3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power Service Additive and 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
check the bottle. The last batch of Fleetgaurd winter additive I had (last week), said NOT to use it on 07 emissions compliant vehicles.

Personally, I think its a bunch of bull. I bet your EGR valve is sooting up at the same rate without using any additive. I am also concerned with the lubricity of no1 arctic fuel.

I thought the ash comes from the oil and that's why you have to buy the expensive "low ash" oil. Now they are saying it comes from fuel and fuel additives. Something's fishy.
Not being a scientist or an engineer, just a lowly lab rat consumer, I can only rely on what is spoken to me and accept the credibility that comes with that position - lol, BUT diesel fuel additives have other "ingredients" that don't react with the chemical "stuff" in the converter like fuel does and then get passed on thru to the DPF or even WORSE could end up back in your crankcase via the EGR. There is an extensive lab report concerning the various properties of the different diesel fuel additives that was floating around here some time ago. Surprising results with the performance of each, how some DE-creased lubricity and all the chemicals that they contained. I think it is the added chemicals that will mess with the EGR system.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well being I brought up Valvoline fuel additive, I sent them an Email to see if they say its Ok to use in the 6.7 Cummins. I'll let you know what they have to say if they reply.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Well being I brought up Valvoline fuel additive, I sent them an Email to see if they say its Ok to use in the 6.7 Cummins. I'll let you know what they have to say if they reply.
Cool, thanks for the follow up!!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM

I got a reply from Valvoline just now and below is what they had to say:

Absolutely, it is 100% fine for use in the 2007 Cummins.

To: VWEBMAIL@Ashland
cc:

Subject: Site feedback from Valvoline.com

The following person submitted a question or comment via the Contact us form of type Ask SynPower
First Name: Charles
Last Name:
Address1:
Address2:
City:
State: --
Zip Code:
Phone:

Email Address: dblr@

Comments:

I would like to know if your diesel fuel additive is safe to use in a 2007 Cummins 6.7L diesel engine.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM

If it's not broke - don't try to fix it.

I, Like Jack Thorpe, have never used any additives in 6.5 years of Cummins ownership. I have never had a fuel gelling or lubricity problem. It's money down the drain, and simply increases the cost of fueling up your truck.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

X2

I've had dump trucks with Detroit Diesels, various Cummins diesels, excavating equipment with Cat motors, all with hundreds of thousands of miles and/or operating hours. Plus 3 powerstrokes with over 500,000 miles total between them, and I have never ran a drop of fuel additive in any of them. I've never had a problem with fuel unless it was -30 degrees and then it didn't matter whether you were running additives or not. As long as you use fresh fuel and not something thats been sitting in a farmers storage tank for 2 years with algae growing in it, additives are a waste IMHO
Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
X2

I've had dump trucks with Detroit Diesels, various Cummins diesels, excavating equipment with Cat motors, all with hundreds of thousands of miles and/or operating hours. Plus 3 powerstrokes with over 500,000 miles total between them, and I have never ran a drop of fuel additive in any of them.
But were those run with ULSD? It's the ULS in that acronym that worries me. Just like most of the major automobile motor oils have removed zinc from their formulas and some of the hotrodders that had mechanical (non-roller) cams were eating up brand new camshafts during the break in period. So now some oils have put it back in (mobil 1 15-50 for instance) and those issues have seemed to stopped. In fact, many of those folks had switched to Rotella for their engine break ins.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, pig headed or force an agenda, but I worry we're part of this large scale experiment to see how "clean" the fuel and oils can get before they fail to provide the lubrication protection they were meant to provide.

Last edited by Flattman; 11-07-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you're being a pain or being argumentative. Your questions are valid as thousands of owners will be wondering the same thing. My take on it is that only time will tell what will REALLY happen. Once these engines have a lot more miles on them and people either have problems or don't, only then will we know for sure.

My philosophy on the whole thing is to take a wait and see approach. SOMEONE out there is going to do it, and when they finally post their results a year or two from now, then we might have a better idea. I'm in safe mode myself, and will not dare add this stuff to my tank, especially when it comes from the manufacturer in big bold letters not to do so. I would hate for someone to take their truck in for warranty work only to find it void because they didn't read or they ignored instructions.

As I said before, it's just my personal philosophy on the whole thing. I know this sounds mean, but I hope someone DOES religiously add this stuff to their tank because I'm truly curious about what the end result will be.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mskibo
Has anyone found the need to run anti-gelling additives in the winter? I am going to be heading to Canada and Idaho at Christmas and am wondering if I need to add anything to the fuel to prevent gelling.

Thanks
Mike
I add PS or Schaeffers' with every fill-up in the winter even though the stations/suppliers around here go to winter blend just to be sure they didn't forget AND if the truck sits all night at 20-30 below the anti-gel makes it certain that you'll be OK.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mj007
I add PS or Schaeffers' with every fill-up in the winter even though the stations/suppliers around here go to winter blend just to be sure they didn't forget AND if the truck sits all night at 20-30 below the anti-gel makes it certain that you'll be OK.
Guys, be careful with the advice in this thread. I was specifically asking this question for myself and others regarding the 6.7 motor. Your sig shows you with a 5.9 so I want to be sure folks don't read this and become misinformed.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
I got a reply from Valvoline just now and below is what they had to say:

Absolutely, it is 100% fine for use in the 2007 Cummins.

To: VWEBMAIL@Ashland
cc:

Subject: Site feedback from Valvoline.com

The following person submitted a question or comment via the Contact us form of type Ask SynPower
First Name: Charles
Last Name:
Address1:
Address2:
City:
State: --
Zip Code:
Phone:

Email Address: dblr@

Comments:

I would like to know if your diesel fuel additive is safe to use in a 2007 Cummins 6.7L diesel engine.

...and I guess that means it is? Is that gospel? You've got a guy on here with real world experience with a "gummed up EGR valve." I think his fuel additive was for a 6.7 wasn't it? Probably could've emailed them also and would have received the same reply.

BigD
Old 11-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flattman
Guys, be careful with the advice in this thread. I was specifically asking this question for myself and others regarding the 6.7 motor. Your sig shows you with a 5.9 so I want to be sure folks don't read this and become misinformed.
Yep, you're right ... guess I got caught up in the posts relating "no additive in ANY diesels for 'X' years" .....
Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigDBP
...and I guess that means it is? Is that gospel? You've got a guy on here with real world experience with a "gummed up EGR valve." I think his fuel additive was for a 6.7 wasn't it? Probably could've emailed them also and would have received the same reply.

BigD
My self I've talked to others who have had their EGR gummed up and they don't use any fuel additives. So for me I find it hard to understand why a fuel additive alone caused the problem if it was used properly.

My $0.02
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM

You know, with all the reading I have done on various forums about not using fuel additives on the new 6.7L, I have never received any WRITTEN information from Dodge saying not to use them. The owners manual says that they are not necessary, but it does not say NOT to use them. I have been using Stanadyne Performance Formula, with a bit of their Lubricity Formula added for good measure, with every fillup since day one. So far so good.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JBOB
You know, with all the reading I have done on various forums about not using fuel additives on the new 6.7L, I have never received any WRITTEN information from Dodge saying not to use them. The owners manual says that they are not necessary, but it does not say NOT to use them. I have been using Stanadyne Performance Formula, with a bit of their Lubricity Formula added for good measure, with every fillup since day one. So far so good.
How many miles do you have on your truck? And do you do a lot of idling or are you putting on mostly highway miles?

Quick Reply: Power Service Additive and 6.7