3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Both 08 6.7's DOA

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well......my truck died again. had to have a roll back take it back to the dealership yesterday. both of our trucks are there now. shut the truck
off at a mini mart, went to start it and all it would do is crank.

it gets better. the QC is ahead of mine to be repaired and they doubt
it will be done this week. the tech goes on vacation for a week at the end
of this week. one good thing is the dealer/Chrysler rented us a couple of QC gas pickups for the duration.

i called Chrysler about the QC. told them to swap or buy it back. they are supposed to call me today or tomorrow.

i then called the company handling my buy back/exchange and asked them if
it was possible to financially settle my case so i could purchase a truck from another brand. they said no problem. they offered me all of my payments back plus my deposit, minus $1000 for usage.

for as miserable as this has been Chrysler customer service has been pretty good to deal with. so far they have had to cover the cost of 7 roll back pickups, and i'm guessing 5 weeks of truck rental.

so in the end even if i stay with Dodge i won't replace it with a Diesel. the hemi is supposed to have a higher output engine for 09. I'm not sure if it will be available for the older body style trucks. anybody have any news/info on this i would appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Dang. I'd be thinking of another make truck as well. I'm really glad I bought an 06 5.9 now!

Your dealer sounds like he has no clue. I had some minor problems with mine- first the dreaded death wobble, and then an issue with the preheater pulling too much juice (which I've now found is common). Also it took the dealer 6 months to transfer title and for me to get the paperwork. The service dept put grease spots on my seats and scratches on my dash! (they had temp employees in while the main guy was on vacation. They were appalled when I took the truck in and showed them)

But let me contrast the way my dealer treated me: Every time I took the truck in I was given a rental that they had delivered to me at the dealership. The last two times I took it in, after dealing with the BIG manager, the rental was a 2500 Hemi 4x4- they don't rent diesels or it would have been a diesel. Basically I told them if I was taking a truck in I wanted to be driving a truck while they fixed it! Each time I picked my truck up it was washed and the tank full. The last time they had it detailed inside and out as well. AND they paid the registration through next year as an apology for their errors.

DON'T let them sell you short! Be PUSHY! ASK for everything you think you deserve. I would not let them deduct $1000 - in fact I'd be asking for EXTRA money for all the time you spent without your truck, time you spent taking it in and picking it up, and for all the money back you spent on rentals originally. (which should have been automatically covered by your Dodge dealer!). AND I would absolutely make them do the same deal on your QC as on your Mega! Dodge will work to keep your business- but you will have to demand what it's worth to you. The subs will certainly try to get off easily if they think they can. And no doubt Dodge is going to be having some serious conversations with the dealer!

Then I'd find another dealer and buy the same trucks! The Duramax seems to be a good engine but it can't compare to the Cummins. Now the Allison tranny is the best and I sure wish Dodge could get their hands on a contract with them! It sounds like more a dealer issue than a Dodge issue. If there were really and truly huge issues with both these models this board would be full of posts about them. I do see pretty regular comments on how to keep the 6.7 in top form but nothing compared to what you have gone through!

Good luck! I sure as heck hope your next two trucks are trouble free for a loooong time!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 PM

I think it is unreasonable for Dodge Dealers to say crap like "you aren't working the truck hard enough".

Mine is in the process of having the turbo replaced. Dealer says there is a 3 step program now before they are allowed to replace the trubo. BTW, I have just turned 5,000 miles on mine. They said they do a cleaning of the sensors, etc. Next time replace some of the sensors and gaskets, clean the turbo. Next time replace the turbo.

Service rep gave me my truck back after step one and said that I can fully expect the CEL to come on again. Said don't worry about it, we already have the parts for step two on order for your truck and will perform this as soon as they arrive.

Of course, it was quick to point out that of about the 140 hours of drive time, 40 are at idle according to the computer. I never let the truck idle. I don't even do drive thrus, sit in parking lots, etc. When I get to where I'm going, I shut it down. Of course, idle time includes anytime you coast to a stop, stops at red lights, etc.

They can't seriously expect the consumer to change driving habits. Most people can't afford to have a truck this expensive exclusively for the use of heavy towing or loads. And, you can only go as fast as the car in front of you.

But, my situation is nothing like yours, and I hope it never is.

ben
Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM

well another update.

after numerous attempts i finally got to speak to the Chrysler field rep today. i let him know of my displeasure with how they are handling the QC. the QC is still out of commission sitting at the dealer. told him i wanted our money back. he asked for one more chance to repair it. i said absolutely not. he said he had to speak with his boss.

with regards to the Mega Cab. it seems he told my dealer to send the Mega Cab to another dealer to be repaired. they put it on a flatbed this morning after i had asked my dealer last night not to send it out to be repaired until i removed my belongings from the truck. i just got back from Scranton Dodge
where i emptied my truck out. my truck is still looks brand new. this has been a strange and frustrating experience.

to replace my truck i ordered a Tundra Crew Max. i should have it in a couple of days. I'm disgusted to go with Toyota but i need a large cab.

