3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Change

Can someone get me the link for instructions on how to change fuel filter??
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Open the hood and find the fuel filter housing on the firewall driver side. There is a hose that goes under your truck. Get something to catch the fuel from that hose. Open the yellow lever and it will drain the fuel out of said hose.

Open the top of the canister (can be difficult to turn sometimes) and pull out the old filter. Make sure you remove the old oring from the lid too. It may stay on the canister and not come up with the lid but its there.

Clean out the canister with a lint free cloth. put new filter in, slip on new oring, after wiping it down with a little fuel. Screw on cap and close the yellow lever. Turn your truck to the on posistion and let the pump fill the canister. Do that 2 or 3 times and start her up. Let it run for a few mins and check for fuel leaks.

Hopefully I didnt skip anything. Its very straight forward!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Fuel Filter Replacement: a. Remove left front tire/wheel.
b. Remove left front wheel splash shield.
c. Clean all debris from around filter canister (1) and canister head.
d. Disconnect WIF sensor electrical connector (5).
e. Open drain valve (3) two complete revolutions. Drain approximately 1 cup of fuel into a waste canister. Dispose of fuel according to environmental regulations.
f. Remove drain hose (4) from drain valve (3).
g. Use an oil filter type wrench to loosen filter (1). Continue removing filter by hand.

Fuel Filter: CAUTION: Do not pre-fill the fuel filter with fuel. Severe damage to fuel system and injection system components may result. a. The engine has a self-priming low-pressure fuel system. Refer to Standard Procedures-Fuel System Priming.
b. Lubricate new fuel filter O-ring with clean engine oil.
c. Position new fuel filter/canister assembly (1) to housing.

NOTE: After installing new filter it will need to be primed first before starting engine will be possible
TO prime just pump starter leave key on for 1 minute. Turn key off, bump starter once again leave on for 1 minute. Filter is primed and ready to start engine normally. You donot need to crank over engine to prime fuel filter, save your starter motor and battery's.
Chrysler has a new updated fuel filter. After updating to new filter w/housing you can just replace the filter cartridge which is a lot less money.

d. Rotate fuel filter/canister assembly (1) until it comes to a hard stop.
e. Tighten the filter element an additional half-inch of rotation.
f. Connect WIF sensor electrical connector and ensure connector locking tab is seated on the WIF sensor body (5).
g. Attach drain hose (4) to drain valve (3).
h. Install left front tire/wheel.
i. Install left front wheel splash shield.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Cummins Guru

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
Open the hood and find the fuel filter housing on the firewall driver side. There is a hose that goes under your truck. Get something to catch the fuel from that hose. Open the yellow lever and it will drain the fuel out of said hose.

Open the top of the canister (can be difficult to turn sometimes) and pull out the old filter. Make sure you remove the old oring from the lid too. It may stay on the canister and not come up with the lid but its there.

Clean out the canister with a lint free cloth. put new filter in, slip on new oring, after wiping it down with a little fuel. Screw on cap and close the yellow lever. Turn your truck to the on posistion and let the pump fill the canister. Do that 2 or 3 times and start her up. Let it run for a few mins and check for fuel leaks.

Hopefully I didnt skip anything. Its very straight forward!
You would be correct if he had a 5.9 diesel, he has a 6.7 diesel. I hope we didn't confuse you on this one.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found there was no need to remove the wheel and/or liner. The filter went in easily through the space in the liner (you can clearly see the filter through that space). Just tighten hand tight and finish up with a socket wrench with long 1/2" extension from the bottom of the truck. Not hard at all...

EDIT: I'm talking about the NEWER style filter with replaceable element, the one with the 1/2" square hole at the bottom. However, you should be able to feed the older style filter through the wheel well as I described above since the girth is about the same. Of course, you will need a strap wrench for that filter.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mr. ed
I found there was no need to remove the wheel and/or liner. The filter went in easily through the space in the liner (you can clearly see the filter through that space). Just tighten hand tight and finish up with a socket wrench with long 1/2" extension from the bottom of the truck. Not hard at all...

EDIT: I'm talking about the NEWER style filter with replaceable element, the one with the 1/2" square hole at the bottom. However, you should be able to feed the older style filter through the wheel well as I described above since the girth is about the same. Of course, you will need a strap wrench for that filter.
What is they best way to move the WIF connector??? Its very snug does anyone have a upclose pic to show exactly how to disconnect?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BanditoRam3500
What is they best way to move the WIF connector??? Its very snug does anyone have a upclose pic to show exactly how to disconnect?
I don't have a picture but it isn't hard to remove the plug. You have to feel around the sides of the plug. You'll eventually locate a clip (or latch) that you can push in, which will allow you to pull the plug out. After the first time you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Cummins Guru

You need to squeeze the release lock and pull down at the same time. Usually comes off easily. I always keep a can of WD40 handy, put a little diesel fuel or wd40 on the o-ring before installing new filter. Then plug the WIF sensor into position. Will only go on one way so look at release and filter first to see which way. Maybe a little white paint here might help you align it properly when working under truck since connector is black. I always keep a bottle of white touch up paint handy just in case I need to mark something like a TDC mark when doing a valve adjust. I always remove the inner wheel well since I have truck on a lift with tires off and it only take minute to do. Another trick to avoid diesel fuel all over you and the floor is to connect a 24 inch long hose to the filter drain. Loosen the filter and then open the filter drain. Let it drain for a few minutes into a bucket or container that way you can dispose of it properly and you will not make a mess in your garage.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
You need to squeeze the release lock and pull down at the same time. Usually comes off easily. I always keep a can of WD40 handy, put a little diesel fuel or wd40 on the o-ring before installing new filter. Then plug the WIF sensor into position. Will only go on one way so look at release and filter first to see which way. Maybe a little white paint here might help you align it properly when working under truck since connector is black. I always keep a bottle of white touch up paint handy just in case I need to mark something like a TDC mark when doing a valve adjust. I always remove the inner wheel well since I have truck on a lift with tires off and it only take minute to do. Another trick to avoid diesel fuel all over you and the floor is to connect a 24 inch long hose to the filter drain. Loosen the filter and then open the filter drain. Let it drain for a few minutes into a bucket or container that way you can dispose of it properly and you will not make a mess in your garage.
X2 but I do not remove the inner fender or the wheel.