3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhaust Brake Switch MIA, can I program one in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grush
Sorry for the delay,

The dealer I called is in (Salem, Oregon, on Commercial st.) I'm in Tucson for a class or I'd look it up for you in the phone book. Didn't seem to be a problem for these guys, they do have C&C trucks for sale on there lot, so I guess they work on them in their service department.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm going to give them a call. My dealer is pretty small and dont even carry C&C's.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tobin
Couldn't you just look to see if you have a VGT first?

Tobin
I'm assuming that I did have one...How can I tell if I do or dont? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I'm still a 6.7 virgin haha
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
I'm assuming that I did have one...How can I tell if I do or dont? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I'm still a 6.7 virgin haha
Your truck is just missing the switch and will need eb enabled. early c/c trucks did not come with exhaust brake switches as it was an option on early trucks. I believe this also applies to regular trucks with early builds when 6.7 came out. I believe there is a post on here from someone who bought the switch and installed it then took to dealer to have it enabled, with instructions. also think there was a dealer bulliten regarding this. Lots of exhaust brake posts but do a search on here and im sure you'll find it.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Well my dealer finally found the right part (part #: 82211189) and I just finished installing it. Wasn't too bad, just alot of dash removal and what not. The instructions that came with the kit were pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Just have to take it back to the dealer and have them enable it, like mentioned before. Thanks guys
Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Well after a few different trips to the dealer, I still dont have an active exhaust brake. The instructions that came with the kit show a different wiring harness under the hood than what my truck currently has. After several hours of waiting for my dealer to hear back from Dodge techs (some hotline they call), I was told that my ecm wont recognize it since it is a manual tranny. The instructions show the install on an auto tranny.

Is my dealer just full of crap? There has to be someway to hook this thing up, right? Anyone out there with an early 6.7 c&c that has the same situation as me?

PS- I tried calling that dealer up in OR and gettting some info from them, but they told me they have not seen or heard of anything like my situation. Anyone know who I can try calling next, such as a big Fleet/Commercial dealership or a local dealer who has done this before?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Just depends on which guy you talk to I guess. I talked to one of the parts guys and he called me back after determining what I needed and talking with the shop.

Originally Posted by dodgediesel4x4
Well after a few different trips to the dealer, I still dont have an active exhaust brake. The instructions that came with the kit show a different wiring harness under the hood than what my truck currently has. After several hours of waiting for my dealer to hear back from Dodge techs (some hotline they call), I was told that my ecm wont recognize it since it is a manual tranny. The instructions show the install on an auto tranny.

Is my dealer just full of crap? There has to be someway to hook this thing up, right? Anyone out there with an early 6.7 c&c that has the same situation as me?

PS- I tried calling that dealer up in OR and gettting some info from them, but they told me they have not seen or heard of anything like my situation. Anyone know who I can try calling next, such as a big Fleet/Commercial dealership or a local dealer who has done this before?
Old 10-05-2022, 06:11 AM

I am purchasing a 2007 c&c

So I am purchasing a used 2007 3500 was wondering if the exhaust brake will work or do I have to go to dealer to activate it
Old 10-05-2022, 10:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sheepfarmer
So I am purchasing a used 2007 3500 was wondering if the exhaust brake will work or do I have to go to dealer to activate it
You should be able to turn the feature on with AlfaOBD. Sourcing the switch and wiring kit will be the hard part.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey-KE7LBB
You should be able to turn the feature on with AlfaOBD. Sourcing the switch and wiring kit will be the hard part.

do I need a switch to activate the exhaust brake I read somewhere early c &c can run with them always on no switch
Old 10-08-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by sheepfarmer
do I need a switch to activate the exhaust brake I read somewhere early c &c can run with them always on no switch
I don't know if this will help, but my 2009 has the factory switch on the dash...I turned it on when I bought the truck, and haven't switched it off since...Works like a champ......Ben