so I'm half of the way there. i am supposed to receive an answer on the QC by tomorrow afternoon. i am hoping they are reasonable and buy the truck back.

when i have more info i will pass it on.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tundra is not a bad ride. My uncle has one and 4-wheels the heck out of it (Bobcat Field Tech). They get pretty good mileage if you keep the speed down. Have you though of getting a used 5.9l?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Buddy,

I hope you finally get a Truck that you deserve. I would have already blown my top....!! My Tacoma is a great ride, but Mileage stinks. I know of a couple people that have the MaxCab Tundra and mileage unloaded on all Highway is best at 16.5. That is around 65mph to. Dont worry about towing. The new Iforce V8 is a Monster in that reguard. You will now have a truck that if you can hold onto it until after the gas wars go down you will be able to get something back out of it. I saw all of these issues coming up for Dodge with the new 6.7l. I knew that when I had 2 late model 5.9l's that had problems with tranny's, fuel, suspension, and interior issues there was a long Black hole at the end of the tunnel. Saying that, I would buy another 2001-02 2500 long bed, quad cab, 4X4, with the 6spd to tow my boat if I could right now. Mt last 01 was by far the best truck that I have and will probably ever own. Just enough power, and mileage was close to 20 with the 3.55 rear end. Good Luck with the remainder of your hassels! JB
Old 07-12-2008, 06:42 AM

well another update.

i talked with the Chrysler rep yesterday in regards to the QC. this is the same QC that is still sitting at the dealer BROKEN without a tech or the parts to fix it. well the rep said they feel the truck (that has been sitting broken for almost 3 weeks) is repairable and that they are not considering a buy back at this time. this truck ,towed 5 times and out of service at least a month and they don't want to buy it back. this is nuts. i guess this is where it will get tougher and ugly. i made it clear that in the end Chrysler will buy it back. in defense of the rep. he is young. mid 20's, first year on the job. our conversations have been cordial but in the end i am really disappointed with their perspective or lack there of in regards to the garbage they sold me. yep...i said it. garbage. sorry guys i can't help it. it is what it is.
i hope for everyone else that these problems stay contained to as few trucks as possible.

as for the Tundra. it is supposed to be at the dealer today. i can't imagine having more problems with it than these 6.7's. at this point all i want is MY vehicle to get me back and forth to work. i never thought my expectations would have to be so low in regards to a pick up truck.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought I remembered reading that the Tundras were having a certain problem, but now I can't remember what it was.

Minor, I'm sure, compared to the near-hell that you've been through with the 6.7L trucks
Old 07-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by MegaCabinPA
well......my truck died again. had to have a roll back take it back to the dealership yesterday. both of our trucks are there now. shut the truck
off at a mini mart, went to start it and all it would do is crank.

it gets better. the QC is ahead of mine to be repaired and they doubt
it will be done this week. the tech goes on vacation for a week at the end
of this week. one good thing is the dealer/Chrysler rented us a couple of QC gas pickups for the duration.

i called Chrysler about the QC. told them to swap or buy it back. they are supposed to call me today or tomorrow.

i then called the company handling my buy back/exchange and asked them if
it was possible to financially settle my case so i could purchase a truck from another brand. they said no problem. they offered me all of my payments back plus my deposit, minus $1000 for usage.

for as miserable as this has been Chrysler customer service has been pretty good to deal with. so far they have had to cover the cost of 7 roll back pickups, and i'm guessing 5 weeks of truck rental.

so in the end even if i stay with Dodge i won't replace it with a Diesel. the hemi is supposed to have a higher output engine for 09. I'm not sure if it will be available for the older body style trucks. anybody have any news/info on this i would appreciate it.
Before you get another truck,have some-one shoot that buzzard that is hovering over your head.and I sure would not want to be near you in a lighting storm,because ,no doubt you would get struck.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by hammajamma
Before you get another truck,have some-one shoot that buzzard that is hovering over your head.and I sure would not want to be near you in a lighting storm,because ,no doubt you would get struck.

definitely not my time to be gambling in Vegas or running with scissors!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM

Please post your impressions of the Tundra when you get it. They seem like nice trucks.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM

The Tundra should be a great truck. Even though it is a 1/2-Ton, it's Towing and Payload numbers can come pretty close to the 3/4-Tons of other manufacturers.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 AM

There were some problems with the TQ-Convertors in there new Auto going out. There was also a issue with Cam-Shafts breaking. They have resolved all of these..... jb
Old 07-13-2008, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen to that, MtnDodge. I explicitly instructed my dealer last year to find me a non-'07.5 5.9L so I didn't have to mess with the new motor. So glad I did. And, I have room under the hood to put my own goodies that is lost in the engine compartment of the 6.7L
Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 AM

guys thanks for the positive comments and well wishes. this really is a great
web site.

the Tundra arrived late Friday. i went up to see it yesterday. everything looks good. i am hoping to pick it up tomorrow. i'll post some initial thoughts and pics by the end of the week.

Quick Reply: Both 08 6.7's DOA