3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power Service Additive and 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e-mail send to cummins..........................
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM

When my dad first got his 6.7 it had ULSD in the tank. According to the overhead he was getting about 15-16mpg. For his first fill up, all he could find was LSD at a little store back home. The owners manual said the truck is backwards-compatable with LSD so I filled up not thinking it would hurt anything. He filled up and drove home and his mileage jumped from 15 to 19.5 in about a 15 mile drive. The drive was no different than any other drive he had made through out the week but this time, with the LSD the mileage jumped almost 5mpg.

Interesting.

But due to the truck being made for ULSD he made sure to always get ULSD from now on. His mileage dropped back down to about 16. He decided to run new AmsOil Diesel Fuel additive for ULSD and it brought the mileage back up to 17-19. No problems for many months. But after reading many negative reports and accusations from other 6.7 drivers about additives being bad for the motor he has since quit using additives of any kind. The truck has about 19,000k on it now and the only problems have been a few codes and 2 oxygen sensors replaced under warranty.

His highway mileage is now about 19.5 and 16-17 in city. I guess the increase is due to the motor breaking in.

Thats our little story with the 6.7.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Well cummins was tight liped but here it is.

Thanks for your Email message. You have contacted Cummins, Inc. at our Customer Assistance Center located in Columbus, Indiana. This is our worldwide headquarters and has been our home since Clessie Cummins founded the company February 3, 1919. If your product was warranted by Cummins we would indicate that no additives are necessary. As your product is warranted by Dodge you will want to verify these details. Cummins designs and supplies the Cummins 6B5.9 and ISB 24-Valve turbo diesel engines to DaimlerChrysler, however, DaimlerChrysler warrants the diesel engine and truck completely, as a package unit. Cummins, Inc. and authorized Service Providers cannot provide warranty coverage on Dodge Ram trucks powered with Cummins diesel engines, since all warranties are handled by the Dodge dealers. To find the closest Dodge service, anywhere in North America, call Chrysler at 800-992-1997. For assistance with Dodge Ram truck issues, Dodge requires a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for vehicle identification (i.e., model, year, build plant, etc.). Always have your VIN number available when requesting assistance with your Dodge vehicle. When bringing a Dodge truck to a Dodge dealer for warranty service, you may also wish to verify that the service department is availing themselves of the diesel technician troubleshooting assistance that is available to Dodge dealers by way of their S.T.A.R. Hotline. Dodge dealers may call the DaimlerChrysler Hotline for technical assistance. Prior to 2004 model year, Dodge warranty on the engine was 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty coverage for the Cummins Turbo Diesel in the 2004 model year Dodge Ram is 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and is handled by Dodge dealers, not Cummins. See your local Dodge dealer or www.dodge.com <http://www.dodge.com> for further details regarding this warranty coverage. Customers should call Dodge Customer Service Hotline (800-992-1997) for assistance. We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. We occasionally misunderstand a question. If our answer to your communication looks like we have misunderstood your e-mail please reply with further inquiry. To locate the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider call our toll free customer assistance line 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357) or for computer assistance in locating a Service Provider, use Cummins Service Locator, which can be found on Cummins website: http://wsl.cummins.com/ServiceLocato...n=showworldmap Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) on 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357). Cummins Email (via webpage): http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...33&menuIndex=7 Customer Assistance CenterCummins, Inc.Columbus, Indiana, USA
Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Wow, that is the definition of "tight lipped". But I guess it would be asking too much to essentially "endorse" an additive so they probably opt to ban them all so they're safe.

Funny how they say in that verbiage of how sometimes they, "misunderstand the question". Yeah, I'm sure that's what happened.

Props to you for trying!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Flattman
How many miles do you have on your truck? And do you do a lot of idling or are you putting on mostly highway miles?
I have a little over 5K miles on my truck and I don't do a lot of idling. Mostly a mixture of around town and highway.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Cummins does make there own fuel additives, I noticed it in this service bulletin at: http://www.maitlandelectric.com/truck/fuel.html
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM

That's some serious reading...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Question

Can anyone post a document from either Dodge or Cummins that specifically states "DO NOT USE FUEL ADDITIVES IN THE 6.7L ENGINE"? I haven't seen one. All I know is people saying Dodge, Cummins, whoever, say not to use them. Not enough for me!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Eead my e-mail in the beginning :

"If your product was warranted by Cummins we would indicate that no additives are necessary. As your product is warranted by Dodge you will want to verify these details."

ooooooo,sorry just read you reply closely,never had heard that
Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM

i don't think additives are good for these engines.The manufacturer doesn't recommend them either.Good quality fuel(ULSD ONLY),good driving habits and good maintenance would do the work.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM

I for one run Amsoil oil, trans and diff fluid in my truck, but have NEVER seen the need for fuel additives. I was THINKING about running Opti Lube.... That being said, I haven't had a DROP of issues with my fuel delivery. in almost 4 years.
Scott
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM

I've only run Delo 400 and never a fuel additive in 14 years. Just keeps on truckin.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM

This is what Cummins told me:

"Thanks for your Email message. You have contacted Cummins, Inc. at our Customer Assistance Center located in Columbus, Indiana. This is our worldwide headquarters and has been our home since Clessie Cummins founded the company February 3, 1919.

There is no way for us to give you reassurance about aftermarket products. We have no idea what effects they will have on the engine. Espicially regarding additives we don't know what chemicals are in the additives and we don't know what happens when they burn. We neither approve nor condemn the use of any aftermarket product. Under normal circumstances we do not believe additives are necessary. Because your product is warranted by Dodge not Cummins it would be best to verify all these details with them.

Cummins designs and supplies the Cummins 6B5.9 and ISB 24-Valve turbo diesel engines to DaimlerChrysler, however, DaimlerChrysler warrants the diesel engine and truck completely, as a package unit. Cummins, Inc. and authorized Service Providers cannot provide warranty coverage on Dodge Ram trucks powered with Cummins diesel engines, since all warranties are handled by the Dodge dealers.

To find the closest Dodge service, anywhere in North America, call Chrysler at 800-992-1997.

For assistance with Dodge Ram truck issues, Dodge requires a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for vehicle identification (i.e., model, year, build plant, etc.). Always have your VIN number available when requesting assistance with your Dodge vehicle.

When bringing a Dodge truck to a Dodge dealer for warranty service, you may also wish to verify that the service department is availing themselves of the diesel technician troubleshooting assistance that is available to Dodge dealers by way of their S.T.A.R. Hotline. Dodge dealers may call the DaimlerChrysler Hotline for technical assistance.

Prior to 2004 model year, Dodge warranty on the engine was 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty coverage for the Cummins Turbo Diesel in the 2004 model year Dodge Ram is 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and is handled by Dodge dealers, not Cummins. See your local Dodge dealer or www.dodge.com <http://www.dodge.com> for further details regarding this warranty coverage.

Customers should call Dodge Customer Service Hotline (800-992-1997) for assistance.

We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. We occasionally misunderstand a question. If our answer to your communication looks like we have misunderstood your e-mail please reply with further inquiry."