3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lab Rats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lab Rats

After 30 some years it seems the big 3 haven't caught on yet. Remember the junk in the 70's, the GM diesels in the 80's.They still use the American driving public as lab rats. I haven't taking delivery of my 08 yet because I had to order it, however the more I read about the 6.7 the less I want one.
My main concern is that they are always coming up with new codes. Which means that you have to use YOUR time to take it to the dealer and the time loss not being able to use the vehicle. Now if your a businessman this all affects the bottom line.
I'm a realist and realize that anything made by man can fail. But how many times does something have to fail before it is pulled from the market? My feelings are that any thing that has to go back more then 3 times, should be replaced or the customer given his money back.
How many 07.5s have had to get their codes changed? How many with 6.7's get edit poor mileage? How many have decided never to buy another Dodge product?
With the all of the code changes and other teething problems with the 6.7 it appears the 6.7 was exposed to the market place too soon. Making all who own one, a lab rate. With 2 exceptions the: rats don't pluke down a years worth of gross income to participate in the experiment. But on the bright side we aren't put to death then dismembered to see how the experiment affected us.

This is my first post I'm a pilgrim to dodge diesel's but I've owned,diesels, before. 2 GM 350 diesels, and I owned my own excavating company. Love the smell of diesel fumes blowing in my face. But alas they have tried to take that enjoyment away with all this emission crap. What is wrong with a little carbon in the air, without it we would die. IMHO,they ruined the diesel when they put computers on them. CISS.

Well till the next time, Dave

Last edited by madhat; 02-20-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last edited by TripleD : Today at 11:58 AM. Reason: speling

Seriously though, I have to agree. I know we can't be totally left to our own devices (environment wise) This earth won't stand all that, but I tend to think they are taking it a bit far. There has to be better things to pick on.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, Dave, I didn't realize that was your first post here.

Welcome!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

My dad has a 07.5, 6.7L with auto and it hasent seen the dealer since he drove it off the lot.

Welcome to the board.

Nick
Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Well, just so you know the vast majority of 6.7 owners out there have had very little or no trouble. I've got on 07.5 that's been trouble free for over 60K miles now. The 08's are having far less trouble than what was reported with the 07.5's. The 5.9's had their fair share of problems when they were first introduced and now they are pretty much the most trouble free diesel engine in a pickup today. The 6.7 will get there too in a year or two as well... with more power and more efficiency. I just got the AX flash yesterday and took a little 300 mile trip and noticed almost a 2mpg increase, so the improvements are still coming. If you're expecting 23mpg from the 6.7 you're not going to get it but 18-20 should be easily attainable as long as you don't constantly have your foot in it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 AM

I have a 6.7 with 9000 miles on it and not one bit of trouble. No codes , no nothing. It gets crappy gas mileage but I expected that with the tires and suspension I put on it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM

I side with those that own them, 25000Km and still no visits back to the dealer. Mileage isn't as pretty as the previous models but the power is sure impressive! I can't say enough about the 6 spd auto/ e-brake combo! The new Fords,and GMs can't boast much better fuel economy these days either! I'f you are crazy about modding them , get an 07 5.9 though as there still is a bit of delay in programmer availability. But if you want to be on the leading edge , and like the fact that there is no diesel odor at all when running, go with the 08. How many 8500lb + vehicles can run 12.5 sec in the quarter(potentially) , tow 5-8 ton, run to 400,000miles between overhauls, average better than 14 mpg....? Thats why I like the Cummins !(no offense to the other guys).
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM

If you have cold feet, don't buy one. I bought a Dodge because I like them and the Fords and Chevys are ugly.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Mine is great.

I would not go back to 5.9 unless the 6.7 was not an option. I have had 10 Dodge diesel's so I have a few miles of 5.9 driving. No engine problems at all in 7600 mi on this 6.7. I use my truck as a truck and it gets worked, I think some problems arise from using a diesel to go 5 blocks a day and never getting it warmed up or blown out. These engines were built to work, not put-put around.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:50 PM

I have a client who has three 6.7's for his construction business and I asked him how they have been and he is more in love with them than any of his 5.9's. Be proud when you pick it up I think the negative consensus is the minority not the majority.. my .02
Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree that we consumers are often used as lab rats or guinea pigs. I think quite often the government is to blame as much as the car manufacturers. They come up with these new regulations or specs, when the technology barely exists to let it happen. The manufacturer then has to come up with a way to meet the new criteria by a certain time, if they want to continue selling vehicles. To me, these particulate filters seem like a pretty hokey idea, but they also seem to do a pretty good job. Look inside the tailpipe on a DPF equipped truck, and it'll be shiny and clean inside, just like the outside. And it'll hopefully continue to improve over the years, just like everything else on a vehicle has.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Its true you will read more about the negatives then the positives. My concern is that we are all using more fuel ]whether it be 1 or 10 mpg] then previous engines and that is a non renewable resource.
Longevity should be similar but the egr and pcv seem to be pushing a lot back through the engine...and then theres the regens and fuel content in the crankcase.

A learning curve I guess. I do prefer my 6.7 now over the 5.9 but thats because I am getting my head wrapped around its different issues.

Scotty
Old 02-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Well, I work on an 8,900 acre cattle ranch, and we have 3 Dodge Trucks. Not to included 5 older Fords. Two of them are 6.7 and one is a 5.9. They have been great trucks. They all are used all day on and off the ranch, and are towing gooseneck stock trailers, and hauling creep feeders, pallets of mineral blocks, fencing supplies, and everyday driving too town.

Over the years we have had Ford’s, and Chevrolet’s, and I would say theses Dodge’s have outshined the others!

Just my personal opinion.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Lab rats Yup...- Two years early

I am all in favor of cleaning up the air and the environment. What I do not like is the fact that we are two years away from the required federal emission standards that these 6.7 are using. So in the mean time we work out the bugs, take our time to go to the dealers, pay a premium for the treatment at the time of sale, pay for fuel used to keep the exhaust clean, pay more for the UL Fuel and loose mileage. I am not sold on the 6.7 yet, but am trying!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by realoldandcrust
I am all in favor of cleaning up the air and the environment. What I do not like is the fact that we are two years away from the required federal emission standards that these 6.7 are using. So in the mean time we work out the bugs, take our time to go to the dealers, pay a premium for the treatment at the time of sale, pay for fuel used to keep the exhaust clean, pay more for the UL Fuel and loose mileage. I am not sold on the 6.7 yet, but am trying!
And during all the time an engine is on the market that meets future emissions' requirements, the manufacture builds credits. I think its called CAFE. Someone else can chime in here on how that works as I only know that the more engines they release complying to future emissions requirements, the more credits they get...not sure what the credits are or how they earn them but it does sound like a numbers game.

Scotty

Quick Reply: Lab Rats