3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Jumpers hooked up backwards. 2008 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumpers hooked up backwards. 2008 2500

so yes. im an idiot, i hooked my cables up backwards. and yes i know not to do that. now that thats out of the way.

i replaced 3 fuses, and one fusable link. when i turn the key on, it runs through its starting procedure like normal, EXCEPT the grid heater light doesnt come on, and wont turn over. as far as i can see everything else works. radio, lights, Power ports. also the programmer (Edge Juice) tries to clear DTC, and fails. i cant retrieve codes either.

other than in the main fuse panel are there any fuses that i can check? is this symptomatic of the PCM? anyway to verify if thats what the issue is? i have followed the main battery lines, and found no melted lines or connections,
Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Apantslessman
so yes. im an idiot, i hooked my cables up backwards. and yes i know not to do that. now that thats out of the way.

i replaced 3 fuses, and one fusable link. when i turn the key on, it runs through its starting procedure like normal, EXCEPT the grid heater light doesnt come on, and wont turn over. as far as i can see everything else works. radio, lights, Power ports. also the programmer (Edge Juice) tries to clear DTC, and fails. i cant retrieve codes either.

other than in the main fuse panel are there any fuses that i can check? is this symptomatic of the PCM? anyway to verify if thats what the issue is? i have followed the main battery lines, and found no melted lines or connections,
--------------
Sir:

First off, welcome to DTR! Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. But believe me, you are not the first person here to have made that mistake on the cables!

With reversing those cables you may have damaged something in the PCM/ECM or the wiring and relays in that system. I would recommend taking it to either a Dodge Dealer or independent shop where they can hook up a DRB Scanner to your truck and see EXACTLY what may have been damaged.
It may be something simpler than damage to the PCM/ECM which can be easily changed or repaired. I have seen some of my friends do this and have minor damage, but I have also seen damage to the PCM/ECM Units.

Good luck.

---------
John_P