3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hard starts on my 04 Ram 2500 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation hard starts on my 04 Ram 2500 5.9L

How you guys doing , hope everyone is doing good on this FRIDAY !!! I had a question for some Cummins guru's. So my truck recently went down after changing the harmonic balancer .My truck never started back again so we thought it was the fluidamper balancer an truck never ran right again . ( Ran like if it had a bad governor) . I took it to a mechanic here locally in AZ an we've been going back an forth , on this an that . Its been sitting the for about 1.5 months an he still cant figure it out . So he started saying that it was the computer not sending a signal to my cam shaft sensor ( $1700 dollars for "new computer" ) shhhhhh. Then he said he was having problems with the NEW computer taking in the VIN number so that was the delay. Well he called me today and said truck is still not starting with new computer , then he goes on to say "it has a fuel pressure problem" ( he's guessing now it can be my injectors) . So I asked these question's:

1. Why didn't he check the fuel pressure before we got a new computer ??
Answer : Well when we connected our scanner to get the info it never indicated that there was a fuel pressure problem . So that's why we believe the computer was done with so we got an new one . Now its signaling there a fuel pressure problem .
2.So are we playing a guessing game here cause I could have done that (question, A-hole comment ) ??
Answer: Well we didn't have a signal neither to the cam sensor so were assuming that the computer was not telling the injectors when to inject fuel to air mix ratio . So that's why we assumed it was the computer . So now where saying there's a injector problem cause we have tested all other components .( Injector pump , air dog fuel pump all work accordingly )
So my question to you guys , is this guy blowing smoke up the yang or what ? I'm not a technical mechanic but it doesn't seem to make sense to me the BS he's trying to feed me .

Info on my truck :
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L
105670 mileage
Air Dog fuel pump
AEM air intake
2 optima batteries
(for motor , other then that its stock)

Any help is highly appreciated or pointers or something I can counter this guy so he doesn't think he's talking to stupid written on my forehead .
Old 06-22-2018, 07:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
First, suggest that you place this post in the correct forum. Or better still delete it and add it to your original post so that the other guys on this site can see the complete history

Second, your problems all started when you threw away your old damper and tone ring, so isn't it logical to conclude that the root cause of the problem is the tone ring? Are you absolutely positive that the new tone ring you bought is a perfect match for that engine? Did you also throw away the original sensor and is the sensor for the tone ring the correct one? Maybe your problem could be as simple as too big a gap between the tone ring and the sensor?

It is suspected that your "knowledgeable" expert is not so knowledgeable after all and could be blowing smoke at your considerable expense. 1.5 months to diagnose this problem shows what sort of a mechanic he is .............. not.

Suggestion: go to a wrecker and get a tone ring and balancer off the equivalent vehicle. Then take your truck to a decent diesel mechanic and have him install the replacement tone ring and balancer. Or you do this yourself. DO NOT THROW ANY PARTS AWAY YET!!!!! Try to start it and let is know what happens.