Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Lightning bolt on instrument cluster (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/lightning-bolt-instrument-cluster-295799/)

jthorpe 10-03-2011 09:50 PM

Lightning bolt on instrument cluster

1 Attachment(s)
Got a 2007 6.7L stock with the EGR unplugged. I've had it unplugged for quite some time and don't know if this is related but today I saw the lightning bolt come on and was wondering what it meant. Yes I am too lazy to read the manual, but I can get better information here anyway. I've attached a photo. Can you guys give me a clue? The last time I started the truck, that light did NOT stay on, so it's only happened once. I'm worried of a recurrance and being stuck on the side of the road or something though...

kthiemann 10-04-2011 06:27 AM

That is the indicator for the electronic throttle control, a couple of weeks ago mine came on and stayed on but did not affect the engine performance, don't know if it's a coincidence or not but the next day one of my batteries cratered,replaced both batteries and no problems since.

Jim W 10-04-2011 07:56 AM

Are any codes present ? I use to get the lightening bolt all of the time with codes P-2262 and P-061a, the EGR was un-hooked also. I did have the Turbo drilled and cleaned by the dealer, under warranty. I then deleted and added a Smarty with ME67 programming. I have not seen the dreaded lightening bolt nor the codes since I deleted.
I would check for any codes present and see if they are P-2262 and or P-061a to the turbo.
Just another suggestion to look at.
Jim W.

cbrahs 10-04-2011 08:23 AM

test both batteries. have seen it way too many times a dead battery is the cause. (low voltage). make sure you load test each battery disconnected from the truck. a dead battery will still show 12v so load test them.

Scotty 10-04-2011 09:28 AM

I had the same thing as Jim W before delete surgery.

Gatorama 10-04-2011 09:50 AM

What CBRAHS said.

SpeedyWS6 10-04-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs (Post 3027547)
test both batteries. have seen it way too many times a dead battery is the cause. (low voltage). make sure you load test each battery disconnected from the truck. a dead battery will still show 12v so load test them.

x2!!!

mega-engr 10-04-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W (Post 3027540)
Are any codes present ? I use to get the lightening bolt all of the time with codes P-2262 and P-061a, the EGR was un-hooked also. I did have the Turbo drilled and cleaned by the dealer, under warranty. I then deleted and added a Smarty with ME67 programming. I have not seen the dreaded lightening bolt nor the codes since I deleted.
I would check for any codes present and see if they are P-2262 and or P-061a to the turbo.
Just another suggestion to look at.
Jim W.

Originally Posted by Scotty (Post 3027574)
I had the same thing as Jim W before delete surgery.

Me too! Except never got my Turbo drilled/cleaned. I deleted early on though and after the first CEL issue.

mr. ed 10-04-2011 09:31 PM

I'll also vouch that a battery is the culprit. Each time I got the lightning bolt it turned out to be a battery, first the driver's side and then about a year later the passenger side. I also recall some other strange things happening, such as the oil service message indicator coming on way too soon and a strange rapid clicking noise coming from somewhere behind the dash, like a relay chattering when starting the engine. These things cleared up with battery replacement.

Jim W 10-05-2011 10:37 AM

I agree it could be batteries if they are old and need to be replaced.
But I know my issue was not caused by the batteries. When I had the Lightning bolt issue on my truck. The truck was only 10 months old and less than 10K on the OD. Original batteries are still in the truck and the lightning bolt issue is gone.
Jim W.

mega-engr 10-05-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W (Post 3027988)
I agree it could be batteries if they are old and need to be replaced.
But I know my issue was not caused by the batteries. When I had the Lightning bolt issue on my truck. The truck was only 10 months old and less than 10K on the OD. Original batteries are still in the truck and the lightning bolt issue is gone.
Jim W.

Same here! Battery is an easy one to do or check, so hopefully it ends there.

Blake Clark 10-05-2011 06:46 PM

Hey Jack

Delete it already would ya....

Its just a fault for the throttle valve as mentioned. I concur with Chris. Check the batteries. My passenger side one went bad on the 08 and cause all kinda goofy issues. Makes the TIPM see a voltage below 9volts.

jthorpe 10-06-2011 06:03 PM

I will check the batteries. I did notice that when I had the lights on, they got very dim when I started the truck so that could be the case. That never happened until recently and coincides with the light on the instrument cluster. Thanks for the tips guys. That is why I love the website that I built. hehehe

Blake Clark 10-06-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jthorpe (Post 3028539)
I will check the batteries. I did notice that when I had the lights on, they got very dim when I started the truck so that could be the case. That never happened until recently and coincides with the light on the instrument cluster. Thanks for the tips guys. That is why I love the website that I built. hehehe

Hmmm.....

Careful analysis of this post reveals three key phrases that seem to be missing.

1. I deleted
2. Holy Crap!
3. OMGWOWKTHXBYE!

:hehe:

jthorpe 10-06-2011 10:20 PM

I'm still under warranty!!