3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lightning bolt on instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightning bolt on instrument cluster

Got a 2007 6.7L stock with the EGR unplugged. I've had it unplugged for quite some time and don't know if this is related but today I saw the lightning bolt come on and was wondering what it meant. Yes I am too lazy to read the manual, but I can get better information here anyway. I've attached a photo. Can you guys give me a clue? The last time I started the truck, that light did NOT stay on, so it's only happened once. I'm worried of a recurrance and being stuck on the side of the road or something though...
Attached Thumbnails Lightning bolt on instrument cluster-1317693222620-1.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the indicator for the electronic throttle control, a couple of weeks ago mine came on and stayed on but did not affect the engine performance, don't know if it's a coincidence or not but the next day one of my batteries cratered,replaced both batteries and no problems since.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Are any codes present ? I use to get the lightening bolt all of the time with codes P-2262 and P-061a, the EGR was un-hooked also. I did have the Turbo drilled and cleaned by the dealer, under warranty. I then deleted and added a Smarty with ME67 programming. I have not seen the dreaded lightening bolt nor the codes since I deleted.
I would check for any codes present and see if they are P-2262 and or P-061a to the turbo.
Just another suggestion to look at.
Jim W.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
test both batteries. have seen it way too many times a dead battery is the cause. (low voltage). make sure you load test each battery disconnected from the truck. a dead battery will still show 12v so load test them.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the same thing as Jim W before delete surgery.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What CBRAHS said.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
test both batteries. have seen it way too many times a dead battery is the cause. (low voltage). make sure you load test each battery disconnected from the truck. a dead battery will still show 12v so load test them.
x2!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
Are any codes present ? I use to get the lightening bolt all of the time with codes P-2262 and P-061a, the EGR was un-hooked also. I did have the Turbo drilled and cleaned by the dealer, under warranty. I then deleted and added a Smarty with ME67 programming. I have not seen the dreaded lightening bolt nor the codes since I deleted.
I would check for any codes present and see if they are P-2262 and or P-061a to the turbo.
Just another suggestion to look at.
Jim W.
Originally Posted by Scotty
I had the same thing as Jim W before delete surgery.
Me too! Except never got my Turbo drilled/cleaned. I deleted early on though and after the first CEL issue.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 PM

I'll also vouch that a battery is the culprit. Each time I got the lightning bolt it turned out to be a battery, first the driver's side and then about a year later the passenger side. I also recall some other strange things happening, such as the oil service message indicator coming on way too soon and a strange rapid clicking noise coming from somewhere behind the dash, like a relay chattering when starting the engine. These things cleared up with battery replacement.
The following users liked this post:
jvaldez (09-07-2020)
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM

I agree it could be batteries if they are old and need to be replaced.
But I know my issue was not caused by the batteries. When I had the Lightning bolt issue on my truck. The truck was only 10 months old and less than 10K on the OD. Original batteries are still in the truck and the lightning bolt issue is gone.
Jim W.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
I agree it could be batteries if they are old and need to be replaced.
But I know my issue was not caused by the batteries. When I had the Lightning bolt issue on my truck. The truck was only 10 months old and less than 10K on the OD. Original batteries are still in the truck and the lightning bolt issue is gone.
Jim W.
Same here! Battery is an easy one to do or check, so hopefully it ends there.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Jack

Delete it already would ya....

Its just a fault for the throttle valve as mentioned. I concur with Chris. Check the batteries. My passenger side one went bad on the 08 and cause all kinda goofy issues. Makes the TIPM see a voltage below 9volts.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
DTR Founder

I will check the batteries. I did notice that when I had the lights on, they got very dim when I started the truck so that could be the case. That never happened until recently and coincides with the light on the instrument cluster. Thanks for the tips guys. That is why I love the website that I built. hehehe
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jthorpe
I will check the batteries. I did notice that when I had the lights on, they got very dim when I started the truck so that could be the case. That never happened until recently and coincides with the light on the instrument cluster. Thanks for the tips guys. That is why I love the website that I built. hehehe
Hmmm.....

Careful analysis of this post reveals three key phrases that seem to be missing.

1. I deleted
2. Holy Crap!
3. OMGWOWKTHXBYE!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
DTR Founder

I'm still under warranty!!

Quick Reply: Lightning bolt on instrument cluster