3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Goerend trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend trans issue

My 03 has a trans with Goerend parts in it, I am not exactly sure just what is and is not upgraded, but as far as I know everything but the intermediate shaft is upgraded/billet. I bought it off my buddy and I remember him spending almost 5k on it.
It is just over a year old and the truck has never seen much more than maybe 400 rwhp. I just have a BD/TST stack, turbo is still stock but I've been wanting to put my SB on. Anyway the trans started acting up about two weeks ago, seemed it just was staying in 2nd for much longer instead of shifting. About a week ago it just suddenly seemed like the converter was slipping like mad as it would just rev when I tried even moderately accelerating in OD. I also noticed it did not seem to be downshifting to 1st upon slowing/stopping, and was doing a lot more gear hunting. It was really sluggish to get going, revving but moving like I was trying to pull a gigantic trailer. I manually downshifted into 1st from then on and it got better, but was still rather unresponsive.
It has sat all week since and I have been busy but decided to drive it today hoping it was just some glitch in programming or something but no luck. It was better, but still slipping in OD, slipping when I get on it even moderately and hunting gears.
Can some light be shed onto what this might be?? I just can't grip the issue of it being the converter, I mean it's a goerends and this truck has never been on the track or hooked to a sled with this trans in it. It's been run hard at times, but nothing that this trans shouldn't have handled IMO.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Call Dave. He'll know what it is immediately
Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Anyone have a number for him? It was not actually built by him, it was built by a guy named Ron who lives up in Elwood, Indiana. I can't remember what his last name was.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

http://www.goerend.com/ phone number is in the top right corner.............^
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM

Sounds like Gov Pressure solenoid, I'll call Dave right now see what he says
Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 PM

I left a message, he'll get back soon. I'm almost positive that its the Governor Pressor Solenoid. It will kick out in O/D and in 3rd. It can also stick in the middle and take off in 2nd. You probably got some stuff in the little spool valve and thats why its doing this. This is why its a good idea to change the fluid every 15-20K
Old 05-24-2008, 09:41 PM

Dave says change the gov pres solenoid. If that doesn't work then put a pres. gauge on it or a scan tool.
The thing upsets me though, some guy in Indy builds a trans, says it the best thing since sliced bread, it goes from one person to another, and then Goerend's name gets tossed around and its not even his. Kinda BS i think, just my $0.02 worth i guess.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Reb thank you very much, I appreciate you going out of your way like that! I was busy all day yesterday with my Mom's second wedding and other stuff and had little time to get back to this. Thanks!
I'm relatively new to the auto world and am still learning. My last truck was a 5 speed. The guy I bought it from is a pretty close friend, and he told me it had new fluid in it when the trans was built. That was about March of 07, and with as much driving as he and I both did on our rigs I would guess he is close to 15k miles. btw - the trans has been outstanding IMO.

Is there a better fluid to put in it, like Amsoil or something?
Is the governor pressure solenoid something I need to get from Dave or can I get it at an auto parts store?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:21 AM

adam I run the atf+4 in mine I dont mess with the other stuff. when you drain all of it out and then put it all back in you will be shocked how much it cost to fill it back up. my buddies 01 had a similar problem and he had to fix the same part
Old 05-25-2008, 11:23 AM

well i had a similar issue and dave sent us a new convertor he thought that is what it was so phil changed it and before he was finsihed ( after new convertor was in and tranny up) he checked the valve body opps broken spring.