3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ford’s Torqshift VS Aisin / 68RFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford’s Torqshift VS Aisin / 68RFE

Has anybody heard if these new transmissions are going to have a tow / haul mode like the Torqshift? I think that’s one of the best options I seen in a long time. When pulling heavy loads it works almost as good a manual for holding back.
I went up to my buddy’s place yesterday to pickup his 2000 3/4-ton Dodge to take it into the shop. Injector pump went out . He is really thinking about upgrading to the new 2007 3500 as I’ am , so he was asking this question, because he really likes the tow / haul mode in my F-550.
Attached Thumbnails -ford-1_small.jpg   -dodge-2_small.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 PM

Don't know how the new 6 speed in the dodges is gonna be. I hope it's good. The torqshift is a really nice tranny that can hold a lot of power when you mod your engine. And the tow haul mode is super nice.

I can't wait to test drive a new dodge.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Torqueshitft tranny that I had on my 04 f350 fx4 was garbage....the main planetary had aluminum pins that protruded and sheared off. The entire tranny and all cooling lines connected to it and the coolers were replaced twice in 30k and that truck was bone stock and towed nothing other than a uhaul once. ks.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:56 PM

I assume it will have a tow/haul mode but that's not what holds back the load. What does it is an exhaust brake, and the new 6.7L Cummins will have one as std. equipment. Like the Ford, it will be built into the turbo, but the Cummins brake is a better design and should prove much more durable.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Torqueshitft tranny that I had on my 04 f350 fx4 was garbage....the main planetary had aluminum pins that protruded and sheared off. The entire tranny and all cooling lines connected to it and the coolers were replaced twice in 30k and that truck was bone stock and towed nothing other than a uhaul once. ks.
I remember reading stories like yours!
I think that was the first recall my truck went in for. I remember the service manager at the local dealer through a fit over the size of my truck! Their lift could not handle the weight, had to do it old school! Floor jacks, and creeper.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Pile Buck If you are asking about the Aisin transmission, it does have a tow/ haul mode. It also has an overdrive lockout. If you are asking about the new mopar transmission, the 68 rfe, I don't know.

ptgarcia The exhaust brake is not standard equiptment, you have to pay for the controls and electronics to make it work. Yes, everything is there but it is an option. Also the transmission will hold you back pretty good if you are in the tow/haul mode.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by eb290
Pile Buck If you are asking about the Aisin transmission, it does have a tow/ haul mode. It also has an overdrive lockout. If you are asking about the new mopar transmission, the 68 rfe, I don't know.

ptgarcia The exhaust brake is not standard equiptment, you have to pay for the controls and electronics to make it work. Yes, everything is there but it is an option. Also the transmission will hold you back pretty good if you are in the tow/haul mode.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I understand the auto tranny will hold you back a bit, but its not fair to compare it to the Ford tranny without understanding that the Ford has a variable vane turbo that is doing the majority of the work.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Has anybody heard if these new transmissions are going to have a tow / haul mode like the Torqshift? I think that’s one of the best options I seen in a long time. When pulling heavy loads it works almost as good a manual for holding back.
I went up to my buddy’s place yesterday to pickup his 2000 3/4-ton Dodge to take it into the shop. Injector pump went out . He is really thinking about upgrading to the new 2007 3500 as I’ am , so he was asking this question, because he really likes the tow / haul mode in my F-550.
Don't you know it is illegal to post a picture of a Ford towing a Dodge on this website..... j/k
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by eb290

The exhaust brake is not standard equiptment, you have to pay for the controls and electronics to make it work. Yes, everything is there but it is an option. Also the transmission will hold you back pretty good if you are in the tow/haul mode.
EB290, they have made the exhaust brake standard on all 6.7's. When you ordered yours that was not the case, but about 20 or so days ago they decided they would make it standard.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
EB290, they have made the exhaust brake standard on all 6.7's. When you ordered yours that was not the case, but about 20 or so days ago they decided they would make it standard.
Gosh Luke - I'm SURE eb290 is happy to get that kind of information :-)
Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 AM

I should rephrase that. They made it standard, but raised the option price on the Cummins engine to cover it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:25 PM

I should rephrase that. They made it standard, but raised the option price on the Cummins engine to cover it.
If they raised the price more than the $300 I paid for the exhaust brake I won't feel to bad.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 AM

the exhaust brake in operation w/ the tow/haul on the aisin is pretty edited by admin lots of retarding power. the trans alone does a pretty good down shift keeping the T/C on. all around good trans, it should hold up just fine!

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-20-2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by isbeinside
the exhaust brake in operation w/ the tow/haul on the aisin is pretty lots of retarding power. the trans alone does a pretty good down shift keeping the T/C on. all around good trans, it should hold up just fine!

I agree. Actually, the exhaust brake works better with the Aisin than with the G56. I have drivin four or five of each, and the Aisin is hard to beat. You better be ready to slow down with the Aisin in tow/haul and the E-brake on, when you let off that throttle, it drops anchor.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:55 PM

I agree. Actually, the exhaust brake works better with the Aisin than with the G56. I have drivin four or five of each, and the Aisin is hard to beat. You better be ready to slow down with the Aisin in tow/haul and the E-brake on, when you let off that throttle, it drops anchor.
Sounds exciting. Can't wait to yest drive one!

Quick Reply: Ford’s Torqshift VS Aisin / 68RFE