3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Suggestions on the Removal of a Stripped-Out Transfer Case Fill Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terb
If you want to come to phoenix i'll get it out for you. TOM
Gee, tanks. I'll be there in about 8 hours.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Thumbs up Success !

OK, I finally got the darn fill plug out of my transfer case. After I got the transfer case skid plate off, I found that a 14mm 12-point socket fit the square end of the #6 extractor quite well and put a breaker bar on it. However, now that I could get some better leverage and torque on the extractor, I ended up just twisting the business end of the extractor in the fill plug, so that was that. I then investigated drilling the fill plug, however, due to a welded-in crossmember just behind the rear of the transfer case (anchoring the rear of the two front torsion bars), there was no way to reach from the rear into the fill plug area and even if I could have, it would have been at an awkward angle.

So, I tried grinding some more material off of the tapered front of the extractor, but my Baldor twin-wheel grinder wouldn't even begin to tackle the hardened steel. I then went back to my small cut-off saw, put on a new diamond blade and cut another section off the extractor to get to a larger diameter section of the tool. I then banged the extractor end into the buggered cavity in the fill plug and then heated the hell out of the aluminum areas adjacent to the plug with my MAPP gas torch. I put the socket and breaker bar on the extractor again, but when I started to turn the extractor, it started going off-angle and acting like it was just going to spin inside the fill plug cavity again. Just when I was running out of travel on the breaker bar handle, I heard a loud snap and the plug had obviously broken free! After I completed a bit more with the breaker bar, I switched over to my standard 1/2" ratchet wrench and finished getting the extractor and plug out. Here is a shot of my success:
Name:  TransferCaseFillPlug-1.jpg
Views: 4497
Size:  85.7 KB

From the fact that the fill plug was totally flush with the back of the case, and yet the drain plug stood off over 1/8", it is very possible that these same quick lube grease monkeys previously overtightened the fill plug, perhaps using an air impact wrench. Anyway, it's out and I'll get a new plug tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions,

Don
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just joined this club and I have been searching the web for the proper tool to remove the stripped 10mm allen fill plug on my transfer case. I found these stubby mult-spline extractors. Irwin states that they are designed for high torque applications. I have heard some horror stories of the longer extractors breaking off in the stripped out plug and making things worse. I am assuming that the dealer is the only source for a new transfer case fill/drain plug. Here is a link to the stubby extractors:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bol...-522532-series
Opinions?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I really like the look of that stubby extractor. If I had that when I was involved with my frozen plug, it would have saved me from having to cut down my longer shank extractor.

In terms of replacement plugs, I went to several auto parts and hardware stores but no one had the right sized plug. I then dropped by the express lube place and it turned out that they had a box full of different plugs and they gave me a really cool one that looked hardened with a large outer hex head that you can really get a wrench on (instead of a socket arrangement). I don't think I will have a problem with this plug.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM

I found a parts diagram for the NV271 transfer case that lists the drain/fill plug part# 7A010. I have had no luck finding that part online.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM

If you want to get a factory replacement plug on-line, try this Dodge/Mopar parts place ... http://www.avondalewholesaleparts.com/

You can also send an email to Aaron Taylor (their parts guy) if the part number doesn't come up in the system (which sometimes happens). Here is his email address ... ataylor@avondaleauto.com

(And I don't have any connection with or interest in Avondale Dodge).

Good luck,
Don
Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a couple from the local dealership for $1 each. The correct part number is 68001627AA.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 PM

The irwin-hanson extractor worked great. The amount of force needed to remove these plugs once they are seized is incredible. The new plugs from the dealership parts counter appear to have anti-seize already on them.
Name:  IMG_3443.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  41.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3437.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  41.3 KB