3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

J35 recall/flash

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J35 recall/flash

Has anyone received this recall.Saw mention on the internet,talked to a service writer who said I should have received it,and that it should be tended to quickly as it's a serious recall? He said it woujd take hours or longer to fix.Any thoughts? Truck is running great,onlly 24,950 miles,680 hrsThanks,Pat
Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM

EMISSIONS RECALL J35
REPROGRAM ECM – REGENERATION STRATEGY
Dear: (Name)
Chrysler has determined that some 2007 through 2009 model year Dodge Ram 2500/3500 trucks
equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may require reprogramming of the Engine Control Module (ECM).
The problem is... The ECM software program on your truck (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may cause
illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) when no problem exists or
under certain conditions allow heavy sooting of the turbocharger, exhaust gas
recirculation valve and diesel particulate filter. Heavy sooting could damage
emissions components and result in increased emissions.
What your dealer
will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this,
your dealer will reprogram your vehicle’s ECM. The new software will eliminate
false illumination of the MIL and reduce the potential for exhaust soot
accumulation in your engine and emissions components. The work will take
about ½ hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending
on service schedules.
What you must do... Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment.
If you need help... If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please
contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
California
residents…
The State of California requires the completion of emission recall repairs
prior to vehicle registration renewal. Your dealer will provide you with a
Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the recall service is
performed. Be sure to save this form since the California Department of Motor
Vehicles may require that you supply it as proof that the recall has been performed.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on
the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your original
receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Recall
Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement.
In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty provisions, it is recommended that you
have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be a lack of
proper maintenance of your vehicle. Further, without this repair, your vehicle may fail a state or local
emission inspection test.
We are sorry for any inconvenience but trust that you understand our interest in clean air. Thank you for
your attention to this important matter.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code J35
Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Joe

Im pretty sure I dont need it though....

Pat,

If I were you, and my truck was running fine, I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah, I think Ill be alright without it
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I got a phone message about a recall and this could be it. Until I am due and notified that I need a smog check, I'm not going in for this one... They'll probably put some new lock on my ECM or something, and I'm not returning to stock until I have to, and then that is only temporary.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM

As of right now Smarty will not load with J35 installed.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM

I had the J35 done yesterday. When I get some hours running with it, I'll let you know what I think
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by 2171CTD
As of right now Smarty will not load with J35 installed.
That is EXACTLY why I would avoid it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM

How's this work for those of us that are stock but running with the EGR unplugged? I've heard bad things of plugging it back in after a time so I'm really not wanting to do that just to have this done.

Truck has 64k and has been running fine since 36k last July when a new turbo went on. EGR has been unplugged ever since.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by kcrowe
How's this work for those of us that are stock but running with the EGR unplugged? I've heard bad things of plugging it back in after a time so I'm really not wanting to do that just to have this done.

Truck has 64k and has been running fine since 36k last July when a new turbo went on. EGR has been unplugged ever since.
Maybe Coolbreeze will unplug and let us know ?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM

J35 recall/flash

Received my recall yesterday. I took my truck in to have it performed at Brandon Dodge, a 5 star dealer. Also, had a new fuel filter put on, which was $190 (new model). I also asked them to look it over, as my 3yr warranty is up in July. They called and said that the injectors are due to be cleaned at 15,000 miles. I told them to not clean the injectors as the truck is running fine. Again, the truck has 24,490 miles. What is the recommended injector cleaning period, assuming there are no running problems? Thanks, Patrick
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
I got a phone message about a recall and this could be it. Until I am due and notified that I need a smog check, I'm not going in for this one... They'll probably put some new lock on my ECM or something, and I'm not returning to stock until I have to, and then that is only temporary.
I got my notice in the mail yesterday and I agree, my truck won't see a dealer unless/until it absolutely has to.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM

I got the letter this morning. I have the DPF Delete and EGR plunger removed.
Ironically,Yesterday I was driving and got the "SEE DEALER NOW" message on the overhead. I pulled over cycled the key to see the code, no Codes showed. I then hooked up the smarty and again no codes. So was this the phantom allert the Recall is about?
My question is, what will happen if the dealer trys to Flash and put the J35 on while I have the deletes with a smarty? Not that I will go and have the flash done and I hope the Dealer will not just do this without checking. I know with the "horn honk and reverse" Flash on my 04, they would ask every time.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you live in CALF. you will need to have the recall J35 in order to register the truck per Dodge's letter in the recall. Since I do not live in that state I am choosing not to have the recall done. I do not want to spend a half a day returning truck to stock and then change back with another half day doing so.
On the recall notice there is a item that states the vehicle has been checked and is OK. I marked that box and sent back to Dodge. They did not ask for a dealer stamp or anything like that. So since the Smarty is operating the ECM, the truck is OK and this is what I marked.
Jim
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not to be paranoid... ... I think its another Dodge way to mess with the ECM and attempt to stop people from addressing issues themselves... in a Smarty [er] way.

Quick Reply: J35 recall/flash