3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installing all new AC parts- Help/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I watch wind blow...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing all new AC parts- Help/ questions

Hello,

I recently bought the truck, compressor died I think.

either way, I picked up new compressor, condensor, accumulator, oriface tube.

I also picked up PAG 46,100,150 oil. which to use and quantity?
I bought the non pressurized container of PAG so I simply divy it up between the parts that are going to be replaced before I clamp everything together?

I can assume that for the compressor it gets added on the pressure side and not suction?

I will be doing the work with my cousin who has the gauges, vaccum, nitrogen and other bits of the operation but he has not done many and I wanted to get advice so I don't put my 800$ in parts in jeopardy!

This task will be completed tomorrow ( saturday) so timely response will really help me. The Google was lost on this subject.

Thanks all God bless!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM
I watch wind blow...

I think I found that it takes 7oz. of PAG 46. anyone confirm? and method of adding?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On the old system, when replacing compressor, the new compressor came with excess oil in it, you would drain oil into a measuring container, and install the required amount of oil, if not you would over oil the system and blow the compressor (I found out the hard way ) so find instructions and follow carefully.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I'm late! I replaced mine last year and the nearest I could figure out was 6-7 oz. I flushed the coils so they started out dry. The new comp had a very small amount of oil in it so I added 6 more thru the drain hole in the side and then spun it by hand a few turns. I don't like dumping very much in the suction cuz it goes thru the valves that way and takes a long time for it to get where it needs to be - in the guts of the comp. I got ~4 oz out of my old comp but the system had some small leaks and some oil was gone from that. I also don't trust dumping out the old and adding the same amount. How do you know how much is still inside (a quite a bit hangs on to the internals) or lost from leaks. Only the comp needs oil in a fixed orifice system. Excess oil is an insulator in the coils. Craig
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
I watch wind blow...

here is what I did, since I replaced the condenser, dryer, orifice tube, and compressor. I poured denatured alcohol in the evaporator and flushed with nitrogen thru both ports. I flushed the semi hard lines that run to the compressor with the same method.

I then added ~3 oz. to the suction side of compressor (per the manual for it) and added the other 4oz. to the accumulator. installing the accumulator last to minimize time that it was open to the elements. charged with nitrogen to 200 psi to check for leaks, and then pulled vacuum for a while and then charged.

I think I am still a little low on 134 but hi side pressure was creeping up with out good air flow thru the condenser, I think I need to find a slim line pusher fan for the condenser.

I also used the PAG 46 since under the hood there is a series of numbers and 46 was contained in one of the numbers. I could not find anything definitive that said which oil to use.