the new 6.7, it will if anyone sets about boosting the fueling rate and driving up the combustion temperatures. Siamesed cylinders do not cool evenly. They remain hot on the side that is bonded to the next cylinder.

Uneven cooling will destroy a diesel's pistons faster than anything other than lugging the engine.

If you drive one like it is designed, and stay within the OEM limitations it should last a very long time. Abuse it, and get out your checkbook - the new shortblocks are just a hair over $14,000.

This taken from the guy that knows more than me. I just hope he doesnt mind me quoting him.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey whoa whoa! Tim H, are you actually implying the engineers who designed them actually know more about how they should run then the guys who build all this crude aftermarket junk and all the guys on here who take what they say as gospel? What do you mean if you add fuel and screw with the timing you might mess something up? Thats a bunch of crap! After all, we need 450hp to pull our boats and campers!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Good to see you here Tim. You guys will do well to listen when Tim comments on something.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Before I bought my 07' 6.7 I contacted Cummins to get some back ground on the 6.7 platform. I was told that the 6.7 has been run in a marine environment for the past year or so at over 600HP with no ill effects. I believe the 5.9 had the same background testing also. Please, correct me if I'm wrong to say that the 6.7 should then also be able to hold at least 450hp on the street.

Hey Luke S, what's up with the anti-modifying sentiment? Did you know that at least 60% of Dodge truck sales are because of the mods available for these trucks, most peope mod, whether it's as simple as a intake or exhaust or as complex as a new cam, bigger turbo or what ever. I realize that modding causes serious headaches for dealerships because of warranty issues, and I understand the dealers stand on it. But lets face, DC doesn't always do what's best, and there is always room for improvement. I said improvement, meaning that if 20 or 200 more HP makes the truck run better and be more efficient then so be it.

If the 6.7 block is a step back from the 5.9 then Cummins should have their head examined. Maybe it's a conspiracy to make more money - mod the 6.7, break it, pay through the nose! Cummins knows that these engines are going to modded - do you all think they would build it weaker to break when they are modded? Who knows - but what I do know is that if the 6.7 starts to have major engine failures when modded, say goodbye to Dodge truck sales! I have lots of friends that were converted to other brands because of the "53" block issue and it could happen again.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks Snowball and DBLR.

Just passing along some info, thought it may help.

Quick Reply: Is there any aftermarket stuff for the 6.7 yet?