3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Aux Fuel tank with the 6.7lt

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux Fuel tank with the 6.7lt

Would like to install a gravity feed aux tank in my new 07 6.7lt. Has anyone done this yet? Will it work? A friend mention that he gets an engine light if his fuel cap is not on tight - that the fuel system is pressurized.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:23 PM

What about the kits that Northern tool sells? It connects into the fuel filler neck I believe and has some type of fuel valve to prevent overfilling.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:03 PM

I am considering the RDS tanks from Northern with the install kit. I will give RDS a call tomorrow to get their recommendations.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Keep us posted because I am going to do he same.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 AM

I ordered one of the tanks on Tuesday and the fill kit so the kit should be here possibly tomorrow, but the tank is coming from the factory and will be at least another week probably. I will post back when I get it installed. I ordered the 51 gallon tank.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM

I have the Northern Tool tank and kit. Was an easy install on our trucks since you can reach the oem fill hose quite easily.
I found that the first time I left the shutoff valve open on the tank while the oem tank was full it took 50 miles for a code to trip and the check engine light came on. I stopped and turned off the valve and 15 miles later the check engine light went off.
Now I wait till my fuel is low enough that I can use the aux. tank overnite and turn it off in the AM , no problems now.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Another option to consider, although you don't get as much additional capacity: You can buy a 52 gallon fuel tank from Dodge that is a straight replacement for the stock 34 gallon tank.

I went this route for a couple of reasons: I had an in-bed aux tank on my Ford and it was great, but the bed on this Dodge is already smaller and I had also heard of the CEL problems that come up sometimes with adding aux tanks on these new trucks. I was also considering a 60 gallon Aerotank, but that drops the spare tire 6 inches.

The dealer can install the tank, thus it's covered under warranty and there are never any questions of what is at fault if the truck has a fuel related problem later. Also, the new tank comes with an external fuel pump to boost the line pressure from the tank to the injection pump.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
Another option to consider, although you don't get as much additional capacity: You can buy a 52 gallon fuel tank from Dodge that is a straight replacement for the stock 34 gallon tank.

I went this route for a couple of reasons: I had an in-bed aux tank on my Ford and it was great, but the bed on this Dodge is already smaller and I had also heard of the CEL problems that come up sometimes with adding aux tanks on these new trucks. I was also considering a 60 gallon Aerotank, but that drops the spare tire 6 inches.

The dealer can install the tank, thus it's covered under warranty and there are never any questions of what is at fault if the truck has a fuel related problem later. Also, the new tank comes with an external fuel pump to boost the line pressure from the tank to the injection pump.
MtnTrucker what did that 52 gal tank cost (installed)
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks to Rrloren and knowing it works I ordered the 51 gal tank and kit today. Will keep the board posted re progress.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM

I added a 180 L slip tank on my 5.9 quite some time ago
all it took was some 1/2 inch fuel line a valve and a T
went thru the rubber plug in the front of the box with a larger peice of hose to stop chaffing
and ran into the kick off tube running into the filler hose
havent had any problem and its been a yr so far
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM

aux. fuel tank

mtntrucker. can you give me a dodge part number for the 51 gal. tank my local dodge dealer knows nothing about a tank like this and said there never has or will be one available. thanks
2006 dodge qc. 4x4 dark blue 10,000 miles stock at this time

Last edited by alwaysdiesel; 07-09-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM

Any more info on that?

Pics/specs/part numbers etc?

Im guessing its for longbeds only correct? I dont see how there would be room just eyeballing underneath my shortbed...

So you are talking about the new chassis/cab rear mounted tank, right?
52 gallons
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey, sorry for the delay with the info. No, the 52 gal tank is for a Quad cab short bed. The dealer list price is $607 and the part number is 5032219AA. You also need to order the fuel module kit for $225 part number 68003875AA. That kit gives you an external high floe fuel pump and tank sending unit that will work correctly with your overhead trip computer.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 AM

thanks mtntrucker, i,m going to head back to the dealer and see if that will work on my 06 with a 5.9l today going from 34 to 52 gallons will be great.

2006 2500 qc 4x4 5.9 big horn dk. blue ,all stock
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 AM

Hey, sorry for the delay with the info. No, the 52 gal tank is for a Quad cab short bed. The dealer list price is $607 and the part number is 5032219AA. You also need to order the fuel module kit for $225 part number 68003875AA. That kit gives you an external high floe fuel pump and tank sending unit that will work correctly with your overhead trip computer.
Really? I may have to check that out, I just cant imagine where they stuffed that big ole tank under a Quad/short.
Where does it mount?

Can you get any pictures of it?
It would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Aux Fuel tank with the 6.7lt