Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Power Service Additive and 6.7 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/power-service-additive-6-7-a-176410/)

Flattman 11-03-2007 12:22 PM

Power Service Additive and 6.7

Guys, I know additives have been discussed here a lot, BUT now that there have been updated flashes that change the regen parameters and people are getting more miles on these engines, is it becoming more acceptable/safe to use an additive such as Power Service (silver bottle)? I went to the Power Service website and they claim the product is compatible with ALL DPF based diesels and their formula is ULSD.

And if you tell me they clog DPFs, can you explain how? Do they simply create more soot (I don't believe) or is it a chemical based issue that coats the DPF and won't burn off at those incredible regen temps?

I know some guys think this stuff and additives in general are snake oil, but I happen to think the extra lubricity is good for the injectors, the fuel system and engine in general.

I liken using additives in my truck to taking vitamins; you'll never know if you would have gotten sick if you didn't take them so you never really know if they helped.

jthorpe 11-03-2007 12:29 PM

I have owned diesel vehicles since 1997 and not once have I ever put an additive in my fuel tank, and not once have I ever had a fuel problem. I would say that on the older trucks, it wouldn't be an issue but with the 07 and above, why do people insist on risking it, especially if you don't even know that it's working?

I can guarantee you this. If it doesn't work, you'll probably find out really quick; the hard way.

Flattman 11-03-2007 01:34 PM

I know, it's a sickness. I want to think I'm taking extra good care of my investment and that means doing some things that are above and beyond what most users/abusers do.

Maybe if I want to take extra good care of my investment, I should just leave things alone. [duhhh]

Dodge man 11-03-2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flattman (Post 1772152)
Guys, I know additives have been discussed here a lot, BUT now that there have been updated flashes that change the regen parameters and people are getting more miles on these engines, is it becoming more acceptable/safe to use an additive such as Power Service (silver bottle)? I went to the Power Service website and they claim the product is compatible with ALL DPF based diesels and their formula is ULSD.

And if you tell me they clog DPFs, can you explain how? Do they simply create more soot (I don't believe) or is it a chemical based issue that coats the DPF and won't burn off at those incredible regen temps?

I know some guys think this stuff and additives in general are snake oil, but I happen to think the extra lubricity is good for the injectors, the fuel system and engine in general.

I liken using additives in my truck to taking vitamins; you'll never know if you would have gotten sick if you didn't take them so you never really know if they helped.

Flattman, I don't know for sure what to do or who to believe but I have read and talked with a few dealers and all I can find is this Do not put any additives in a 2007.5 or newer truck. Had 3 trucks (not the new 6.7L one's though) and never put anything in the tank except fuel. [coffee]

engi041 11-03-2007 07:02 PM

The service advisor at my local dealer told me to run marvel mystery oil in mine, then I looked at a bottle of it and it says not for use in 07 and up. I have been running amsoil additive since day one and I haven't had the first problem out of my truck what so ever.

Spooler 11-04-2007 12:36 AM

There is really no need to run additives at all in a 6.7 truck or even a 5.9 truck. I did for a little while in my 5.9 to help clean out some carboned up injectors but I found that if you load heavy and work the truck as it is supposed to be used that the injectors will clean themselves off very easily. The best thing you can do for your truck in regards to fuel is to buy from a high volume fuel station that has trucks coming in every day. That way you always get fresh fuel. At these places is where I will normally get the best MPG out of my truck at least by 1 MPG. I pay a little more but not much and the quality is excellent.

jthorpe 11-04-2007 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Flattman (Post 1772238)
I know, it's a sickness. I want to think I'm taking extra good care of my investment and that means doing some things that are above and beyond what most users/abusers do.

hahaha, I understand. I'm the same way about certain things. Don't worry, you're not alone.

Maybe if I want to take extra good care of my investment, I should just leave things alone. [duhhh]
For now, that is what I personally believe to be the right thing. I don't think there is anyone out there right now who can truly say that it's okay to run this stuff in our new engines yet. That's just my opinion of course. It's too early for me to feel comfortable putting anything in my tank.

