3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Both 08 6.7's DOA

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the good news.

well i stopped by the dealer and ordered my new truck. I'm not sure if it is ordered or waiting to be ordered because it will be an 09. dealer told me that the 09's will have remote start. first for a diesel. ....and yes....i am a masochist!!! i ordered another 6.7. I'm hoping that Chrysler is making running changes to improve the problems that my truck has been plagued with. hope being the key word!

the bad news.

my truck is leaking oil. i noticed quite a few drops on my garage floor. so it
will be back to service next week. the quad cab was just repaired for a leaking valve cover gasket.

as for the quad cab. i had mistakenly thought that the reference number Chrysler gave me was for both trucks. i started a specific claim yesterday for the quad cab. hopefully....there's that word "hope" again! Chrysler will replace this truck as well.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 AM

Wow! This is unbelieveable. I like my 08 Mega so much that I think I might cry if this happened to me....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM

hey guys,

took my truck back in for the oil leak. it seems my truck is leaking from the valve cover gasket like the quad cab. from what the SA said Chrysler tells them not to replace it when they remove it to change fuel injectors. all i could say it ***!!! what a waste of my time and Chryslers money. truly *** backwards. the gasket is on order so hopefully it will be replaced by the end of the week.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM

I don't think Chrysler is the one to blame. They signed the contact with Cummins before they started building junk engines.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by HO Cummins
I don't think Chrysler is the one to blame. They signed the contact with Cummins before they started building junk engines.
Are you calling the Cummins 6.7L junk?!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 PM

well....Dodge and Cummins are the gift that
keeps on giving!

the quad cab is back in the shop having the emissions/exhaust replaced. one of the coolers is also being replaced. the truck was puking black smoke like a garbage incinerator. maybe it was sending smoke signals back to Detroit! can it get any better

i called Chrysler customer service to push them to replace this truck as well.
guys...i am completely at a loss. i love the power my truck has but I've been wondering if the 6.7 engine is destined to be a problem of historic proportions in the automotive world. so many good things about this truck but also so many bad.

will it get better with time? that is the $64000 question!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Happy I kept my 5.9! I hope the 09's are less problematic.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:50 AM

Its far from historic proportions.The Ford 6.0 was in that category as well as many others in past decades.Some finally got totally bought back and sent to the crusher.The entire model line.Not just some of them.There are others that about put the entire company under due to so many issues.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Its far from historic proportions.The Ford 6.0 was in that category
I disagree. I think the 6.7's issues are and will continue to be every bit as serious as the Powerstroke 6.0. Just need to wait until some of these owners start racking up more miles. Not the hot shotters out there with high miles; the normal Joes that put 15K a year on their trucks with occasional towing opportunities. We'll see if they have to deal with constant EGR system problems which I think they will. Not to speak of the new turbo back exhaust/dpf systems the Powerstrokes never even had to deal with (which are out of warranty at 50K miles in most states).

Seriously, it's a perfect storm and unless something radical changes I would bet the number of buybacks, trucks lemon lawed and the number of warranty claims will surpass the 6.0 Powerstroke for the same time frame. All you have to do is to compare forums - GM, Ford and Dodge. Yes, they're all having some problems - I'm not here to say the others are great, but when I compared the problems per post, they were much more serious in nature for the Dodge than the others.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 PM

I read the 6.0 forums pretty often back then.These DPF and emissions issues in no way compare with the 6.0 issues.Far from it.Kinda like comparing a flu season to the Bubonic plague.Only a small/moderate amount of the 07.5 6.7s are having repeated driveabilty issues.With the 6.0 it was the other way around for the first three years and not just driveabilty,then not much better until the 6.4 came out.Big difference.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we have about 14k on our 07 with the 6.7 and it had been in the shop a few times here and there and had the turbo replaced dad made them put a 08 turbo and this thing has been flawless since. You have too remember what the core of this sight is most of the trucks with problems come here for help so it makes it seem like every truck has a problem. Dad plans too trade his up with a 09 or a 10 just because
Old 06-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Big difference.
Time will tell. And since I have a vested interest I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayseed
Not wanting to jinx myself but in over 9000 miles not one CEL for engine malfunction!!!! I don't idle for long and when I do run it goes for 30 minutes minimum. I tow occasionally, heavy, 22000 lbs last week! My only complaint is the fuel mileage when empty, high 14's. It is either lemmons or your fuel has some space alien in it that is undetectable.

You'll find that the majority of problem-free 6.7L trucks are used very heavily-- heavy weights, lots of hwy miles.

The most problematic 6.7L truck in general seem to be those who are used as grocery getters. It's hard to keep the emissions system hot enough to run clean when engine load is light. Turbos tend to soot up, EGR actuators stick, etc etc.

As for dealer problems, I can tell you that MANY problems are dealer-related on these trucks. The biggest issue is cleanliness. When they build HPCR fuel systems, they are assembled in a near-clean room environment, similar to how microchips are made. Even a tiny piece of lint that's barely visible is enough to take out an injector.

Fuel cleanliness is the SINGLE most important thing you can do to help your newer HPCR truck live long. It doesn't matter how clean is the fuel you buy-- the factory filtration setup is woefully inadequate (just my opinion).

I personally think it takes a LOT of filtration to get the fuel clean enough to let the injectors and such last. For example, the factory filtration setup is a single pass 7 micron filter, right? To get the fuel to be "clean enough" would take a THREE-stage filter setup, with the first stage being 7 micron, followed by two successive 3 micron filters WITH fuel being recirculated though these filters via the bypass circuit of the engine.

So in the end we're talking about multiple passes through a 3-stage filtration system! How do you think this compared for fuel cleanliness to the factory single-pass 7 micron setup?

If I were to buy a HPCR truck, I would buy TWO of the glacier 2-micron remote filter heads, plumb them after the factory filter, and recirculate fuel through them.

Now, this filtration setup won't fix turbo or software problems, but injectors on these trucks are by far the most common failure mode, and of those injector failures, debris is the overwhelming reason they fail.

So better filtration in some ways is that probervial "20% that gets you 80%". In other words, fixing only 20% of the causes end up eliminating 80% of the failures.

Justin
Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Techs and the engineer's don't know what real world problems to expect from new products.Changes like the 6.7 used to make my butt pucker every year.Two or three years later they're repaired like its no big deal.But that initial model change was a Tylenol headache for every one involved.I knew techs and service managers that QUIT Ford dealers over the 6.0. Think how the customers felt.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN

As for dealer problems, I can tell you that MANY problems are dealer-related on these trucks.

Justin
Thank you for saying that. Now I'm not saying all dealers helped make the problems but there are a lot out there that just don't know what they are doing on these new trucks. Also when the trucks had first come out (I would say for about 6 months) that the owners caused a lot of prblems to like wrong fuel, wrong oil (still see this sometimes), and leaving it idle to long (had a guy complain DPF full and he said they left it running for 3 hours without moving it).

Quick Reply: Both 08 6.7's DOA