3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hard starts and then no start Ram 3500

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard starts and then no start Ram 3500

my truck gelled this winter before I treated fuel. replaced fuel filter, added diesel 911 and fired up. then she started starting hard. always plugged in but would crank over for 20 seconds before firing. changed fuel filter again, sea foam. no change. I noticed that if I turned the key on and waited for the buzz to quit which I figured is lift pump? then it fired quicker. then today it would not fire at all. I drained the fuel filter canister. turn the key on and fuel ran out canister. closed it and no start still. it runs perfect when it does start. frustrated,,,this is m only rig now. I am knew to the area so not sure who to trust. please help.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is your truck? It sounds as if you may have an injector issue. How many miles on the truck?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 PM

2004 5.9
200k mi.
It runs great. Figured it would run rough or miss if injector was bad.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Did you bump the key and let the pump fill the canister up before cranking the engine? If not you might have it air locked... Either way I would still suspect the lift pump and replace before getting into any other part swaps. There is a flow test you can do with the pump, I don't know it but I am sure someone on here will chime up...

Is your truck a 305/555 or a 325/600 motor?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM

yes I let the canister fill first. but still no start.
325 motor
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 AM

have you checked the dash to see if there are any fault codes? What area do you live in? Maybe a member close by can plug in his tuner and see if there are any codes...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Yes i did only code os P500 which is Abs module. I purchased one and going to install.
Trucks in Newburgh NY. Been asking around for a good Cummins mech but guess they are few in this area
Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM

This thread is kinda old but have you tried to start it with starting fluid? It can be risky with the grid heaters, so use caution. We run these trucks in an underground coal mine and go through a ridiculous number of injectors due to fuel contamination. Most times a shot of starting fluid gets them going even if they have several bad injectors. Just make sure you leave the key on the run position go squirt the starting fluid in the intake then go back and crank it without turning it off. This will in no way fix it but it might help you get the truck somewhere to be looked at. Diesel 911 is helpful when you need it but can be pretty hard of the common rail systems due to the alcohol that is in it.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:14 PM

thank you CG98X for your reply and no I did not try starter fluid. after some of the horror stories from some post I figured no way but I will take your word for it and try.
I took the fuel filter out, cleaned canister, turn the key and canister filled up with fuel fast.
closed it up and no start. opened top nut on fuel rail, turn over till air cleared and it started.
few days later hard start again and then no start. cracked nut on fuel rail again but still no start. this is where I am for now.
a buddy told me it may be the fuel heater?
another buddy said that some injectors may have got plugged when it gelled.
I am lost and appreciate your help.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM

If you plan on using starting fluid you might want to disconnect the power cable that runs to the heater grid just for safety sake... unless it's freezing cold where you are, you should not need a grid heater to start that truck... Some guys have removed their heaters and able to start trucks in 30+ degree weather without them... I wonder if your having some kind of issue with your CP3 pump, or maybe a failed pressure relief valve that will not allow pressure to build at the injectors...

You might look at how guys where plugging off their pressure relief valves, its not recommended to keep it that way, but it might be a way to verify that your not leaking past it..
Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Still hard start

Hi everyone. My truck is still hard starting. Had not started it for a month and went to try it couple weeks ago and it started after 20 seconds of cranking. Almost ready to stop cranking and then you can here it starting to fire and then bam it starts.
My gut tells me its a pressure issue since it seems to crank as if it's building pressure or pushing fuel to the injectors before it starts. So what Asher said about a pressure relief valve makes sense.
Can someone tell me where the pressure relief is?
Or any other suggestions. I really need to get this truck on the road.
Thank you all for chiming in.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The PRV is on the rail and has a return line on it that goes back to the tank. That is one possibility.

It could be CP3 related as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:30 PM

Thanks soulezoo.
I found it and ordered a after market replacement. (Prv)
Also found the cp3 and took the part out and cleaned it real good. Still hard start.
I just think since i never had a problem until it jelled last winter that it is connected and that something is plugged or dirty after i put in the diesel 911 and when I took out the filter it was all jelled and dirty.
Any thoughts?
I am going to install the new prv when it gets here and see if it helps.
Thanks for all your suggestions
Old 06-16-2015, 09:17 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get to a mechanic that has a scanner. Then you'll know whether it is a pressure issue or not. If not, then the jelled diesel has plugged orifices within the system and you can start to address that.

I would want to know what it is exactly before I start throwing (expensive) parts at it.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Soulezoo
I agree. I do not have money to burn.
When you say scanner are we talking computer they plug in? That will read your fuel pressure?
I will look for a good cummins mech. I drove this truck out from Calif last summer and had hard time finding a mech out here.
I now live in Fishkill NY if anyone out there can stear me in the right direction

Quick Reply: hard starts and then no start Ram 3500