3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel additives for the 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GMScott
I think that was me!! I was using PS every fillup - approx. 130 gals. just like I had used it in my 04.5. My 6.7L was one of the earlier ones, before all the flashes, and I started having clogged EGR issues @ about 30k miles. I quit using additives and only used PS anti-gel a couple times during this winter when I was in some really cold weather and worried about gelling. Since quitting the additives I have not experienced any EGR issues at all. I'm still concerned about lubricity and the long term effects of ULSD which may or may not have the lubricity additives added by the fuel distributers. I've bought some pretty lousey ULSD fuel which has caused my truck to perform poorly and sometimes even a little more loudly. At those times I was really fighting the temptation to use additives but did not want to cause any more EGR problems - Dodge would charge me $80.00 each time I had to clean the EGR with their special EGR cleaning soap. So far I've got 126k miles on the clock, mostly highway & towing, and all is well. No sense spending more money for the fuel tank at today's prices of $4.00+/gal.
Thanks for the reply. I agree, I'm going to continue running without additives. Don't want any EGR etc. issues.