As I have said before though, I have put a lot of miles on these things for 10 years now and haven't put an additive in the tank yet. Never had a problem with any of my engines.

Instead of calling a dealer, maybe call Cummins direct and see what they have to say?

TrueBlueInBak 11-04-2007 11:06 AM

I, for one, am not brave enough to try anything until my warranty is exhausted. Once the warranty goes away and other's have tried new stuff, then I might be more apt to try to tweak the engine a bit. Overall, I agree with everyone and leave well enough alone, if for no other reason than to ensure you're within warranty specs.

mskibo 11-04-2007 11:29 AM

Winter Additives

Has anyone found the need to run anti-gelling additives in the winter? I am going to be heading to Canada and Idaho at Christmas and am wondering if I need to add anything to the fuel to prevent gelling.

Thanks
Mike

Flattman 11-04-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe (Post 1773044)
Instead of calling a dealer, maybe call Cummins direct and see what they have to say?

This piece of good advice certainly would take speculation out of the debate.

Originally Posted by TrueBlueInBak (Post 1773388)
I, for one, am not brave enough to try anything until my warranty is exhausted.

I'm certainly not in a position to jeopardize a warranty either seeing as how this was the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought.

Ok you guys, I'm going to move on once and for all on this. But first, I gotta throw away the last silver bottle I have sitting on my workbench that was leftover from my 6.0 Powerstroke. That stupid bottle stares at me every time I pull my truck in the garage and gets me going all over again. [laugh]

truckjunkie 11-04-2007 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mskibo (Post 1773415)
Has anyone found the need to run anti-gelling additives in the winter? I am going to be heading to Canada and Idaho at Christmas and am wondering if I need to add anything to the fuel to prevent gelling.

Thanks
Mike

Yeah - what he said - what about anti-gel in the 6.7's?

GMScott 11-04-2007 08:32 PM

I've had 3 Cummins diesels, 98 - 125k miles, 04.5 - 330k miles & now the 07.5 - 73k miles. I used additives religiously with the first 2 and had good results, especially if I picked up some lousy fuel. I started to use Howes (Cummins Aproved for 6.7l) with the 07.5/6.7l just like I did with the previous Cummins, every tank = 135 gals., and within 30k miles the EGR valve stuck open and when pulled out was found to be all "gummed" up. It was filled with soot & was very sticky & gummy inside - hard to clean. I was told by DC NOT to use any fuel additives. I'm concerned about this winter & gelling. I am also disappointed in that I can't use any additives to boost the cetane level of the fuel I purchase to get better fuel mileage. The additives I used DID help with fuel mileage on the 98' & 04.5. With the winter fuel coming, which has a lower b.t.u. rating = lower m.p.g.'s, plus the cost at $3.30/gal I sure wish I could use additives to get some better mileage. I was told that by using additives a higher level of "ash" will be created in the exhaust system. Ash will fill the DPF, it is not burned by the regeneration process like soot and will cause a premature replacement of the DPF on my dime as I'm currently over the emissions warranty.
New technology = new maintenance habits. So I'll be additive FREE thru the winter. Hopefully with NO problems.

DBLR 11-06-2007 02:42 PM

IIRC both Dodge and Cummins sell fuel additives so I don’t understand why they say not to use any from someone else. BTW, Valvoline makes an injector cleaner that is approved by Cummins and it even has the big C logo on the front lable. In fact I just found this Valvoline URL: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=97

Flattman 11-06-2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR (Post 1777307)
IIRC both Dodge and Cummins sell fuel additives

For the 6.7? The Cummins logo is enticing, but nothing specific on the website referring to the 6.7 or any other Cummins engine for that matter.

bigblock2stroke 11-07-2007 09:52 AM

check the bottle. The last batch of Fleetgaurd winter additive I had (last week), said NOT to use it on 07 emissions compliant vehicles.

Personally, I think its a bunch of bull. I bet your EGR valve is sooting up at the same rate without using any additive. I am also concerned with the lubricity of no1 arctic fuel.

I thought the ash comes from the oil and that's why you have to buy the expensive "low ash" oil. Now they are saying it comes from fuel and fuel additives. Something's fishy.